Our Dark Souls 3 guide leaves no upgrade stone unturned. Put down bosses, collect powerful loot, recruit NPCs and triumph over your foes. Now includes both DLC packs found in The Fire Fades edition.
Dark Souls 3 is hard. Although it starts you off gently (well, comparatively) the difficulty escalates rapidly, and the linear world opens into a branching, twisting maze. Which way should you go? What should you go? Where can you find a decent sword? What is that thing that keeps murdering you? How do you get that item glow that's been taunting you for 45 minutes while you fell off cliffs and were eaten by plant monsters?
We've been bashing away at Dark Souls 3 for weeks now, dying over and over again in the pursuit of victory. Don't be like us. Learn from our mistakes. Profit from the sweat of our brows. If you've got questions, we've got answers.
Whether you're a total beginner looking for an explanation of all those numbers, a hardened veteran wanting to double check an NPC quest or covenant location, or in need of a step-by-step walkthrough before you shut down and sob in terror, we want to help. This is a work-in-progress guide we'll be adding material to as quickly as we can; let us know what you'd like to see as a priority.
Let's start with some general, in-depth guides and detailed breakdowns; scroll down for the main walkthrough.
A few quick pointers for those starting Dark Souls 3 for the first time. Is this your first Souls game? Make sure to have a squizz.
Things even experienced Souls players might not know. Find out how From Software mixed it up this time.
If you're an expert dungeon crawler just looking for some tips on the bosses, this is your go-to.
A few steps to help you play the game in co-op with a friend, or any other online player.
A guide to building a stealthy, ranged character who can nervously snipe their way through Dark Souls 3 without twitch reflexes. Designed as a companion to our walkthrough and built with vanilla equipment, tested and updated through both DLC as well as the base game.
Just want to know what to do and in what order, but don't need your hand held? This bare-bones guide gives you a list of goals in each vanilla game area, without spoiling the pleasures of exploration.
There are three endings. Which one will you see? Start planning early to avoid disappointment.
Don't miss a friendly face - or turn your back on a foe. Vendors, summons, quest lines: it's all here.
Trainers. Side quests. Invading phantoms. Your one stop, quick cheat sheet for everything NPC - spoiler free, unless you dig deeper.
The hollowing system has been overhauled for Dark Souls 3, and is intimately tied to one possible ending.
More convoluted multiplayer clans to pledge your life to - or to avoid. How it works, how to rank up and what the benefits are.
Is it worth the souls? We list the benefits and detail how to get at the treasure behind this tantalising locked gate.
Not sure what to spend your Titanite Chunks on? We have just the blade for you. Not as good as it was at release but still tasty.
Cheap? Yes. Honourable? No. Get it anyway. It's all too easy to miss.
The pieces you need to become a dragon in Dark Souls 3, where to find them, and how use them. Rad as heck.
Who, what, and how to get the "Very Good" rock your invaders keep taunting you with. Plus some other stuff, we guess.
Why cash in a boss soul for currency when you could unlock exclusive loot? The results of transposition laid bare. Play the game through twice to get everything, you glutton.
Upgrade your Estus Flask and health spam your way through the toughest encounters. Why wouldn't you?
Most of the time, you're just being trolled - but sometimes there really is quite something ahead.
Don't be silly, upgrade your bonfire pronto. They say Souls players enjoy suffering, but there's no reason to do it the hard way.
If you just want to make sure you've seen and done everything without spoilers, or you're looking for the location of a particular new item, this is the page for you. Links back to specific walkthrough pages so you can get what you want with a quick ctrl+f, the hasty gamer's best friend.
You've heard that Dark Souls 3's first DLC adds PvP content. But where the heck is it? Don't let your attractive, honest brow wrinkle in perplexity: come in and be illuminated.
This is what you came for. We hold your hand and walk you through every twist, every turn, every ambush and every treasure in the base game. Don't miss a thing.
- Cemetery of Ash to Iudex Gundyr
- Boss: how to beat Iudex Gundyr
- Iudex Gundyr to Firelink Shrine
- Firelink Shrine hub guide
- Walkthrough: High Wall of Lothric
- High Wall of Lothric to Tower on the Wall
- Tower on the Wall to Vordt of the Boreal Valley
- Boss: how to beat Vordt of the Boreal Valley
- Walkthrough: Undead Settlement
- Foot of the High Wall to Undead Settlement
- Undead Settlement to Dilapidated Bridge
- Undead Settlement to Cliff Underside
- Optional: Cliff Underside to Demon boss
- Cliff Underside to Rotted Greatwood
- Boss: how to beat Rotted Greatwood
- Undead Settlement to Road of Sacrifices
- Walkthrough: Road of Sacrifices
- Road of Sacrifices to Halfway Fortress
- Halfway Fortress to Crucifixion Woods
- Crucifixion Woods to Crystal Sage
- Boss: how to beat Crystal Sage
- Walkthrough: Farron Keep
- Crystal Sage to Farron Keep
- Farron Keep to Keep Ruins
- Keep Ruins to Old Wolf of Farron
- Optional: Old Wolf of Farron to Stray Demon boss
- Keep Ruins to Farron Perimeter
- Boss: how to beat Abyss Watchers
- Walkthrough: Cathedral of the Deep
- Crystal Sage to Cleansing Chapel
- Cleansing Chapel
- Cleansing Chapel to Rosaria's Bedchamber
- Boss: how to beat Deacons of the Deep
- Walkthrough: Catacombs of Carthus
- Abyss Watchers to Catacombs of Carthus
- Catacombs of Carthus to Abandoned Tomb
- Abandoned Tomb to Smouldering Lake
- Optional boss: how to beat Old Demon King
- Demon Ruins and Old King's Antechamber
- Catacombs of Carthus to High Lord Wolnir
- Boss: how to beat High Lord Wolnir
- Walkthrough: Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
- Irithyll of the Boreal Valley to Central Irithyll
- Central Irithyll to Church of Yorshka
- Church of Yorshka to Distant Manor
- Distant Manor to Pontiff Sulyvahn
- Boss: how to beat Pontiff Sulyvahn
- Walkthrough: Irithyll Dungeon
- Distant Manor to Irithyll Dungeon
- Irithyll Dungeon to Profaned Capital
- Profaned Capital and Irithyll Dungeon loop
- Profaned Capital to Yhorm the Giant
- Boss: how to beat Yhorm the Giant
- Walkthrough: Anor Londo
- Pontiff Sulyvahn to Anor Londo
- Anor Londo to Aldrich, Devourer of Souls
- Boss: how to beat Aldrich, Devourer of Souls
- Walkthrough: Lothric Castle
- Boss: how to beat Dancer of the Boreal Valley
- Dark Souls 3: Dancer of the Boreal Valley to Dragon Barracks
- Dragon Barracks to Dragonslayer Armour
- Boss: how to beat Dragonslayer Armour
- Walkthrough: Consumed King's Garden
- Consumed King's Garden
- Boss: how to beat Oceiros, the Consumed King
- Walkthrough: Grand Archives
- Grand Archives
- Grand Archives to Twin Princes
- Boss: how to beat Lorian, Elder Prince and Lothric, Younger Prince
- Walkthrough: Archdragon Peak
- Irithyll Dungeon to Archdragon Peak
- Boss: how to beat Ancient Wyvern
- Dragon-kin Mausoleum to Great Belfry
- Path of the Dragon
- Boss: how to beat The Nameless King
- Walkthrough: Kiln of the First Flame
- Firelink Shrine to Kiln of the First Flame
- Boss: how to beat Soul of Cinder
The first DLC pack for Dark Souls 3, Ashes of Ariandel has a dreamlike familiarity for series veterans. Well, we say dream, but of course we mean nightmare. Cheese your way through with our detailed walkthrough. You can start Ashes of Ariandel pretty early in Dark Souls 3, but ideally you'll be at least level 80 and have completed the base game up to - or past - the final boss.
- How to start the Ashes of Ariandel DLC
- Snowfield to Rope Bridge Cave
- Rope Bridge Cave to Corvian Settlement
- Corvian Settlement to Snowy Mountain Pass
- Snowy Mountain Pass to Chapel of Ariandel
- Chapel of Ariandel to Sister Friede
- Sister Friede boss fight
- Chapel of Ariandel to Depths of the Painting
- Champion's Gravetender optional boss fight
The second and final Dark Souls 3 DLC, The Ringed City throws some incredible challenges at you - including an optional boss that broke us. Dies it answer all your questions? No. Is it packed with fan service and the tail ends of mysterious lore? Yes. You'll want to be at least level 90 for this one, and will need to be in endgame or have completed Ashes of Ariandel.
- How to start The Ringed City
- The Dreg Heap to Earthen Peak Ruins
- Earthen Peak Ruins to Within Earthen Peak
- Earthen Peak Ruins optional loop
- The Demon Prince boss battle
- Mausoleum Lookout to Ringed Inner Wall
- Ringed Inner Wall to Ringed City Streets
- Ringed City Streets
- Dragon bridge and Shared Grave
- Shared Grave to Darkeater Midir.
- Spear of the Church boss battle
- Slave Knight Gael boss battle
That should be everything you need to get through this amazing game. Whether you're a complete beginner to the Souls series of a hardened veteran, you'll find everything you need on this page to master the secrets of Lothric. Don't say we don't do anything for you.