Every E3 2015 headline summarised for your consumption. Catch up, and find out what it all means.
E3 2015 is still fresh as a newborn chicken and yet we’re totally exhausted: so many bombs have dropped nobody remembers what the landscape looked like before the barrage started.
It’s bad enough for those of us who dog paddled through the floodwaters as the rain came down; it must be overwhelming to wake up and look over the sea of news. There’s so much of it that we’ve run through our entire front page roll – and I mean the breaking column – three times in 24 hours. Where do you even start digesting this?
You start here, of course. We make it easy to cut through the noise and hone in on the news you want to read and the assets you want to see. Frankly, it helps us keep track of it, too. Let’s kick off with what we ourselves has seen and done, then track back through the week’s news in reverse chronological order – newer content at the top of the page.
VG247 at E3 2015
We don’t just sit on our butts bringing you all the freshest headlines; oh no! We dispatched Pat, Matt and a team of freelancers to the show floor, where they’re gradually starving to death walking the incredible distances between appointments in tiny amounts of time. It’s been worth it, from the perspective of us at home, because they’ve had the opportunity to get up close and personal with some hot titles and chat with their creators. Be nourished by the sweat of their brows:
- “Everybody wins”: E3 2015′s unceasing optimism
Best E3 ever? The cynical games press almost don’t know how to deal with it, says Brenna.
- Uncharted 4′s gobsmacking extended E3 demo up close
Pat was utterly stunned by the Uncharted 4 demo he watched at E3. Said he expected it to look good, but not that good. He came away impressed to hell and back to say the least.
- Ghost Recon: Wildlands is Far Cry meets Grand Theft Auto
Welcome to Bolivia where the drug cartels do as they please. You have carte blanche to eliminate them. The new Ghost Recon feels reassuringly familiar, reckons Matt.
- When can you play the biggest games of E3 2015?
Well, we tell you when you can, Grasshopper. All 36 of them. Don’t expect all of them right away, though. You have to have something to play next year after all. And in 2017.
- Destiny: The Taken King – Bungie on the new raid, PS4 exclusivity and more
Pat got to chat with Bungie and told them how disappointed he is the new Warlock super doesn’t look like Omnigul’s attacks. Among other things.
- The best trailers of E3 2015 – so far
What better way to get up to speed on E3 2015 than by watching 21 of the hottest, slickest trailers revealed this week?
- I’m no fanboy, but Star Wars Battlefront had me hooked
In which Matt tries to be cynical about Star Wars fandom but ends up fighting to keep the control pad.
- Ueda on The Last Guardian: “We hope to release this in 2016″
Pat talks to Fumito Ueda about The Last Guardian, which isn’t as secure as Sony led us to believe.
- Black Ops 3: two more specialists revealed for new Call of Duty multiplayer
Matt takes another look at one of the multiplayer events of 2015 and checks out some new additions.
- What it’s like to play the Walking Dead VR demo
Starbreeze has built its own VR headset, and leveraged The Walking Dead to show off its tech. Pat nearly threw up, but loved it.
- Has Just Cause 3 gone too hardcore for regular players?
Just Cause 3 has always been about big stupid fun. John Robertson wonders whether Avalanche is taking it too seriously this time.
PC Gaming Show
There’s a joke going around Twitter that the first ever PC Gaming Show will also be the last, but it was pretty good – especially if you remember that the teams putting it together have never done one before. It was like every other E3 conference minus ten years of lessons regarding what people will sit still through two and half hours of. A few of the guests didn’t have any footage to release and couldn’t even tell us anything new, but the rest of them coughed up delightfully. Here are the top headlines:
- Killer Instinct coming to PC, offering cross-play with Xbox One
- Gears of War: Ultimate Edition coming to PC
- Pillars of Eternity: The White March expansion “coming soon”
- Frontier Developments reveals Planet Coaster at E3
- Dirty Bomb E3 2015 trailer shows off Splash Damage’s first owned IP
- Heroes of the Storm: Eternal Conflict gets suitably dramatic E3 2015 trailer
- Coming soon to DayZ: single-player mode, server tools
- No Man’s Sky double confirmed for PC with new trailer
- StarCraft 2: Legacy of the Void prologue campaign releasing for free
For all the headlines including Rising Storm 2, American Truck Simulator, Arma 3: Tamoa, a Total War: Warhammer teaser, a new Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns trailer and the Take on Mars beta, see our full E3 2015 PC Gaming Show report.
Square Enix still hasn’t got the memo about keeping to short and snappy. The publisher had some big titles to discuss, but thanks to Sony’s reveal of the Final Fantasy 7 remake and the Hitman reboot, we didn’t get many surprises. Squeenix took a very long time to say its piece, which made it seem like it has fewer aces up its sleeve than it actually does. Don’t go looking for the replay; just enjoy this summary of the top headlines.
- Spectacular new Just Cause 3 gameplay trailer
- Platinum Games is making a sequel to cult-favourite Drakengard spin-off, Nier
- New trailer for Kingdom Hearts 3
- Hitman trailer shows off narrative focus
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided gameplay footage
- Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness trailer confirms western launch
- New Square Enix studio Tokyo RPG Factory working on mysterious Project Setsuna
For all the headlines including a development update on Rise of the Tomb Raider, new mobile games, the delayed Final Fantasy 7 PC port for PS4 and Final Fantasy Worlds, please see our full Square Enix E3 2015 press conference report.
Nintendo trotted out some great games and experiences through its E3 2015 presentation, but remained tightly focused on the next few quarters rather than the long-term view other conferences tended to take. Its shorter PR cycles and lack of big console-selling announces disppointed the core, who seem to be waiting for a new Metroid Prime or something, but Rob Fahey argues that you can’t say Nintendo lost when it’s not even playing the game. Here are the highlights:
- Star Fox Zero world gameplay premiere
- The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes announced for 3DS
- Hyrule Warriors Legends coming to 3DS in early 2016
- Fire Emblem Fates coming west in 2016
- Skylanders Amiibo crossovers announced
- Xenoblade Chronicles X dated for December
- Yoshi’s Woolly World dated for North America
- Yo-Kai Watch launching this year
- Mario Tennis Ultra Smash launching this holiday season for Wii U
- Mario & Luigi Paper Jam announced for 3DS
- Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water coming west in northern autumn
For all the headlines including two new Metroid Prime spin-off games for 3DS, new Amiibo, a new Atlus RPG for 3DS called Genei Ibun Rok #FE and two Animal Cross spin-offs, please see our full Nintendo E3 2015 showcase report.
This is where the bombs really fell. The last slot of the day is a lucky one, and Sony made the most of it. Its conference opened to the strains of “here we fucking go”, and off it fucking went. The word “games” was said hundreds of times, mostly in the opening five minutes, and then it was just games as far as the eye could see. As Pat wrote, in the past Sony has picked up the ball when Microsoft dropped it, but this year PlayStation won E3 all on its own. Here are the top headlines, which is to say, nearly every bloody headline:
- Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End E3 2015 gameplay footage
- A new trailer for The Last Guardian, which launches in 2016
- Guerrilla’s Horizon: Zero Dawn announced with gameplay trailer
- New Hitman announced with trailer
- Glorious new No Man’s Sky gameplay footage
- Destiny: The Taken King announced with trailer
- Magnificent cinematic shows off Final Fantasy 7 remake, launching first on PS4
- Shenmue 3 Kickstarter debuts on Sony’s E3 2015 stage
- Star Wars: Battlefront Missions co-op gameplay shown on Sony’s stage
- Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate has PS4 exclusive content, new trailer shows Evie
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
- Street Fighter 5
For the rest of the headlines including Morpheus sports sim RIGS, a new Firewatch trailer, the Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars timed exclusive, Media Molecule’s intriguing Dreams, and a new Batman: Arkham Knight trailer, see our full Sony E3 2015 presentation report.
After the awkwardness of EA it was refreshing to get back to Ubisoft, which has zero shits to give. Host Aisha Tyler made a return, brimming with her usual enthusiasm for the product, and Ubisoft spent an unusually small amount of time making us watch celebrities do embarrassing things. Instead, it just showed off game after game after game. Here are the main headlines:
- New Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate cinematic trailer
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands announced with gameplay trailer
- The Division
- Rainbow Six Siege
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole announced with trailer
- For Honor announced with trailer and gameplay demo
For all the headlines including the Rainbow Six Siege beta, The Crew: Wild Run, Anno 2205, Just Dance 2016, Trials Fusion: Awesome Level MAX and Trackmania Turbo, please see our full Ubisoft E3 2015 showcase report.
I already mentioned that EA was a bit awkward during Microsoft’s show, right? Well, its own E3 2015 presentation wasn’t much better. Although EA is doing a much better job the last few years of building good games and serving its customers, it still has no idea how to hold a press conference that doesn’t make us all cringe in embarrassment. (Soz, Peter; you know I love you, but.) Here are the main headlines:
- Mass Effect Andromeda announced with first rollicking trailer
- Need for Speed 2015 is a reboot, coming in November
- Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst release date and incredible in-engine trailer
- Everyone’s excited for this EA-published indie, Unravel
- FIFA 16 innovated across the pitch
- Star Wars: Battlefront multiplayer gameplay footage
- Star Wars: The Old Republic’s next expansion launches in October
For all the headlines including details of Madden 16, NBA Live 16, NHL 16, Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 and mobile games including Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes, see our full EA showcase report.
Microsoft kicked things off on Day 0 of E3 2015, and it brought an excellent show. Its fantastic line up of core-serving games and a distinct lack of waffle through the presentation went down well – so well that Matt believes the executive summary of the show is that Xbox One is in the best position of its life to date. The only downer was an awkward interlude featuring EA; the contrast with ex-girlfriend Activision is painful. Here are the top headlines:
- Halo 5 gameplay demo shows off 24-player battles
- Gears (of War) 4 announced
- Dark Souls 3 fronts amazing debut trailer
- New Rise of the Tomb Raider gameplay footage
- The Division gameplay footage
- DayZ creator’s new game, Ion, announced with a trailer
- Rare’s new game is Sea of Thieves, a shared-worlds pirate sim
- Xbox One now backwards compatible with Xbox 360 games
- Fallout 4 Xbox One will support mods
- Keiji Inafune’s Xbox One Exclusive Recore announced – trailer
- Forza 6 gameplay debut demonstrates 24-player races
- Xbox working with Valve on VR
- Minecraft for HoloLens looks awesome
For the rest of the headlines, including bonus content with Fallout 4, EA Access opening its doors to all Gold subscribers, Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2, a new wireless controller, Rainbow Six Siege bonus content, loads of indies, Xbox One’s early access program, The Rare Collection and Gears of War Ultimate Edition, see our full Microsoft E3 conference report.
E3 used to start on Day 0, the Monday before the show itself opens. Bethesda, for its first ever E3 press conference, broke tradition and opened a new slot on Sunday, which I guess is, uh, Day -1. It was a great show with some big properties, which Matt believes proves that Bethesda has entered the publishing big leagues. Here are the main headlines:
- Fallout 4
- Fallout Shelter iPad game out now
- Dishonored 2 coming 2016 – first trailer
For the rest of the headlines, including Fallout 4 screenshots, Dishonored: Definitive Edition, QuakeCon DOOM footage, DOOM mod tools, DOOM screenshots, Battlecry, new The Elder Scrolls Online content and The Elder Scrolls: Legends, see our full Bethesda E3 conference report.
More to come. Gods help us all.