This week’s Fortnite v8.30 patch notes are pretty hefty, bringing with them not just the content updates that you’ve come to expect, but a host of technical improvements as well.
Fortnite Reboot Vans
The headline addition is definitely the much-anticipated Reboot Vans, which allow players to revive downed allies from designated respawn points around the map.
The mechanic will be familiar to players of Apex Legends, and looks set to revamp the competitive meta of squads Fortnite. No more sitting around waiting for the next match if your friends are still alive and kicking.
Heading to the Reboot Van will also leave you exposed though, so it’s not completely straightforward.
Also dropping with this patch is the Buccaneer’s Bounty Event. It’s a set of free challenges which let you earn in-game rewards by playing a new LTM every day.
Everyone loves new in-game items, especially when you can earn them through play and they’re free! We’ve done a full page on the Buccaneer’s Bounty rewards so you can see what’s on offer.
The frequency of Treasure Maps and Chests have been upped during these LTMs, so you’ll be sure to find some cool loot as well.
Fortnite v8.30 download size
You might have noticed that this Fortnite update is quite a big one. Epic Games mentioned the increase in file size yesterday on Twitter, explaining that the extra data is due to necessary “technical improvements” it’s making to the game.
We’re making technical improvements in v8.30, increasing the size of this update. Find the download sizes below:
iOS:1.14 – 1.76GB
Android:1.56 – 2.98GB
Mobile devices with <6gb of space will need to re-download Fortnite
— Fortnite (@FortniteGame) April 9, 2019
Mac players will need the highest amount of storage – their update clocks in at 7.7GB – while mobile players whose devices have less than 6GB of free space will have to completely redownload Fortnite.
In other news, Creative players now have access to the new MultiSelect tool, the Military Base Theme, and a Capture Area.
Of those, the Capture Area is probably the most interesting, since it will allow whole new “capture-the-flag”-style game types.
The weekly challenges will drop as usual on Thursday, and all the previous ones from this season are still live. Check out our guides if you need a hand with ticking any off:
- Week 6 Challenges
- Visit a wooden rabbit, a stone pig and a metal llama
- Visit the highest elevations on the island
- Search where the knife points on the treasure map
- Week 5 Challenges
- Complete a lap of the race track in Happy Hamlet
- Get 15 bounces using a Bouncy Ball Toy
You can also check out where to find the Fortnite Season 8 hidden Battle Stars and Banners here.
The full patch notes for Fortnite v8.30 are below:
WEAPONS + ITEMS
Reboot Van / Cards
- Reboot Vans have now been added to the map at all major POIs.
- When squad members are eliminated they now drop their Reboot Card, which can be collected by other squad members.
- Reboot Vans / Cards are disabled in Solos, Big Team Limited Time Modes, and any modes with respawns enabled.
- Reboot Cards remain in the world for 90s after they’ve been dropped.
- Pickup Interaction time: 0.5 seconds.
- Bringing Reboot Cards to Reboot Vans will bring each squad member whose card has been collected back into battle.
- Collected Reboot Cards can be turned in by any squad member regardless of which member picked up the Card.
- Interaction time: 10 seconds.
- A Reboot Van goes on cooldown and cannot be activated again for 120 seconds after it’s used.
Rebooted squad members return with:
- 100 Health
- 1 Common Pistol
- 36 Light Ammo
- 100 Wood
- Damage decreased from 40/42 to 38/40.
- Fall-off damage at maximum range increased from 26/28 to 32/34.
- Poison Dart Trap damage ticks will no longer cause the camera to shake repeatedly.
- Fixed an issue that occasionally prevented weapon fire from queuing for shotguns after switching weapons without re-pressing the fire key.
- Fixed an issue where if a Clinger is attached to a player and they entered a Baller that it wouldn’t deal damage.
- Fixed sniper rifles playing fire animations twice per shot from the point of view of other players.
- Fixed grenade projectile trajectories lagging behind slightly when moving and rotating.
- Fixed Traps not activating if a player blocks line of sight with a structure but then the structure is destroyed.
- Fixed Balloon sound effects occasionally playing when entering a vehicle without Balloons active.
- Fixed an issue with single shot weapons not reloading properly while in targeting mode.
- Fixed Peppers not granting movement speed while walking.
- Fixed Minigun Rev Up/Down sound effects persisting after boosting on a Driftboard.
- Fixed an issue with Ziplines after using a Launch Pad that could cause the player to jump higher.
- Fixed an issue with players getting knocked backward when firing the Pirate Cannon upwards.
- Fixed Pirate Cannons getting stuck in an indefinite horizontal rotation.
- Fixed an issue with Boom Bow not showing up with the Visualize Sound Effects option.
- Fixed an issue with vehicles shot by Boom Bow not playing hit notification sound effects.
- Fixed an issue with the Boom Bow having longer than expected projectile trail effects.
- Fixed an issue with Boom Bow projectile effects occasionally flying through enemies.
- Fixed a spelling error in the elimination feed with Boom Bow.
Buccaneer’s Bounty Event
- A different Limited Time Mode rotates in every day from April 10 – April 15.
- Drop in and Complete free Challenges to earn in-game rewards.
- Increased the spawn rate of Treasure Maps for the duration of this event:
- Floor Loot: Increased availability from .25% to .5%
- Chests: Increased availability from 1.55% to 3.05%
- All aspect ratios will have the same vertical FOV on Mac and PC.
- In the near future, ultrawide monitors will be limited to 16:9 in competitive game modes.
- Added separate controller sensitivities for building and editing structures.
- The Glider Redeploy item is now sorted to the right along with other consumables when “Auto sort consumables to the right” is enabled.
- Added ability to cycle hotbar items while gliding.
- Hit markers are now server authoritative.
- We’ve heard the feedback that hit markers are sometimes seen for shots but don’t apply damage, so we’re going to delay showing them until the server has confirmed the hit.
- Fixed sniper damage not causing damaged players to play a reaction animation.
- Adjusted how Storm damage is applied so that players entering the Storm will have a set amount of time before damage is applied.
- The initial instance of damage will start 1 second after entering the Storm.
- Fixed an issue where players would incorrectly edit structure behind them when backed up close to a player built wall.
- Players dropping in warm-up will not award eliminations if another player caused them to receive fall damage.
- Fixed Traps being hidden underneath certain floor pieces that don’t completely align with the grid.
- New Tournament – April 13 & 14: Fortnite World Cup Online Open Week 1 ($1,000,000 total prize pool!)
- Top performers in each server region will qualify to the Fortnite World Cup Finals in New York City. Full Fortnite World Cup details and official rules can be found here: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/competitive/events/world-cup
- Solo Game Mode
- Participation in this event requires players to have reached Champion League in Arena.
- Region Lock is in effect – players may only participate in the qualifier for a single server region each week of the Online Opens. The server region of the first match entered for that weekend’s tournament will be the one the player will be locked into for that entire weekend.
- April 13 – Round One: All Eligible Players.
- April 14 – Round Two: Top 3000 Players from Round One.
- Tournament rewards can now be viewed directly in each tournament session.
- Server Replays are now available in leaderboards for PC Players – Players can now view the active server replays of top leaderboard performers. This will be expanded to all platforms in the near future!
- Improved clarity of which regions tournament is currently being viewed.
- Various level streaming performance optimizations for Switch and Xbox One to reduce cases where players see blurry buildings.
- Improved texture streaming performance and memory overhead on Switch.
- Improved performance for Traps.
- Improved performance of the Challenges UI.
- Fixed a source of hitches due to spawning weapon drops.
- Fixed a source of hitches due to replay recording.
- Implemented a fix that should resolve cases of invisible characters after skydiving.
- New separate in-air audio tell for enemies.
- More of an “incoming” audio tell that should give more awareness when an enemy drops in on you from above.
- Reduced volume of building audio loops while being structures are being built.
- This sound is now ducked by enemy footsteps and gunfire.
- Prevents unnecessary noise when lots of buildings are placed in quick succession.
- Slightly increased the volume of footsteps below the player.
- Increased volume of the landing sounds of enemy footsteps.
- Fixed a bug where all offscreen enemy footsteps and weapon switches/reloads would be silent when more than 5 players were nearby.
- Fixed a bug where the Boom Bow wasn’t playing the correct vehicle damage notification sound.
- Vehicle controls can now be hidden in the HUD Options.
- Added minimum and maximum values to the in-game FPS overlay and added the option to “Show FPS” on all supported platforms.
- Push To Talk
- Enabling the menu option for consoles
- Defaulting the option to Off for consoles.
- Wraps can now be applied to most types of weapons, everything that doesn’t fit elsewhere is now covered by a catch-all “Misc.” slot in the locker.
- The health bar for vehicles has been adjusted to now display health values of vehicles.
- Fixed an issue with the friend list was always displaying a notification symbol in the frontend.
Fixed a rare crash that was occurring when loading effects when viewing a replay.
Fixed certain items such as gliders not displaying their count properly for spectators.
HUD elements such as the menu button will no longer be dragged off the entire screen in the HUD Layout Tool.
- Improved stability by fixing GPU crashes.
- Fixed an issue that was allowing touch inputs while using a controller.
- Fixed an issue that was preventing players from using emotes while in build/edit mode.
- Fixed an issue causing items on the quickbar to be difficult to drag and drop.
- Fixing an issue causing players to get stuck in edit mode when entering and confirming edits quickly.
- Also fixed an issue where players could get stuck in edit mode when alternating between build/edit mode quickly.
- Fixed trajectory line for throwable items always being visible when using a glider on mobile.
Grab the corner house or the whole block! The MultiSelect tool is here to make moves a piece of cake.
Military Base Theme
Reinforce your fort with sleek, new military style buildings. This is the first set of buildings that will premiere in Creative before Battle Royale!
Deposit an object into the area to score a point. Use this device to set up all sorts of capture the flag style games!
- Added new Tropical Island
- Island is symmetrical in design for Team vs Team game modes.
- Added new Rivers Edge Island
- Redesigned version of the Tropical Island using the new Military set.
- Fixed a bug where players leaving islands while spectating would still be considered to be on the island.
- Fixed an issue where Buried Treasure can be spawned on Creative Islands.
- Fixed an issue where the storm does not damage the players once it is completely closed, at the end of session.
- Players can no longer be eliminated in the Creative and Playground hubs.
- Players can no longer respawn or change teams while a game is ongoing.
- Infinite Resources setting is now only used during game.
- During creation, resources are now always infinite if the player has permission to edit.
- Added an option to the blocks to enable Lava Surface On/Off.
- Known Issue: Scaling them too large causes the lava surface to stop working.
- Added an option to modify the vehicle trick score during a game.
- Allows games to use mixed score game modes.
- Added an option to the game timer to choose whether it counts up or down.
- Added new Type of Scoreboard options.
- Score & Time: Score, Time
- Score & Elimination: Score, Eliminations, Knocked Down, Assists
- Adjusted the lighting in Creative and Playgrounds to look more Battle Royale.
- Fixed an issue where players would be invulnerable for the first 5 seconds after respawning.
- Fixed the infinity symbol not appearing properly over weapon icons when Infinite Ammo was enabled.
- Fixed an issue where the player character could be facing the wrong direction when starting a game.
- Fixed a bug where players could be teleported to an invalid location when respawning as a game is restarting.
- Fixed Storm Damage not affecting players.
- Fix for issues were gameplay effects could persist when entering a new island, or across game restarts.
- Reimplemented the resetting of gameplay effects in game reset.
- Fixed a bug where players could be teleported to the wrong location at the end of a game.
- Fixed an issue where health bars didn’t follow the actor properly.
- Fixed a bug where a player who was eliminated when a game started might cause players to spawn at the wrong locations.
- Fixed a bug where players could take falling damage during game startup.
- Fixed Lava Tiles from being destroyed with player built structures.
- Fixed Lava Tiles from being destroyed with the Infinity Blade.
- Fixed an issue where the Sky Chest had a slower search speed than intended.
- Fixed an issue where the player is able to do damage after respawning in games where players are set to be Invincible.
- Fixed an issue where the players spawn in the sky upon entering pre-game when all player spawners are destroyed from the previous match.
- Fixed an issue where the game stats screen fails to appear after ending the game in Creative game mode.
- Fixed an issue where the player becomes immune to storm damage if entering the storm for the first time while in a vehicle.
- Fixed an issue where the camera orientation is abruptly changed when skydiving into Creative Islands.
- Fixed an issue where the player will spawn in the sky when starting a game in fly mode.
WEAPONS + ITEMS
- Jetpack added
- Legendary Rarity.
- The Jetpack is engaged by jumping while in mid-air, providing additional mobility.
- While flying, there is a limited duration it can be used before it must charge again.
- Recharge begins when the Jetpack is not in use.
- You can not enter Targeting Mode while in the air.
- On controller, using the Targeting Mode input will trigger the Jetpack.
- Known Issue: Infinite ammo doesn’t apply to Jetpack fuel.
- Fixed a server crash that could occur when vehicles were spawned and destroyed over and over.
- Fixed an issue where the Infinity Blade would destroy props while playing Elimination games.
CREATIVE TOOLS + PHONE
- Added new feature: Multi-Select!
- This allows you to select multiple props and building tiles to move them all at once!
- To toggle selection, press R on keyboard or D-Pad Right on controller. On mobile, a new button has been added to the HUD Layout page for Multi-Select.
- Selected props and building tiles will be highlighted green.
- You can also hold down the button to “paint” selection over multiple objects.
- 20 props or building tiles can be selected at once.
- After selecting one or more objects, you can aim at them and press Cut or Copy to start moving them.
- Please note that all objects will always move together, so if building tiles are selected along with props, the props will snap to the building grid too.
- Fixed an issue where the glow effect would become too bright while editing with the phone.
- Fixed an issue where props would desync between players if the editing player cancels cutting a prop.
- Fixed an issue where players could return to the Hub with the Phone.
- Fixed an issue where the player would occasionally lose the Phone’s help UI.
- Fixed an issue where the Phone’s help UI disappears after being eliminated with a Bush equipped.
- Fixed an issue with the Phone’s holographic preview effects on mobile platforms.
- Fixed an issue the Phone’s help UI disappears when the players equip items from the Creative inventory.
- Added 6 Military Prefabs.
- Added 8 Military Galleries that consist of Team Color variations.
- Added the Military Numbers Gallery.
- Added a standard Military Props Gallery.
- Added a new Military Lights Gallery that allows the player to change light colors.
- Known Issue: Military Lights will lose team color when the lights are turned off.
- Fixed an issue with the Cabins Gallery where multiple roof assets would break if only one was destroyed.
- Fixed an issue with the Village Shop Prefab where some furniture props were floating in the air.
- Fixed an issue where player built structures will destroy all Lava Tile Gallery assets.
- Fixed an issue where assets from the “Castle Gallery” and “Nature Ice Cliff Gallery” spawn under and over the character when copied with the “Grid Snap” option.
- Fixed an issue where the Block Chest from the “Chests and Ammo Gallery” is significantly slower than opening the normal chest.
- Fixed an issue where the ‘Ring Gallery’ has invisible collision underneath it that is not destroyed with it.
- Fixed an issue where the ‘Castle Gallery’ had an invisible collision when deployed above ground.
- Fixed an issue where the ‘Village Clock’ Prefab contains an ammo box and items.
- Fixed an issue where the “Stage_DJ_TurnTables_C” grants wood material instead of metal.
- Fixed an issue where multiple objects can be seen clipping through the floor in the Village Shops prefab.
- Fixed an issue where some assets are floating inside the “Village Shops” prefab.
- Fixed an issue where multiple roof assets in the Cabins Gallery break when only one is destroyed.
- Fixed an issue where Castle Prop Gallery is called “Castle Gallery” in Creative Inventory.
Device settings now open instantly on interact button press.
Capture Area Device
- During Edit Mode, drop an item from your inventory into the Capture Area to define the item to be captured.
- During Play Mode, walk into the Capture Area to drop instances of the “item to be captured” from your inventory and it will be added to your score.
- Set Capture Radius to change the size of the Capture Area with values ranging from 1/16 tile to 5 tiles.
- Set Score Value to change the number of points scored per item captured with values ranging from 1 to 100.
Gravity-defying jumps for a limited period of time.
Instantly grant 5 shield when consumed.
Instantly grant 5 health when consumed.
Instantly grant 5 health when consumed.
When consumed, peppers instantly grant 5 health and also increase the player’s movement speed by 20% for 10 seconds.
Reduced Music Sequencer and Damage Volume sound effect volume by 50%.
Added an option to Shooting Gallery targets to set the health bar to hidden/not hidden.
Creature Spawner Updates
Spawn Radius from Center renamed to Max Spawn Distance.
Added 1 Tile and 1/2 Tile options for Max Spawn Distance.
Resolved crashes related to this device.
- Fixed player start plates not showing team assignments.
- Fixed an issue where Creature Spawners could persist outside a game.
- Fixed an issue where vehicles play a damage sound effect when sitting near the Music Sequencer.
- Fixed an issue where Spawners and other devices aren’t hidden during the game start countdown.
- Fixed an issue where health bars overlap the Shooting Targets when hopping.
- Fixed an issue where Music Sequencer zone and wave is visible in Game, even when ‘Zone Visible in Game’ is set to Off.
- Fixed an issue where ‘Add time on knockdown’ setting does not add additional time on Shooting Range Targets.
- Fixed an issue where Creature Spawners continue spawning while in edit mode when placed on a ramp.
- Fixed an issue where Creatures can pass through another player’s island boundary.
- Fixed an issue where Team settings do not function for Player Spawn on Teams 3-16.
- Fixed an issue where Health and Shield Settings on Team Settings Devices do not take effect until all players leave the match and return.
- Fixed an issue where the player was unable to see the visual effects of projectile impacts on Shooting Targets.
- Fixed an issue where deleting ‘Shooting Gallery’ assets removed more memory than the assets originally took up.
- Fixed an issue where weapons are not granted to players in fly mode when the game starts via the Team Settings & Inventory device.
- Fixed an issue where Item Spawner will spawn weapons instantly rather than the set spawn time.
- Fixed an issue where Shooting Gallery moving targets would spawn in with a delay when placed as a copy.
- Fixed an issue where Shooting Gallery moving targets would have an additional dummy briefly, after deselecting copy.
UI + SOCIAL
- Added a setting for Winner Display Time, which displays who won at the end of the game.
- Added a setting for Score Display Time to set how long to display the scoreboard at the end of the game.
- Score tracking UI now includes the top 3 scores in the game!
- Fixed an issue where buttons overlapping the NetDebug UI wouldn’t work.
- Fixed an issue where mobile HUD stayed visible during game transitions.
- Fixed an issue where games ending in a draw were not properly indicated in the UI.
- Fixed an issue where the button to Leave Creative and Leave Playground was not properly displaying in all languages.
- Fixed an issue where the Leave Creative and Leave Playground buttons was called Leave Match in other areas of the UI.
- Fixed an issue where the build bar HUD often displays while skydiving after respawning.
- Fixed an issue where HUD elements remained on screen during game loading screens.