Larval Tears are the only way to respec your character and reset your stats in Elden Ring - beside restarting the game of course.
Maybe you messed up, or maybe you just want to experiment with one of the best Elden Ring builds, but either way, you need to know how to respec your character in Elden Ring and you need to do it fast.
To reset your stats back to the default you need Larval Tears, a rare consumable item found mostly in hard-to-reach places, dangerous areas, and on deviously hidden enemies.
Despite there being more than 10 Larval Tear locations throughout The Lands Between, they are never easy to get hold of.
Here’s everything you need to know about Elden Ring’s respec system and where to find Larval Tears.
How do you respec in Elden Ring?
First off, you can’t respec in Elden Ring until you have defeated the shard-bearing boss, Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon at Raya Lucaria.
Once you have claimed her Rune of the Unborn for your own, you can visit her any time in the academy's Grand Library to receive a repsec and reset your stats to the default.
But, to power the transformation, you need one Larval Tear - a rare and finite resource - each time.
Where do you find Larval Tears in Elden Ring?
The easiest place to find a Larval Tear is in the Village of the Albinaurics in the southwest of the Liurnia of the Lakes area, north of Stormveil Castle.
You may have already trekked over to this location in your pursuit of one of the best armors for the early game, the Royal Remains set.
As you enter the village, you will see a ghostly figure by a well in front of you. Before you get to the figure, take a right and there’s a small graveyard littered with the prostrate bodies of Albinaurics.
The glowing item here is a Larval Tear.
For players later in the game, you get a lot of Larvel Tears as you progress through the area, Nokron, the Eternal City.
This is where you go as part of Ranni's quest, and exploring, defeating the bosses there, and completing your objectives can net you as many as 6 more Larval Tears.
A second Larval Tear location outside of there though is closer to where you start Elden Ring, but much more difficult to acquire.
Near the Agheel Lake South Site of Grace to the southeast of The First Step, there’s an unassuming zombie-style enemy on top of a cliff. He’s just to the east of the Site of Grace.
When you attack him, he instantly turns into a ferocious Rune Bear. Even if you’re already strong enough to have taken down Rennala, you will still need to have your wits about you when taking on the bear.
It does a massive amount of damage with its attacks and is very fast, so it’s recommended you saddle up and whittle it down with a series of ride-by stabbings.
I really wanted to not tell you that the zombie turned into a giant bear, just for the fun of tricking you - but it just felt too mean.
Other Larval Tear locations in Elden Ring
Here's where to check for the remaining Larval Tears
Liurnia Larval Tears
- Between Rose Church and Boilprawn Shack - One of the lobsters turns into a Grafted Scion upon defeat, and the Scion drops a Tear
- Complete the Resurrection Painting challenge behind Caria Manor
- Buy one from Pidia in Caria Manor. Find him by dropping down onto the ramparts near Seluvis' Rise
Caelid Larval Tears
- West of the Cathedral of Dragon Communion is another zombie-like for. Defeat it, and it turns into a Troll, who drops a Tear.
Altus Plateau Larval Tears
- Travel south of Windmill Village, hugging the cliffside until you reach the area shown in the image above. Defeat the undead soldier, then defeat the Lion Guardian it transforms into.
Mt. Gelmir Larval Tears
- Head northeast from the Road of Iniquity Site of Grace and defeat the giant Wormface there. It's similar to the one you may have fought near Altus Plateau's Minor Erdtree.
Mt. Gelmir Larval Tears
Consecrated Snowfield Larval Tears
There's no Larval Tear in the Mountaintops region, but if you use the Lift of Rold and travel to the Consecrated Snowfield, you'll find one southest of the Inner Snowfield Site of Grace. Defeat the three pilgrims in the snow. One of them turns into a Rune bear, which drops the Tear upon defeat.
Siofra River Larval Tears
- Buy from the merchant
Nokron Larval Tears
- Defeat the Mimic Tear to get two Larval Tears
- On a corpse near the gazebo in the area where you find the Glovewort Picker's Bell Bearing
- On a corpse west of the gazebo
- Defeat the Silver Tear in Night's Sacred Ground, near where the Black Whetblade is located
Nokstella Larval Tears
- Defeat the Silver Tear disguised as a ball on the bridge
- Defeat the Silver Tear disguised as a ball on the building immediately north of the bridge
How many times can you respec in Elden Ring?
Because of the rarity of Larval Tears, you need to be very sure about what you’re doing before you commit to a stat reset.
In addition to the 2 overworld locations above, there are 8 more available in the video from our friends at Arekkz Gaming below.
We’ll update this page as we find more, but two is enough to fix the mistakes you made first time around - realise that you liked what you had before better - then finally settle on something before the late game.
For more on the items you can find and systems you need to master, check out our Elden Ring guide.