Pokémon X and Pokémon Y has a new trailer showing the evolved forms of starter Pokémon, Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie. Both Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Mewtwo Y can be seen in today’s trailer as well. Other new Pokémon revealed today include Mega Garchomp, new Pokémon that have a male and female form, like Meowstic, and one Pokémon players can customize, Furfrou.
A whole lot of Pokémon X & Y news
Since Pokemon has evolved considerably over the years since I played it last, I get a bit confused over how things work - so I'm just going to let Nintendo tell you all about it.
"Mewtwo can achieve Mega Evolution, an extremely powerful form that only certain Pokémon can access during battles in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y.
"It is now known that Mewtwo can Mega Evolve into either Mega Mewtwo X or Mega Mewtwo Y, depending on which Mega Stone Mewtwo holds—Mewtwonite X or Mewtwonite Y. The previously announced Mega Mewtwo is in fact Mega Mewtwo Y; Mega Mewtwo X is being introduced for the first time today.
"Players can obtain Mewtwonite X in Pokémon X and Mega Evolve Mewtwo into Mega Mewtwo X, which gains the Fighting type to go along with its Psychic type. Players can Mega Evolve Mewtwo into Mega Mewtwo Y, whose Special Attack is greatly boosted, by obtaining Mewtwonite Y in Pokémon Y."
"Mega Garchomp, announced today, is a dragon and ground type Pokémon, and the Mega Evolved version of Garchomp in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y.
"The increased energy released by its Mega Evolution "turns Mega Garchomp’s arms into huge blades that send out a furious attack." Mega Garchomp’s Attack and Special Attack are greatly increased after it Mega Evolves, so its Dragon-type move Dragon Claw becomes "extra ferocious."
Evolved Forms of Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie have also been revealed. Once again, I will let Nintendo explain them to you:
- When Chespin evolves into Quilladin, the hard spikes on its body grow even sturdier, and it’s able to withstand the impact of even something the size of a tractor-trailer truck without flinching. Its solid shell repels attacks while it strikes back with its pointed spines. The gentle Spiny Armor Pokémon never seeks out battles on its own, but when an opposing Pokémon strikes, it fights back! It can learn the Ground-type move Mud Shot, which does damage to opponents and lowers their Speed. This move is super effective against Fire-type Pokémon, which are usually tough opponents for Grass types like Quilladin.
- Braixen is the evolved form of the Fire-type Fox Pokémon Fennekin. Players will notice that Braixen keeps a small twig tucked into its tail. Fennekin often snacks on a twig, but Braixen uses it in another way—the twig calms its mind and is also sometimes used in battle after being set aflame with a little friction. Braixen can learn the Psychic-type move Psyshock, a special move that deals damage based on the opponent’s Defense, as if it were a physical move. Players will want to use Psyshock on opponents that have high Special Defense.
- Froakie's jumping skills are greatly improved when it evolves into Frogadier. This Bubble Frog Pokémon can reach to the top of a 2,000-foot tower with ease and eludes its opponents by leaping around ceilings or into trees. Frogadier can learn the Flying-type move Bounce, which sends the user into the air on its first turn so it can attack on the second. Bounce is super effective against Grass-type Pokémon, which often pose a challenge for Water types like Frogadier.
Some Pokémon both games possess a number of different forms, some of which are being revealed for the very first time today as well. One is a poodle, and then there's Meowstic.
Again - I'll let Nintendo take it from here:
- The stylish Poodle Pokémon, Furfrou, can be groomed into a number of different appearances. The more it is groomed, the more styles may become available, some of which are being shown for the first time today. Players will be alerted to Furfrou’s grooming schedule, and if it’s left untended, its fur will grow long and shaggy, returning to Furfrou’s original look. This Pokémon is very intelligent and loyal to its Trainer, and it’s said that in ancient times Furfrou guarded the king of the Kalos region. Furfrou can learn Baby-Doll Eyes, a new Fairy-type move debuting in Pokémon X andPokémon Y that allows its user to go first regardless of Speed and can lower the opponent’s Attack stat.
- Meowstic is a never-before-seen Psychic-type Pokémon that has different forms depending on its gender. This expressionless Constraint Pokémon does not show emotion to others, but it seems that some Trainers love the unsociable front it puts on. Unlike other Pokémon that have different forms based on gender, the moves Meowstic can learn will differ based on whether it’s male or female. Male Meowstic can learn the Psychic-type move Miracle Eye, a move that allows future moves to hit regardless of the opponent's evasion, making it a powerful support in battle. Female Meowstic are better at outright attacks and can learn the Psychic-type move Extrasensory, which not only does damage but can also cause the target to flinch so it can’t use moves on that turn.
Trainers and Team Flare
Trainers can now also show off their "style" by going to boutiques and salons to change their outfits and hairstyles. You can change your clothes, hat, shoes, and accessories as there are many boutiques in many of the cities throughout the Kalos region.
Adding to this customized feature, when players change their outfits and hairstyles, their icons on the Player Search System update too as well.
More has also been revealed about Team Flare, and it is believed that five Scientists are "the driving force behind this mysterious group, each one identified by a different hairstyle and unique outfit." The term "Flare" suits them, apparently.
Anyway, the purple-haired woman is Celosia, the orange-haired woman is Aliana, the green-haired woman is Bryony, and the blue-haired woman is Mable.
There is one man among the Scientists called Xerosic, who is identifiable by his red goggles and red hair. Their focus is world-changing, and they have a clear goal in mind, but that is still a mystery.
Other people you will come across in the Kalos region include the famous movie star Diantha, who is also a Pokémon Trainer who shows interest in other Trainers with potential.
Pokémon X and Pokémon Y launch on October 12 for 3DS.