The January transfer window has long since passed, but could it be time to save your season with someone new between the sticks? Often underrated despite their massive importance, the world’s best goalkeepers might not be able to win matches on their own, but they can make sure you’re walking off the pitch with at least a draw and a clean sheet.
In FIFA 22 Goalkeepers have been buffed to stem the huge flow of goals we saw in last year’s game. And while that hasn't really worked as EA might have hoped, a solid goalie is still a vital pickup for your career mode roster.
While it’s still the same old names at the top of the tree - you don’t need us to tell you Jan Oblak, Manuel Neuer, and Gigi Donnarumma are good, right - there are a few hidden gems to uncover across the best leagues in Europe and beyond.
Here are the best goalkeepers in FIFA 22 by overall rating, followed by some young shot-stoppers with a high ceiling - and not just because they’re tall.
Then we’ll go over a few suggestions of great goalkeepers to sign in Career Mode, all of whom are available in the first season.
But first we'll run through a few interesting keepers we've seen come up in the meta since FIFA 22's release.
Best FIFA 22 Goalkeepers we've found since release
- Carlos Acevedo - Santos Laguna - £12.5m Value - 25 - Comedy player pictures are in relatively short supply in FIFA 22, so why not have a bit of fun? Despite sporting a pout better suited to a Paris catwalk than keeping clean sheets, you can rely on Carlos Acevedo's solid reflexes and diving to make a worthwhile addition to your team as he grows into his 83 starting potential.
- Gabriel Slonina - Chicago Fire - £1m Value - 17 - He's not old enough to graduate high school, but thanks to 82 starting potential and a tiny value, Gabriel Slonia is one of the best pick-ups for a road-to-glory save.
- Diogo Costa - Porto - £11.5m Value - 21 - One thing in recent FIFAs is quality keepers have shot up in price. To get the best value from your signing, you could consider Diogo Costa, who has a real face headscan as well as great potential.
- Andriy Lunin - Real Madrid - £8m Value - 22 - Andriy Lunin has been a decent signing for a few years now, and despite his potential not being quite what it used to be, it still starts at 85. He’s not going to get much game time ahead of Thibaut Courtois, so you might as well bag him for yourself.
- Justin Bijlow - Feyenoord - £27m Value - 23 - Nothing buckles a top defence like a suspect goalkeeper. So if you’re trying to transition to the next generation without conceding too many soft goals, Feyenoord’s number 1 Justin Bijilow has a good mix of a strong starting overall but high potential of 86 to grow into.
Best FIFA 22 Goalkeepers by overall rating
These are the most unflappable, reliable goalkeepers in FIFA 22 and in world football in general. While a lot of them are well past 30, they still perform at the highest level week-in-and-week-out for their clubs.
|Highest Overall FIFA 22 Goalkeepers|
|Jan Oblak||28||Atletico Madrid||91||93|
|Marc-Andre ter Stegen||29||Barcelona||90||92|
|Ederson Moraes||27||Man City||89||91|
|Peter Gulacsi||31||RB Leipzig||85||85|
|Yann Sommer||32||Borussia Monchengladbach||85||85|
|Kasper Schmeichel||34||Leicester City||85||85|
|Emi Martinez||28||Aston Villa||84||85|
|David De Gea||30||Man Utd||84||84|
|Dominik Livakovic||26||Dinamo Zagreb||82||87|
Higest Potential FIFA 22 Goalkeepers
Not all of these high potential goalies are ready for first team football, but given the right amount of game time, they'll turn into the best keepers around.
|Highest Potential FIFA 22 Goalkeepers|
|Dominik Livakovic||26||Dinamo Zagreb||81||84|
|Dean Henderson||24||Man Utd||80||87|
|Andriy Lunin||22||Real Madrid||74||85|
|Illian Meslier||21||Leeds Utd||77||85|
Best FIFA 22 Goalkeepers to sign in the first season
No one likes lining up the perfect transfer target only to be told the player won't move again. These players are the perfect balance of fun, a good rating, and available to sign from the start of Career Mode.
- Koen Casteels - Wolfsburg - £52m Value - 29 - Despite captaining a resurgent Wolfsburg team under Mark van Bommel, Koen Casteels is the highest rated goalkeeper who doesn’t play for one of the already established stable of superclubs. If you’re looking for an already highly rated option and have the budget to match his talent, Casteels is a reasonably realistic choice and is on the right side of 30.
- Dominik Livakovic - Dinamo Zagreb - £26m Value - 26 - While his mighty 87 potential and 82 overall has been reduced after a poor run of form, Dominik Livakovic is a prime candidate for one of Europe's richest teams in need of a top-quality goalkeeper. If anything, the reduction will make him easier to prise away from the Croatian league.
- Giorgi Mamardashvili - Valencia - £10.5m Value - 20 - For a cheaper, but younger, option, Giorgi Mamardashvili from Valencia has a good balance of affordable starting price, a decent overall of 75, and strong potential of 83. While he might be better as a backup for top sides, Mamardashvili could slot into slightly weaker teams and improve them over the long term.
- Maarten Vandevoordt - Genk - £4.3m - 19 - Destined for just about everyone’s Career Mode squad in FIFA 22 is Maarten Vandevoordt, who combines a relatively cheap price tag with 87 potential and the very usable overall of 71 - perfect for a Road to Glory save.
- Lautaro Morales - Lanius - £5m Value - 21 - Another cheaper option who will probably be a bit less overused is the Argentinian, Lautaro Morales. He has decent diving, positioning, and reflexes from the start of Career Mode, and a high ceiling of 85 potential to grow into.
- Konstantinos Tzolakis - Olympicacos - £2.3m Value - 18 - Even easier on the budget is Konstantinos Tzolakis from the Greek League, who’s 83 potential at just 18 years old makes him a perfect addition to just about any bench in football, or a decent signing for lower league teams.
- Gavin Bazunu - Portsmouth - £1.3m Value - 19 - Finally, if you’re running through the lower leagues of England and want to keep your signings domestic, try out Gavin Bazunu - who in real life has already been capped for the Republic of Ireland. He’s already had the career highlight of saving a Cristiano Ronaldo penalty to deny him the all-time international scoring record, so snap him up before his value skyrockets.
To complete your back 5, here are the best defenders in FIFA 22, including centre-backs, left-backs, and right-backs.
Or if you're looking further forward, here are the best strikers in FIFA 22, as well as FIFA 22's best CAMs, CDMs, and central midfielders.