Pokemon Go Valentine's Event 2020: shiny Happiny, Chansey, new Pokemon and event bonuses explained
Another Pokemon Go event is here. This time it's for Valentine's Day 2020, and the game has a range of appropriately loved-up bonuses for you to celebrate the fact.
Pokemon Go Valentine's Event 2020 Start Time & Basic Features
First up, when is the event on? Well, simple answer. It kicks off at February 14th (that's Valentine's Day) at 8am local time for you, whatever that is. The event will then run on for several days and come to an end at 10pm local time on February 17.
The basics of the Valentine's Day 2020 event in Pokemon Go mean players can expect some solid bonuses just for playing the game. These features will be present for the entire run of the Valentine's event (Feb 14th @ 8am Local Time to Feb 17 @ 10pm Local Time):
- Double Candy earned when you catch new Pokemon
- Lures will last six hours on Pokestops
- New Avatar Items will be available in the shop
- Saturday Feb 15 is 'Lickitung Raid Day', with Lickitung appearing as a 4-star raid with a high chance to be shiny. The raids will run from 2pm until 5pm local time on Saturday, and all players who participate will be awarded 5 free Raid Passes to get stuck in.
In addition to all of the above, Pink Pokemon will appear more often. This goes for every way Pokemon can appear: they'll be more common in the wild, in raids, in Pokemon egg hatches and as rewards from Field Research Missions. Which Pokemon count as sufficiently Pink for increased spawns? It breaks down as follows:
- Clefairy (Spawn)
- Clefable (Spawn)
- Jigglypuff (Spawn)
- Slowpoke (Spawn)
- Chansey (Spawn, Missions)
- Lickitung (7km Eggs)
- Porygon (7km Eggs)
- Flaaffy (Spawn)
- Snubbull (Spawn)
- Miltank (Spawn)
- Whismur (Spawn)
- Skitty (Spawn)
- Luvdisc (Spawn, 7km Eggs)
- Cleffa (7km Eggs)
- Igglybuff (7km Eggs)
- Tyrogue (7km Eggs)
- Smoochum (7km Eggs)
- Happiny (7km Eggs)
- Audino (7km Eggs, Spawn)
- Alomomola (7km Eggs, Spawn)
Shiny Chansey and Shiny Happiny - new shinies with increased spawn rates
One of the main advantages of the 2020 Valentine's Day event in Pokemon Go is the addition of new shiny variants of classic Pokemon: Shiny Happiny, and the shiny version of its evolution, Chansey. That also means that through evolution you'll be able to get your hands on a shiny Blissey, though that Pokemon won't appear in the wild.
There's a few different ways to get your hands on the pair, all of which are available during the event hours (Feb 14th @ 8am Local Time to Feb 17 @ 10pm Local Time). Here's how to get Shiny Happiny, Chansey and Blissey in Pokemon Go's Valentine's event for 2020:
- Shiny Happiny can be obtained by hatching 7km Pokemon Eggs. If you've forgotten, 7km eggs are the ones you can recieve from friends as gifts - so get sending and opening gifts!
- If you have a Shiny Happiny, you can then get a Shiny Chansey by evolving Shiny Happiny into it at the cost of 25 Chansey Candy after walking 15km with Happiny as your Buddy Pokemon.
- Alternatively, Chansey will be appearing more frequently in the wild during the Valentine's event hours, and within that there's also an increased encounter rate for the shiny version of Chansey.
- Finally, to get a Shiny Blissey, simply evolve Shiny Chansey at the cost of 50 Chansey Candy.
New Pokemon: Audino and Alomomola
With Valentine's 2020's event in Pokemon Go themed around pink-colored creatures, it only makes sense to add some all-new Pokemon of the pigment to the game at the same time. Thus arrive Audino and Alomomola, Pokemon new to this event in the game. As always, they'll remain in the game once the Valentine's event ends on Feb 17th at 10pm local time, but during the event hours they'll be easier to catch and find as part of the celebration.
- Audino is a Normal-type Pokemon, and made its debut in Pokemon Black & White's Unova region as an assistant in Pokemon Centers, helping to heal Pokemon.
- Alomomola is a pure water-type Pokemon that honestly doesn't have much specifically special about it.
Neither looks like it'll be all that useful in the Pokemon Go battle meta, but those wanting to catch 'em all will want to grab both. There's no need to stockpile candy, as neither Pokemon evolves.
Pokemon Go Valentine's Event Field Mission Research Tasks
As always in Pokemon Go events, there's a selection of special Field Mission Events that spawn in addition to the regular list of rotating Pokemon Go Field Research Quests. These are specifically built around the Pokemon that are the focus of the Valentine's Event, and feature appropriate, matching rewards. The Valentine's 2020 Research Tasks and rewards, available during the event hours (Feb 14th @ 8am Local Time to Feb 17 @ 10pm Local Time) are as follows:
- Catch 5 Slowpoke or Whismur: 1000 Stardust
- Defeat 3 Team Rocket Grunts: Chansey encounter (shiny chance)
- Hatch 3 Eggs: Lickitung encounter
- Evolve a Hoppip: Cherubi encounter