More information pertaining to Modern Warfare 3's multiplayer has come to light, courtesy of a report over on Kotaku. Apparently, rumor had it the game contains a few new killstreaks, team perks, and no nukes.
However, some of this information is being called "blatantly false" by Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling. But we'll get to that in a minute.
Multiplayer details leaked
According to the site, multiplayer will be "divided into cooperative Special Ops maps and traditional multiplayer maps," something USA touched upon last week when it mentioned swarms of enemies as well as survival mode along with missions and the killer kamikaze dogs. This is the first time Spec Ops is playable outside of single-player, so we're expecting some extra meat in there someplace.
Turns out, according to Kotaku, there will be 20 maps in the multiplayer portion but there is still no word on how many Spec Ops maps and missions will be released in total.
Perks are back in MW3 multiplayer, and killstreaks will be unlocked after killing a certain number of other players without dying. However, the developers have added Team Perks into the game, which is exactly what it sounds like.
The report states it is unsure of how many of these Team Perks will be added, but Kotaku was told of at least four:
- Stopping Power: Increased bullet damage.
- Blast Shield: Unclear
- Health Regen: Regenerate health over time.
- Stun Protection: Prevent stunning from flash grenades.
As far as the new perks were concerned, the site was told of the following:
- Blind Eye: This makes you immune to computer-controlled and player-controlled killstreaks. The pro version makes your launchers lock on faster and gives you extra bullet damage to vehicles.
- Assassin: This makes you immune to UAV, thermal, and heartbeat sensors. The pro version also makes you immune to CUAV, EMP and no longer shows your name in red or the crosshair in red when you're targeted.
- Point Guard: Every two assists count as a kill towards your killstreak.
- Dead Silence: You make no noise.
- Recon: Gives you a special kind of radar to spot enemies, most likely. We're not sure on this one.
The report stated it was unaware of how many perks would be returning from Modern Warfare 2.
Kotaku also goes on to cite the new killstreaks it was in the know on:
- EMP Grenade: Temporarily takes out all area electronics.
- Littlebird: A tiny remote-controlled helicopter.
- Precision Airstrike: Calls in an airstrike on a targeted area.
- Stealth bomber: Calls in a B2 Spirit to carpet bomb along a line designated by the player.
- Remote Turret: A remote controlled turret.
- Directional UAV: A UAV that can be directed into areas to scan for enemies.
- Remote Mortar: Direct a mortar team using a zoomable camera view of the map to call in strikes.
- Airdrop Trap: A booby-trapped airdrop.
- Ammo Resupply: An ammo reloading airdrop.
- Escort Airdrop: A protected airdrop.
- Specialist Strike Package: This one remains a mystery to us.
Some of the listed additions may change by launch, as well as all information gleaned for far, but one addition that will not be returning is the Tactical Nuke killstreak nor dedicated servers - the removal of which started with Modern Warfare 2.
Modern Warfare 3 will likely be using DemonWare authentication like Black Ops before it.
Official say on the matter
Now, back to the Robert Bowling's response to the Kotaku report.
According to a couple of different tweets on the matter, Bowling said that there hadn't been an announcement whether or not dedicated servers will be part of Modern Warfare 3 or not.
Furthermore, there is "no Stopping Power period," and the game has " no such thing as "team perks." Bowling goes on to tweet that there is "lots of false MW3 info being reported as fact," and that "there is no Stopping Power, OMA, Commando, or Nukes. Beyond that, you’ll have to wait and see."
He also called some of the information on in the article "blatantly false," as we mentioned above, and said to "reserve judgement" until all the facts are at hand.
At least he seemed to confirm the no nukes bit.
Modern Warfare 3 is slated for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 in November.