BF3 out “fall,” locale and m-play details hit, first trailer

Friday, 4th February 2011 00:48 GMT By Staff

A first teaser trailer has confirmed a “fall” release for Battlefield 3, after Game Informer revealed the hugely-anticipated shooter as its March cover last night.

Battlefield 3

First mentioned in 2009 by former EA COO John Pleasents.

This is the twelfth main entry in the Battlefield series, not including expansions.

DICE will not support Windows XP with BF3.

Set in US, Europe and the Middle-East.

A beta will take place this year.

The game’s first trailer was due to release today, both on GI and at the Battlefield 3 site, but leaked to YouTube this morning.

EA has now released the footage on the game’s official site.

Game Informer has published some first details on the game, such as “64-player multiplayer on PC, jets, and the ability to go prone.”

A Swedish retail listing (via the EA forums) has posted the shooter’s box-art.

The game will see you play as the US Marines in locations like the US, Europe and the Middle-East around “claustrophobic streets, metropolitan downtowns, and open, vehicle-friendly landscapes as you fight your way through the war of tomorrow.”

Battlefield 3 is the first core entry in the lauded shooter series since 2005′s Battlefield 2, although spin-offs Battlefield 2142, Battlefield 1943, both Bad Company titles and Battlefield Heroes have seen release in the interim.

The mask finally comes off

Battlefield 3 will make its first appearance a full year-and-a-half after it was first mentioned. A more formal reveal will take place at GDC on March 1 as part of an EA Partners presentation.

The game will release in the final six months of 2011, according to EA CEO John Riccitiello.

The teaser trailer confirms the fall date.

Yesterday, DICE GM Karl Magnus Troedsson confirmed that PC versions of Battlefield 1943 and the Onslaught mode for Bad Company 2 were canceled so that the studio’s full attention could be on Battlefield 3.

The third Battlefield is the first to use DICE’s new Frostbite 2.0 engine, and is expected to go into beta before October 2011, thanks to a 12-month limited cross-promotion with last year’s Medal of Honor.

1. Hunam

Game Informers constant run of high profile exclusives is becoming fairly obvious and suspicious. I can imagine a nice Gamestop exclusive class kit when the games comes out coupled with an nice 6 page glowing review.

2. Erthazus

The revolution is here.

I hope it lives up to the expectations. When Battlefield OFFICIAL game announce 50% of kittens in the world DIES.

This thing will set a standard for FPS shooters for 10 years as always… Well it should be if it is for fucking 5 years of development.

This is the best multiplayer shooter franchise (Main series, not spinnoffs) hands down. Don’t even argue here. It’s a fact.

3. AHA-Lambda

oh god SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOO PUMPED!!! =D

FEEL THE HYPE!!!

4. Erthazus

I just hope it delivers… I really want that thing to be revolution and i hope that PC is the lead platform. When batttlefield releases it’s always need a beefy hardware.

I’m so excited and at the same time super skeptical… This thing need to Set standard, i’m fucking tired of these stupid CONSOLISED pieces of shit for fat kids that rant over XBL/PSN.

5. Crysis

@2, Ever played Joint Ops? I preferred it over BF2, but BF2 is hands down my #2.

6. Crysis

Although i do love the mix of arcade & simulation in the BF series, CoD is all arcade & if enough money was going into arcade machines these days, it’s exactly where we would see the franchise :P

7. Bloodyghost

I WANT this game! I AM SO HYPED!

8. Erthazus

Joint Operations: Escalation? Good stuff, but for me it’s always Battlefield. Dunno why. I really like what DICE do with BF series, especially with the second one. They always bring something new and it’s always huge.

9. M2Kx

Hm, I’m really excited to see what DICE is going to do with this broken series. I mean, you can forget the console ports and the pc games are also most crap. But who knows? I’ll be positive on that, maybe dice can finally do well on consoles and on pc (again) so long BF Vietnam will be remaining the number 1 battlefield game if I meet up with my buddies to play some games locally.

10. combat101

IMHO, counter strike is still the FPS king, but battlefield is no doubt #2 in my books. If BF3 is anywhere near as good as BF2 then I’m sold.

11. Frank17

hope its better than medal of honor cuz dice fucked that reboot up. hope its good im excited 2 see gameplay footage eventually

12. Crysis

I actually enjoyed Battlefield 2′s console port to the PS2, definitely the best shooter of last gen, but i had more fun with Timesplitters 2, Star Wars Battlefront, SOCOM & Conflict: Vietnam, but regardless, it’s still the best on PS2(most people can’t separate opinions & facts).
    I’d actually rather go back & play BF2: Modern Combat than any CoD game (the only thing i *like* about CoD is zombiiies)

13. Shaz37k

oh yeah baby

14. tontsa91

I really hope they don’t fuck this up. We have waited long enough!

15. Hunam

We all have. But it will have concessions to please the console crowd. EA wont make a PC exclusive shooter now matter how good it will do.

16. BlueOne

bye bye COD from 2011

17. back_up

Modern Combat was good game
    looking forward to BF3 hope it has 256 players like MAG

18. polygem

this could easily become the best and deepest, most thought out FPS ever created. BF is really amazing – it has enourmous potential. the arcade/sim mix is just right and the franchise just needs a little more extra polish and some minor tweaks here and there and it could become the ueber-fps for years to come. that said: expectations are superhigh…i -as well- really hope they will deliver. can´t freakin´wait for this. so excited to watch first gameplay stuff…

19. Erthazus

T E A S E R leaked!

20. polygem

ahhh…i´m at work. stuck with a superweak pc with a graphic card from hell…can´t watch the trailer….uups back to work…(damn)

21. polygem

wheres the edit option? gone? makes sense…still i miss it…

22. Patrick Garratt

Updated.

I am literally going to write a story telling everyone the edit feature’s being worked on.

23. Gekidami

Looking at everything DICE has made since BF2, they’ve got alot of work ahead of them to get back into my good graces.

24. Yoshi

That’s only a teaser for the trailer right? So when is the trailer coming? :P

25. Erthazus

I think it’s just teaser for a game, not for a trailer :D

But aviation confirmed thats for sure. If aviation confirmed then there must be a holy damn giant maps like in BF2.

26. Patrick Garratt

It’s on the official site now.

27. back_up

day one on PS3

28. mojo

well lets hope and pray they will get servers sorted for this game.
    bc2 is an embarrasement in that regard.

29. Texamon

I’ve never bought a BF game before. Felt I missed out with BFBC2, so I’m hoping they don’t disappoint with this! Looking forward to this!

30. Johnny Cullen

More added in there. 64-player PC MP and jets. Boom.

31. Len

So so excited. I feel an un-needed PC upgrade on the cards.

It’s gonna be so good, I’m still addicted to bfbc2 so this… :)

32. mojo

“64-player PC MP ”
    dissapointing. for PS3 MAG clearly shows the possibilities of player limit. 256. works flawless, even on a 50KB/8KB line.

33. tontsa91

I guess I gotta upgrade my PC. Not going to play this one on PS3 :D

Call of Duty has NOTHING on this.

34. G1GAHURTZ

Doubt this will sell much, either.

35. Patrick Garratt

3 million-ish, I reckon.

36. albo88

lets dont compare MAG to the real thing please
    dont be blind by fanboys
    plus no vehicles just a copy of counter strike in my opinion
    u compare a blury ass texture that looks like ps2 with the Frostbite 2.0 engine come on lets be serious 64 players are perfect for helicopters tank car or whatever battle
    right now only 2 maps could care 64 players in the corect bad compnay 2
    Harvest Day and Heavy Metal
    hope that dice will make biggest map for BF3 cant wait to snipe around

37. Gekidami

^ Cool fanboy rant. Shame is based off assumptions and lies.

38. albo88

that’s a su 37 in the teaser omg lets hope they included jet fight again like in BF2 that was fun

39. Dralen

Excited!!!

40. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, 2 or 3-ish sounds about right, Pat.

41. Erthazus

64 player? I’m dissapointed that it is not more, but you can’t expect LESS players of course then in BF2.

@Gekidami, all lies, all LIES!

So he lies that MAG have shitty engine?

@G1GAHURTZ, oh just SHUT UP please. Since its release, almost 6 million copies of Bad Company 2 have been sold worldwide.

and it’s just a SPINOFF series.

42. Johnny Cullen

More details in there. I’m already bought, tbh.

43. Erthazus

and release will be in autumn. DICE will deliver.

Casual players will buy Wooden Warfare 3 and will play 16 players on small maps where they can go rogue as much as they want, but hardcore niche crowd will play this to death.

I hope they will return every feature from BF2 and improve interface for PC.

44. mojo

“MAG is such a shit game that lags like shit when 20 players are in a place shooting at each other
    plus no vehicles just a copy of counter strike in my opinion”

wow.
    moron.

1. it does not lag with 20 players in place (trust me on this)
    2. MAG has vehicles
    3. copy of counterstrike. lawl. Shows just how much u know of both games. nothing.

45. Gekidami

I really dont want to go into your little fanboy “IF A FPS ISNT ON PC ITS CRAP” game again, you’ve already proven that you’re about as one-sided on the matter as a creationist is on evolution. So i’ll just address one point:

46. Erthazus

“MAG’s engine can have 256 players going at it and not suffer from any performance issues, this was the part he was outright lying about. So no, its not “shitty” as you put it (like a 12 year old).”

Delusional Ps3 fanboy. I played MAG and even if engine is capable of 256 people:

It looks like shit from the last generation ERA. Graphics and visuals are not even on par with any game. Here we are talking about FROSTBYTE Engine 2 that supports direct X11 and looks like a next generation. If engine will support 256 people no one will run it.

Also it does not feel like a battle with 256 players at all in MAG. People fight in sectors so it’s basically 8 vs 8. I played it so please, don’t say your usual fanboy nonsence.

“I really dont want to go into your little fanboy “IF A FPS ISNT ON PC ITS CRAP” game again”

Where i said here in the topic “IF A FPS ISNT ON PC ITS CRAP” ????

Where?? FAIL? :( I play on my Ps3 and PC equally so you should shut your mouth.

47. freedoms_stain

“The ability to go prone” if they’re going to make it easier for camping Wookie fucks to be camping Wookie fucks they better take their wall hack wookie balls away from them.

48. DSB

I hope they make it a sharper game.

As far as I’m concerned Bad Company was an attempt to make Battlefield with a campaign, but there were a lot of things affecting the competitive feel of the multiplayer.

I hope they go back to the original, tight BF2 style.

49. Michael O’Connor

Almost any engine and game could have 256 players in it, when they’re all scattered to different corners of the map and 90% of them aren’t even sharing any data with each other.

As you put more and more virtual avatars within proximity to each othere, the amount of data being shared back and forth increases exponentially. To explain this in layman’s terms… say you have two people, that’s four waves of data being sent out and back in. If you add 24 people, it’s not 24 times 2. It becomes 24 times 48.

When you start getting even higher, lag can start to become a major issue. Get above 100,and there isn’t a server alive that can keep up with that much incoming and outgoing information at once withoutwithout performance degradation, *especially* when you start factoring people’s own individual connections. One bad connection can cripple the lot.

A PC may have the beef to pull something like this offer, but the console definitely don’t. MAG is one giant case of smoke and mirrors.

Won’t stop this game from pissing all over Call of Duty though.

50. mojo

DSB. There will never again be a realy competitive FPS. Forget about that. Gaming is mainstream.

51. DSB

I think there are plenty of competitive games. It’s really just about defining your gameplay in a way that every move has a counter, and every map has a tactical purpose.

But yeah, people are loading a lot of junk into their games that does very little to really focus and balance them.

52. mojo

im not sure u guys ever played mag.
    Ur just lying.
    i played it a fair bit, almost always the 256 player mode, often enough where in the endgame everyone rushed the same place (places much smaller than the average bc map). AND IT DOE NOT LAG! Not even on a 384kbit/64kbiot line.
    Stop lying ffs

53. Fin

@52 lol u mad bro?

Though you say 384kbps like it’s fast.

54. Michael O’Connor

I find that very hard to believe.

55. mojo

DSB. Well, the most competitive of the younger fps out is a browser game (Quake Live). sais something, doesnt it?
    Teh most competitive which istn a browser game sold like icecream on christmass day (UT3).

56. mojo

54 believe it or not, thats what i found.

57. mojo

“Though you say 384kbps like it’s fast.”

??
    I dont.
    Its not fast. not at all..
    its the worst “boradband” (DSL) available.

58. mojo

and for the record: I did not say its abd from DICE. i just said its disapointing seeing that other games of teh genre handle 4 times the player count just fine.

59. mojo

and antoher thing:
    Yes it might happen that it will lag if 200 players share the same bedroom, but that will never occure. not in mag and not in bf.
    What i say is that u can easily spot, shot and get shot 64 players at any given time in mag. Theres a map where the defenders spawn where the last objective is. Thats at least 129 players per definition at the same place.

60. mojo

one last thing: I might now know what u mean with lag. But that is not due to player count. Thats because there are global servers. means u can easily encounter to play against some asains. That has delay. As every other game would have. However, next to the asian guy is someone from europe running, u shot him and u dont get hitreg delay, no matter how much players are around.

61. DSB

The question is, what do you want with 200 people in a shooter?

Online gamers have next to no understanding of tactics, and with nearly two companies worth of players, even a trained NCO would have problems making them coordinate.

It’ll just lead to a lousy clusterfuck, requiring more balancing, more programming and a near impossible level of complexity in designing levels that aren’t just a stage for all those people.

Strength in quality, not in numbers. I think most people will recognize the former before they enjoy the latter.

62. Erthazus

“The question is, what do you want with 200 people in a shooter?”

WAR. Thats a question of a fun factor really.

for example MAG is OK game but it is balanced really well actually, but most of the battles are 8vs8 in each sector.

63. mojo

u can actualy have well coordinated battles in MAG (in the limits of a console shooter where half of the ppl dont use headset). There are some surprisingly commited commanders.

“The question is, what do you want with 200 people in a shooter?”
    Thats a question i did not ask.
    the whole writeups essence is why does pc support 64 players and consoles dont, especialy while one console allready prooved it can handle that and much more.
    u cant argue out my point just with “frostbite 2″. Yes BC has a better graphiys and a physic engine worth naming it so. but that cannot explain everything. its not like mag does as much players as bc. it does 4 times the players.

64. LOLshock94

fall 2011!!!!!! that means it will come at the start of 2012 then

65. DSB

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Actually, Planetside was an amazing massively multiplayer FPS. I don’t know the exact count, but there were a lot of guys on each continent at once. Maybe the fact that it was subscription based meant that the people who went in there actually wanted to work as a unit and succeed.

I haven’t played MAG so I can’t say, but the fact that it isn’t one of the big players in spite of its grandeur tells me that it can’t have thrilled that many people across the board.

Personally though, I prefer a system that lets me pit my skills against another guy without neccesarily giving either the advantage, or putting succes down to circumstance. The closer things get to a duel, the more thrilled I am. A bit like what strategy players see in Starcraft, I guess.

66. OrbitMonkey

65 comments & not one avid xbox fan claiming the definitive version will be on 360 FACT!! Am disappoint :(

67. freedoms_stain

@63, I’ll bet it has a lot to do with an incredibly destructible environment. BF servers aren’t just tracking where every player is and what he or she is doing, but every tree and bush in the game, every wall, door window, roof, fence, shack etc etc, that’s without mentioning vehicles. On 360 BC2 can cope with something like 6 tanks, 2 choppers and a plethora of smaller vehicles on a single map, that’s a lot of communication.

I’m also willing to wager MAG doesn’t track stats to the same degree as BF. During the recent stat issues for BC2 Dice revealed that there are in the region of 2000 stat headers recorder per player per match.

68. Grimrita

All I can say is that this had not better be the lazy outing like BC 2 and its dull expansion. Totally full of stupid bugs that need addressing and not months AFTER release but how about shipping something that isnt a bug fest?

69. mojo

68: agree. bc2 is a bug fest. ive played it 6 months on-off, didnt have one single day without at least one crash to menu.

67: uve got valid points here..
    ive read that dice stats server thing (kudos to DICE for beeing so open)
    “I’m also willing to wager MAG doesn’t track stats to the same degree as BF. ”
    possible. There are no batches and whatnot which have to be counted.

Are u realy sure they are monitoring every single prop on a map? if so that is realy a hell of an achievement. Never thouht about it, but yeah i guess u have to do it that way.. depending how granular they made it its a miracle that they get it running on consoles at all..

70. mojo

to be correct: bc2 on ps3 is a bug fest. dont know about the others.

71. Gekidami

^ It is on 360 too. And from what i’ve heard its not better on PC.

Not sure how the games online is now (better i’d assume), but i just couldnt take EA’s shoddy servers anymore and stopped playing the games MP. Either my stats werent being loaded setting me back to rank 1, the servers couldnt find any games or they stuck me in a game with only one other person, or they were down. This was on 360 btw, which goes to show that having the best online platform dosnt mean jackshit when the devs servers arent up to scratch.

This is what i mean when i say DICE have a lot of work ahead of them to get back into my good graces, everything they’ve made since BF2 has ranged from poor to just over average at best. BC2 is probably their best work since and even thats nothing special, “rushed” and “lazy” are definitely 2 words that qualify it well.

But anyway, i’m interested in seeing if this’ll be MP-only on consoles.

72. mojo

^ yeah i feel with you. exactly the same on ps3.

let alone the win or loose screen bug sais something about the game. i mean its such an obvious bug and still it has been in the game for months although the game saw several pathes and a complete expansion since… Dont know if its still in today..

73. DSB

PC still has massive server problems, “Play Now” still doesn’t work, but most of the serious gameplay problems were fixed within a month. I’m not sure about hitboxes and all that though.

Always despised the interface, but at least they’ve sped it up a bit now.

It’s very much playable though. I haven’t had a crash or a disconnect since they fixed that atrocious Punkbuster system.

74. mojo

is it on pc that when u switch between vietnam and normal (or vice versa) that ur class setups are reset? thats terribly anyoing..

75. Gekidami

Ah yes, the hitboxes. How they could even release the game when something that important (especially for a FPS) was broken is beyond me.

76. Crysis

@mojo, you really need that edit button :P

77. mojo

sextuple post should be top1 xD

78. stretch215

@72 the win/lose screen thing is still in effect(360), but it’s only the screen. You still get your winner pin if you really won. Other than that no real complaints bug-wise. Well maybe the occasional bulletproof leaf :)