A Destiny hotfix is rolling out in preparation for Rise of Iron today, but some people are having problems downloading it.
Destiny: Rise of Iron launches in a few hours and to pave the way Bungie has released a new hotfix: Destiny update 1.28.
This mandatory update is available right now but many users on PS4 are getting system storage shortage error messages trying to install it – and therefore having a bit of a panic about whether they’ll be able to play Destiny: Rise of Iron. What makes this extra mysterious is that Destiny 1.28 is actually only 1,041 MB in size.
The good news is the problem seems to be easy to fix: if you’re sure you have 1.5GB of space free for Destiny 1.28, try restarting your console. If it’s still stuck, move on to pausing and resuming the update from the download section of your PS4’s notifications panel, which often kicks patches back into gear.
If you still can’t get Destiny: 1.28 to download and install, as a last resort free up about 50 GB of space on your PS4. Restart your console and pause and resume the update again, and you should find the update begins to download and install as usual.
This last patch before Destiny: Rise of Iron is quite small, because the expansion content was pre-loaded in earlier patches. Your PS4 may initially report Destiny 1.28 as much larger than it is because of the way the PSN bundles together game updates. The good news is giving the console and PSN connection a prod by resetting and pausing and resuming your download usually wakes it up to the fact that it doesn’t need all that other stuff, and as more players grab the patch preparation and download speeds tend to increase.
If you missed a bunch of recent patches, which included the Destiny: Rise of Iron pre-load, you’re in for a heftier download, unfortunately. But if you want to jump in as soon as Destiny: Rise of Iron launches at 2:00am PT, you need to be completely up to date.
Anyway, here’s what changed in the Destiny 1.28 update, which bundles together two smaller updates with various effects. I personally am very sad to learn Shaxx will no longer suddenly scream at me when I win a match, but whatever.
- 220.127.116.11 – The one before Rise of Iron
- Fixed an issue where gear was not showing up properly in Kiosks
- Fixed an issue where audio could cut out during long sessions
- Added localization updates for Rise of Iron content
- Fixed an issue with quest tracking not functioning properly on Cosmodrome and Mars
- Fixed an issue with quest tracking not functioning properly for City Tower or City Tower NPCs
- Fixed an issue with the volume of certain Shaxx lines
- 18.104.22.168 – The one about Film Grain
- Fixed an issue where Film Grain was inadvertently added
- Fixed an issue that shortened the revive interaction time and extended revive distance to pre 2.2.0 values
Update: I forgot to say that Destiny has been down for maintenance as the hotfix rolled out. It’s back up now, so you should be able to get in once you have the patch; if you haven’t been able to connect before now that’s probably the reason.