Sony can’t keep up with demand for the Vita in North America

Wednesday, 2nd July 2014 23:21 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Today in headlines we’re surprised but pleased to be writing, the Vita is in such high demand at the moment that Sony’s having trouble keeping enough stock on hand.

vita

The Vita is notable absent from store shelves and online sellers in North America, according to Polygon – especially the Borderlands 2 bundle, which only released in May.

A Sony spokesperson said the problem is increased demand, not diminished supply.

“We’re seeing healthy consumer demand for PS Vita globally, particularly in markets like Japan,” the representative said.

“The U.S. launch of the slimmer and lighter PS Vita has generated strong interest among gamers, and we’re working to replenish supply here to ensure continued momentum leading into the holidays.”

Well. Good problems, eh? Here’s hoping Sony can get its act together and launch the promised PS4 and Vita bundle; Remote Play really has a chance to turn the handheld’s fortunes around for good.

The PS4 has also been in short supply, for similar reasons.

1. antraxsuicide

Uhh, Sony’s got to be lying when they say it’s not a supply problem. They sold about 10K units in NA in June, so if they’re not on the shelves, it’s a forced shortage for headlines.

#1 6 months ago
  2. Legendaryboss

Lol “continued momentum!” 50/50 denial & bullshit. If a downgraded model & a broken port manage to sell that much, when in reality it was diminished supply pre-May launch to phase out the OLED, It highlights more issues than expected nonetheless.

Not that any of that matters, Vita is still dropped and left for dead.

#2 6 months ago
  3. golibos

@Legendaryboss Ps vita sell better than last year

#3 6 months ago
  4. Erthazus

LOL

#4 6 months ago
  5. Obernox

Pay no mind, golibos, Boss constantly bashes the Vita.

#5 6 months ago
  6. SlayerGT

It’s trivial, but using Near on my regular commute I’ve noticed more folks in my area on it.

#6 6 months ago
  7. Legendaryboss

Cool story bro.

@5 You can call it whatever you fancy, its still the reality of the situation. If there was something big to be positive about, it would be nothing (outside indies & Japanese games). Its not just me, post E3 woke up a lot of people in denial.

#7 6 months ago
  8. OrbitMonkey

Wait Sont didn’t figure 3 peeps wanting one on the same day?

Tut tut.

#8 6 months ago
  9. LovesALLformats

There’s dozens of used Vita’s around so I highly doubt this is true.

#9 6 months ago
  10. ChristopherJack

@antraxsuicide It’s simply exceeding production, doesn’t mean Sony can’t ramp up, it just meant that there wasn’t enough stock to meet demand.

#10 6 months ago
  11. dazedonthemoon

Naysayers will naysay. But I love the Vita. It is by far my favorite piece of hardware.

#11 6 months ago
  12. xXNapsterManXx

@antraxsuicide Yup I was listening this story on Giant Bombcast and someone had written in saying that when they spoke to a store manager he said they had only received 3 units of the Borderlands Vita bundle since may, and that other stores were only getting a handful of units per month.

#12 6 months ago
  13. polygem

Some people just always know the truth, proven by facts and shit. That stuff is written in stone.
    Others are always in denial of course.
    Some just love games. To those, this is good news.
    Those guys buy systems and they play games on them.

#13 6 months ago
  14. Dragon

Oh man, my sides hurt.
    “Sony can’t keep up with demand for the Vita in North America”

Btw, it does happen when supply exceeds demand, and like wiiu, Sony probably reduced vita production a lot from start and hence this situation.

@3,
    You could say the same for wiiu and how does that matter?
    Sales wise vita has already failed, and such things only highlight that sony knows its a lost case.

#14 6 months ago
  15. polygem

Loooooool. So hard. So lol. Hurts my vita.

#15 6 months ago
  16. Legendaryboss

See guys? @Polygem almost understood my argument, even if i sense his tone is filled with resentment. I say “almost” because its riddled with (oh surprise surprise) more misinformation and he didn’t understand who i was referring about denial :(

Just because someone has a viewpoint based on sales it doesn’t dictate his/her enjoyment/purchase of games. So please do away with that inaccurate assumption. Because that logic fails so hard, its not even funny.

#16 6 months ago
  17. polygem

No, this is dead serious indeed. Wait a sec, the president just called…

#17 6 months ago
  18. Rat

My cousin has the OLED version but I’m definitely gonna buy the new 2000 version .

#18 6 months ago
  19. ManuOtaku

I dont know, i think there are previous examples for comebacks, like psp and ps3, when good games were available, great price point, and othet factors confluence together, they bounce back and had rge best years late in the life cycle.

I believe This will be true for vita and wiiu, i just hope sony makes efforts like they did with the before mentioned consoles, and like nintendo is doing with wiiu. I believe they shouldnt be throwing the towel yet, they might have bright years ahead.

#19 6 months ago
  20. polygem

what people seem to forget is that this is also about brands.

even if the vita doesn´t sell well, that doesn´t neccessarily mean that it harms the playstation brand in general, that the vita has been a wrong business decision or a even a failure (too much drama!).

in fact, i believe that offering the vita as a companion to the ps4 is very appealing to some customers and therefore it is good for the playstation brand as a whole to have such an offering.

the same can be said about the vita in combination with playstation plus. PS+ is just better value if you own a vita too. so having a vita with dedicated PS+ games helps to push and promote PS+ as a service which in return benefits the whole playstation brand and a service that sony wants to see growing because it would benefit their business – a lot.

same scenario with the wiiu. a great console with awesome content, pushes miiverse etc, stuff nintendo obviously want to continue and push forward and build on upon..so the wiiu could be good for nintendos in the long run.

sales have always been just a tiny part of the puzzle. people need to think outside of these boxes sometimes.

very few things in life are just black or white with nothing in between.

we all know shit about this business though. we are a bunch of guys talking about videogames. not more. not less.

it would be great if we could agree on that at some point, not trying to pretend that our nonsense is some sort of fact in any shape or form.

that….would help, a lot.

#20 6 months ago
  21. polygem

@polygem
    Adding to the wiiu stuff: it has nfc. Amiibo is coming. For wiiu. The dead system. Who the fuck knows if this will become hot or not? Right, at this point, noone. It is all just speculation. Saying the wiiu will be fine is, saying that it will be a failure, already is one is. That is the only fact in this scenario.

#21 6 months ago
  22. thegrimmling

@Legendaryboss I bought an OLED Vita right after Christmas this year and I love it! I have not gotten borderlands for it, but as a PS+ member, I had access to a ton of games for free. I should play it more. I barely touched the first-party titles. I mostly play the Indie ports.

#22 6 months ago
  23. Legendaryboss

@22 Not saying people couldn’t enjoy the system(s) , you just can’t be oblivious to what’s at play here.

#23 6 months ago
  24. thegrimmling

@Legendaryboss I got the 3G model and AT&T was already my carrier, so adding it to my plan was pretty much nothing.

Honestly, it feel it is more of a handheld for people who don’t really like handhelds and using smartphones for games.

Give me a 3DS and a stack of games….. I get bored. But the more fleshed-out console-eque and Indie games showing up on the Vita is more my taste.

I play a ton of Spelunky and Terraria.

#24 6 months ago
  25. Legendaryboss

@thegrimmling Can’t argue with that!

#25 6 months ago
  26. antraxsuicide

@ChristopherJack Yes, I’m sure there actually is a shortage, but Sony’s (fraudulently) claiming that it must be from some huge rush of demand for the system. It’s clearly from a massively cut production run, because they can’t sell the things.

In June, 10K units got sold in NA for the month. An interesting stat is that there are over 20K stores in NA carrying the Vita, so the Vita is only averaging [b]6 Vitas per store a year.[/B] That’s just abysmal, and not sustainable for those stores. They’ll be pulling the Vita soon from the shelves, because they can’t afford to waste shelf space on a product that will only sell 1 every 2 months.

#26 6 months ago
  27. Seventizz

The PS3 will be the last Sony console I own. The PS4 and Vita are really underwhelming products – especially in the software department. My XB1 & WiiU will suit me fine this gen.

#27 6 months ago