This new Lords of the Fallen PS4 gameplay looks a lot like Dark Souls

Wednesday, 25th June 2014 11:17 GMT By Dave Cook

Lords of the Fallen developers Deck13 and CI Games have showcased the game running on PS4, and it looks a lot like Dark Souls. That’s not a bad thing if you’re a fan.

lords-of-the-fallen-7

IGN recently sat down with producer Tomasz Gop to check out some new Lords of the Fallen gameplay, which covered everything from different character load-outs, combat tactics and more.

Effectively, Lords of the Fallen players aren’t bound by class creation at the outset, rather, they can change out their gear to make their hero move faster, hit harder, unleash various spells an wield a variety of weapons. Skill points will be earned along the way that can tailor those make-ups further.

We recently interviewed Gop about Lords of the Fallen’s difficulty curve, story and gameplay, with reference to Dark Souls.

Like Dark Souls, players can lock onto enemies, then strafe or roll around their attacks, as well as blocking and parrying in time. Poise is also important when reducing the chance of having attacks interrupted.

IGN also explained how death works in Lords of the Fallen. Players can visit a spawn point whenever they want to refill their health, and unlike Dark Souls bonfires, this won’t cause dead enemies to respawn. However, they will all come back if you die.

Here’s the full interview with Gop with Lords of the Fallen PS4 gameplay:

What do you think?

1. Dave Cook

Want.

#1 4 months ago
  2. canada12

Is there a release date for Lords of the fallen? I remember seeing one site mentioning fall of this year, but have yet to see a confirmation.

#2 4 months ago
  3. canada12

Are you more excited about lords of the fallen or the witcher 3: Wild Hunt?

#3 4 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@canada12 Lords, but only because I didn’t really get on with The Witcher 2. I think Witcher 3 looks incredible though, honestly.

That said, it’s all about Bloodborne for me :D

#4 4 months ago
  5. canada12

@Dave Cook Bloodborne looks amazing, and 2015 is shaping up to be a great year for games. Hopefully Destiny, Far Cry 3, AC Unity, The Crew and Borderlands: Pre-sequel don’t consume my life.

#5 4 months ago
  6. CyberMarco

This look great, and combat is more fast-paced, I couldn’t get into Demon’s Souls because the combat was very cumbersome and the evading was like a potato rag-rolling.

#6 4 months ago
  7. Moonwalker1982

The footage is pretty damn old by now, but more coverage for this game is a good thing. And as much as i’d love to have it alongside Dragon Age Inquisition this year, i do wonder if it’s wise to release this game when it’s going to be full of blockbusters. I mean it’s a new developer a title i am sure still plenty of people have not heard about. Is it wise to release it close to games like Dragon Age, but also even CoD, BF Hardline, Halo Collection, AC Unity, FC4 and so on?

#7 4 months ago
  8. The_Red

It has stamina bar!!
    Already better than Dark Souls confirmed!!!

Seriously though, I really liked the vid and hope the final game can feel the void between now and Bloodborne’s release (Which WILL get delayed to late 2015 or early 2016 regardless of what early rumors suggest).

#8 4 months ago
  9. Dave Cook

@The_Red Dark Souls has a stamina bar :D

#9 4 months ago
  10. Xbone

Of course, no one can deny that Demon Souls is the original… but this looks better and not just the graphics. Im more excited about this than if Bloodborne came to PC.
    Lords of the Fallen supposed to come out at fall? For pc too.

#10 4 months ago
  11. The_Red

@Dave Cook
    Mana bar!!!
    I was referring to the blue bar but my mind suddenly switched to stamina for some reason and now I can’t blame it on Edit button or anything, goddamit!

One of the few things that I didn’t like about Dark Souls was the new magic system. I really think they made a huge mistake by removing mana bar and going the route they did (That and introduction of pyromancy as a separate element to miracles and spells rather than just the 2 of them).

#11 4 months ago
  12. polygem

that miller kid – - – facepalm – can´t stand that guy for longer than 30 seconds usually but made it through somehow. the game looks sweet but i hope it wont just be a mainstreamed dark souls that lacks soul. nothing wrong with the mainstream approach they are having here but i think it is a very tough job to to make this feel right and not just like a watered down dark souls copy cat.

#12 4 months ago
  13. Moonwalker1982

@The_Red Yeah i honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they delay it. Last thing i heard was that some preloading screen showed a March release date, but i doubt it. They sure need to start showing it off more for that first.

#13 4 months ago
  14. Dog4life

CI Games ?

the guys behind terrible games such sniper ghost warrior ?

Sorry 0 hopes for this game.

#14 4 months ago
  15. Rafa_L

@The_Red I do like mana bars, but for the souls franchise it ruined pvp and kinda took away from pve cause the magic is so op. You could just use potions to refill the bar and nuke away from range. With the number of use mechanics it made you more cautious in use for pve (though bosses can still be done pretty easily with magic) and prevented the constant use of the most powerful spells in pvp.

#15 4 months ago
  16. Rosseu

It might just be me but what I like about the Souls games appealing is the fact that it’s not really fast paced, also there’s equipment weight. The heavier your equipment is the slower your character is. This game however, probably doesn’t have that. He’s running like he has no armor on. It’s more like Kingdoms of Amalur, which didn’t really appeal to me.

#16 4 months ago
  17. The_Red

@Moonwalker1982
    Good point about showing. If the gameplay had such a horrible frame-rate that you can’t show it to public, there is no way you can finish working on it before Q4 2015, especially if you are working on a brand new platform (PS4).

#17 4 months ago
  18. The_Red

@Rafa_L
    I can see your point but there are tens if not hundreds of games that contain both the balanced PVP and a proper mana bar. Of course the magic was kinda OP in Demons but what they did to it in Dark was even worse. They pretty much sucked all the fun out of being a mage.

See the problem? They needed to balance a gameplay element and by doing so in that particular way, ended up removing the fun which in my book is a huge design sin. If you want to remove or change certain features, make sure that you have a proper solution rather than a pointless balance tool that’s there for the sake of balance.

Doing so in a Souls game should be considered a federal crime! In a world where everything has some relation to the lore, themes and overall design, the new magic system stuicked out like a sore thumb. Also, “mana system” >>>>>> “crappy spell slot system” (I hated it back then in Baldur’s Gate and I hate it now in my souls games) (Now if you excuse me, I’ll end my self indulgent and semi-fanboyish rant).

#18 4 months ago
  19. Arcnail

His first swing where his weapon, arms and most of his head go through the mob looked pretty horrible.

#19 4 months ago
  20. Diunedall

For me, if such a comparison is only for the benefit of lotf. The game looks good, promises to be interesting. I wonder why so much is written about trying to copy to make money … so the game does to make money, and if there are many similarities it’s only because that the producers want to do something similar, but different, and at the moment I see it.

#20 4 months ago
  21. Moonwalker1982

@Dog4life Were the Sniper games that bad though? But…Tomasz Gop is the producer of the game and he was also the producer of Witcher 2 if i remember correctly. This one is very promising to me.

I did not notice that equipment load though, that would be a bummer, cause i really like that in Dark Souls.

#21 4 months ago
  22. Druined

I think is nothing wrong with that this game will be similar. I’m sure about one thing, Lords of the Fallen not will be copy another game. Deck 13 and CI Games production promises too be great game. Graphics, combat style, spells and another things look very good. I hope next time they tell when will be release date.

#22 4 months ago
  23. Templar0929

@Rosseu You clearly didn’t watch did you? Armor makes the character heavier and his rolls are slower. Rather than pointing out the differences in this video, I’ll just direct you to this trailer which shows this in action:

The rogue build (as you can see) is a lot faster than the warrior build and can actually perform a cartwheel whilst the warrior build with heavy armor performs a slow roll. We see another warrior build later in this trailer who performs a quicker roll (the result of having less heav armor).

#23 4 months ago
  24. Templar0929

@Rafa_L

Magic is only OP if you fail to dodge it. It’s actually easy to dodge. Having mana leads to infinite casts so I thought someone like you would love the Dark Souls route which gives limitations on spells? You clearly can’t handle them in PvP.

But yeah, it sucks to play Dark Souls 2 for PvP doesn’t it? Good thing I only play it for good old fashion dungeon crawling (which is the heart of the game despite what some other people may say, multiplayer is just an added bonus).

#24 4 months ago
  25. Templar0929

@Moonwalker1982 See my reply to Rosseu, equipment burden is in…

#25 4 months ago
  26. Druined

I think for do game a little harde we can play on it without magic:) Then we think a little more about strategy. For me is normal that if we have light gear we can hit faster.

#26 4 months ago
  27. Diunedall

I do not like magic. I like to fight against magic, but I do not like to use. I have such a long time, and not much has it changed so far .. I prefer steel and blood! :)

#27 4 months ago
  28. Druined

@Diunedall Fighting using magic is not bad. But all players is different so you want kill enemies using weapons I prefer magic spells:) But I will use magic to begin fight and if enemies come to me I finished him normally.

#28 4 months ago