Rise of the Tomb Raider revealed, watch the E3 2014 trailer here

Monday, 9th June 2014 18:39 GMT By Dave Cook

Rise of the Tomb Raider was revealed during Microsoft’s E3 2014 conference, and is a direct sequel to the Crystal Dynamic’s Tomb Raider reboot.

The game wasn’t dated but publisher Square Enix has published a statement from Darrell Gallagher, Head of Product Development and Studios that reads, “With the power of the new generation, and our proprietary Foundation engine, our high octane action moments will be even more epic.

“Multiple locations around the world will be filled with exploration spaces that are some of the most beautifully hostile places on earth and over three times larger than we could achieve before.

“Our digital actors will rival CG quality, and after hearing the cry from our fans loud and clear, we will put the tombs back into Tomb Raider, all in our gritty survival-action style.”

Actor Camilla Luddington will reprise her role as Lara Croft, and the plot will be written by author Rhianna Pratchett.

1. Rikki

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a horrible name…

#1 7 months ago
  2. schnide

@Rikki

+1,000

#2 7 months ago
  3. salarta

@Rikki They’re film titles. That should’ve been obvious with a title like “Tomb Raider” for the last game, exactly like “Rambo” for the Rambo reboot or “Rocky Balboa” for Rocky. This one’s just following Dark Knight Rises, just as the franchise has completely changed from action and adventure into horror.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Obernox

LMAO That name XD

#4 7 months ago
  5. Edo

@Rikki
    + 10000000000

#5 7 months ago
  6. PEYJ

If the trailer is indicative of what’s to come, I’m probably done with TR.

#6 7 months ago
  7. Raynor

If it was superman or batman then Rising was possible ! but as a really normal girl this title is But a hype for kids.

#7 7 months ago
  8. schnide

@salarta

The Dark Knight Rises was a bloody awful film title, and unoriginal then too.

#8 7 months ago
  9. salarta

@PEYJ Unfortunately, I saw bits of the trailer before I realized fully that it was a “Tomb Raider” trailer.

A game that addresses trauma is a good game to have in the industry. But it’s not a Tomb Raider, Lara Croft game, and it never will be. Sure, it’ll have the name and face slapped onto it to sell copies, and people will praise it to hell and back as being a “great evolution” just like they did with the reboot, but the soul of the franchise has been pissed away in favor of money.

They could’ve made this game, as well as the prior one, with a brand new female protagonist if they wanted. They chose to force this onto Lara Croft, and we’ve lost a great character out of it.

#9 7 months ago
  10. Joe Musashi

No where near as good as the reveal trailer for the Tomb Raider reboot. But good stuff regardless. And if the game is of the standard of the reboot then I’m interested.

I’ll be even more interested if they have, y’know, some tombs in it this time.

JM

#10 7 months ago
  11. Game Hunter

I don’t get the hate for TR.personally,I loved it.probably because I never had a PS3 and didn’t have the chance to play Uncharted 3 for more than 30 minutes.but I get the feeling this one will have more tombs in it.I didn’t give a shit about tombs in the last game tbh.

#11 7 months ago
  12. POOhead

fuck batman rise of the machines any day

#12 7 months ago
  13. Brenna Hillier

Multiple locations. Rhi Pratchett back on board. Set up actually addresses the fact that Lara has turned into a psychopath. Throw in some dinosaurs and I am totally sold.

#13 7 months ago
  14. 4G

Don’t care about the title, gimme gimme gimme!!!

Seriously though, brilliant trailer!

#14 7 months ago
  15. Luciferous

@Brenna Hillier This is exactly what i was wanting, soon as I realised it was Lara in therapy…. Oh man am i ever on board with this!

#15 7 months ago
  16. Gheritt White

@salarta It’s okay Salarta, if you peer in really close you can probably fap to Lara Croft and Temple of Osiris.

#16 7 months ago
  17. salarta

@Gheritt White Nah, not enough of a victim in that.

#17 7 months ago
  18. FreeZZa

I had all the funs with the last one and I’m really interested in this one. The industry screams for strong female leads, there you go. Also, she’s a great protagonist. She’s not a damn superhero. She’s vulnerable and that seems to be addressed in this game. Also: new TressFX!
    Regarding the title, I think it’s alright, but I would’ve gone with 2mb Raider.

#18 7 months ago