Hideo Kojima teases important announcement for tomorrow, live-action photo posted

Wednesday, 23rd April 2014 09:21 GMT By Dave Cook

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain hasn’t had a new trailer in a while, but it sounds as if Hideo Kojima is cobbling something together as you read this. In fact, he’s teased some form of “important” announcement for tomorrow, which may or may not be video-related.

Kojima’s been teasing some form of trailer over on Twitter for a few days now. Most recently he said, “I’ve come up with new ideas for the trailer at the gym. I’ll try them out tomorrow.”

Running does get the brain juices going, after all. He then added, “On Tomorrow’s Kojima Station there will be an important announcement. At the same time, I will introduce the ‘Prisoners’ video corner that will be released on May 3rd. In addition, the new corner (video) will involve planning, lighting, shooting, editing and sound recording made by ourselves.”

He also posted this teaser image of the video corner:

metal_Gear_solid_5_phantom_pain

Note the iDROID iPhone case prop, as developed by Sentinel. You’ll actually be able to buy those in Japan later this year.

So there you have it folks, there’s some sort of announcement coming tomorrow, but we’ve no idea what this video involves. We’ll report on whatever it is as soon as the word drops. Stay tuned.

Via DualShockers.

1. YoungZer0

Looks like some live-action ad / tablet-app nonsense.

#1 4 months ago
  2. Erthazus

Her damn beautiful eyes.

#2 4 months ago
  3. Dragon

The lady in the pic is Quiet’s motion actress afaik.

#3 4 months ago
  4. Obernox

Kojima dressing as Quiet.

#4 4 months ago
  5. Mike W

@YoungZer0

It sure does, I was hoping they make an announcement of the damn title.

#5 4 months ago
  6. salarta

I’m willing to bet that Microsoft convinced Kojima to work with them on an XBox One “interactive show” or something to that effect. Kojima’s said before that he originally wanted to get into directing movies, and this would allow him to do more stuff along those lines.

#6 4 months ago
  7. Michael Ireland

After the 10 minute rape tape in Ground Zeroes, I’m not even going to bother with this thing anymore. What a hack.

#7 4 months ago
  8. Erthazus

@Michael Ireland Too realistic for you? :D

#8 4 months ago
  9. Erthazus

@Michael Ireland It was an awesome tape. (Not just one but every one of them.) The fact tht games industry recognizes Guantanamo Bay disasters and crime is great. People should know that this shit happens there every week.

#9 4 months ago
  10. salarta

@Michael Ireland Haven’t heard it, but if it’s just that the tape depicts rape occurring, then I see no problem whatsoever. For one, that issue isn’t addressed as much as it needs to be addressed. For another, it’s not like the new “Tomb Raider” wasn’t already in territory where it may as well have had a full-fledged rape scene to round out the fragile survival horror girl forced to become stronger against her will approach.

If the tape was incredibly tasteless about how it handled rape, then yeah, it deserves condemnation. But if it was just “we’re depicting rape,” then hey, it’s not like Kojima’s doing anything truly new here. If anything, if those are the circumstances, then he should be commended for cutting through the pseudo-PC bullshit.

#10 4 months ago
  11. Michael Ireland

@Erthazus The problem with the scene has nothing to do with the content or context. It has to do with the execution.

What exactly does 10 minutes of a recording of rape and torture add to the story? What is it trying to say? Nothing. It’s pure shock value. We already know how villainous the enemies is through the scenes already in game.

Why is it a unlockable? If it was relevant to the story it would be part of the main experience. Something like this shouldn’t be a “reward”, and the length of it adds nothing. The same point could be made in 30 seconds.

Was Guantanemo Bay forcing young children to have sex? No. Than the comparison is meaningless.

It’s bad writing, simple as that.

@salarta Except nothing of the nature that you’re describing even remotely appears in the game you’re talking about.

#11 4 months ago
  12. salarta

@Michael Ireland I disagree that nothing of that nature happens, but I’ll leave it at that since I don’t feel like arguing a matter that I know is resolved by looking at the game, what it depicts, and how it was marketed.

#12 4 months ago
  13. salarta

@Michael Ireland Oh, also, by the most prominent content it inspires. It’s very telling how fanart, fanfiction and hentai have changed in their depiction of treatment of Lara compared to the badass she used to be depicted as being.

#13 4 months ago
  14. Panthro

I hope it’s news about a PC version, I don’t wanna play MGSV with a controller.

#14 4 months ago
  15. Dragon

@Erthazus,
    “The fact tht japanese games industry recognizes Guantanamo Bay disasters and crime is great. People should know that this shit happens there every week.”
    Corrected. Is there any popular western made game that focuses on such things?

Its rather hilarious and sad how much of hypocrisy is propagated by western media regarding international things, only to do 180 when looking at their own backyard. (eg- Waterboarding was torture pre 2001, but not after)
    Its the same with most countries though. Russia and China media are other notable examples too.

#15 4 months ago
  16. YoungZer0

@salarta

Right, remember all the nude pictures from the 90′s? Totally badass.

You and Michael could be the same person for all we know. You both describe scenes from games that did not happen.

#16 4 months ago
  17. The Dude

@Michael Ireland Dude, there’s no 10 minute rape recording in the game, trust me. I found all the tapes there were to collect in the game and listened to them back to back.

The tape in question containing the rape is split up into different segments as the audio recording skips back and forth, cutting to random music at one point which wasn’t taped over. Its a little disorientating, which I assume is the point in order to emphasise Paz & Chico’s torture. Of the 10 minutes I,d say perhaps 45 secs – 1 min contains the rape of Paz. And even then its split up and spliced with other things going on. Its actually left mainly to the listener’s imagination as to what is going on. Quite disturbing and lends insight into Paz and Chico’s captivity… The back story to Ground Zeroes.

#17 4 months ago
  18. Michael Ireland

@The Dude It doesn’t leave anything to the imagination, beyond the suggestion that they “did it” while in the cell. Which was completely ridiculous in the context of the situation.

Obviously the whole tape isn’t just the rape, but I’m referring to all the sexual content in it. It’s a good half of the recording.

It adds nothing to the story. It adds nothing to the characters. The points it presumably tries to make (which are vague and devoid of conclusion) is already stressed in other aspects of the story.

If it’s relevant to a character’s it should be part of the main story. It isn’t. Paz has gone from a otaku fetish dream to a woman in a refrigerator in one game. She exists purely for creating sexualised content and to progress the character development of the male cast.

It would be slightly easier to accept if Skull Face’s voice actor wasn’t horrendously bad. He completely takes me out of the suspense, waffling on about his motives like a b-list comic book villain.

What exactly is the point of it? People keep saying it’s making some sort of point or commentary. What exactly would that point be? What’s the counter argument?

#18 4 months ago
  19. Michael Ireland

@YoungZer0 Seriously?

#19 4 months ago
  20. Gheritt White

@YoungZer0 Spot on about those ’90s depictions of Lara. But give salarta a break – he’s only 22/23 now, so wasn’t around at the time! Everything he knows about Tomb Raider: The Adventures of Lara Croft is just what he’s read on the internet, and second-hand knowledge is less than reliable. That’s got to be why his perception of the character as she was originally portrayed is so warped and altogether factually inaccurate.

#20 4 months ago
  21. salarta

@YoungZer0 Grasping At Straws: The Home Edition.

Also, women can still be badass while presented in nude pictures. Sometimes, that can be the way they express being badass. After the reboot, the majority of what I’ve seen is those nude pictures, only with rape or wolf rape. Mostly the latter, because it would appear the game provided a perfect setup for dehumanizing Lara.

Which I really don’t mind anymore. We let companies get away with all kinds of crap these days, may as well indulge in what they’re still squeamish about doing until they figure it’ll boost their sales.

#21 4 months ago
  22. Gheritt White

@salarta Emphesis on the word “appear” because, y’know, you’ve not actually played the game and therefore don’t know what the FUCK you’re talking about. You’re as bad as people who decry GTA for its non-existant “rape simulation” scene. In fact, you’re worse, because you *claim* to be experienced with the issue. All your posts should come with a disclaimer: FULL OF SHIT.

#22 4 months ago
  23. salarta

@Gheritt White Thank you, I’ll be here all night.

#23 4 months ago
  24. Gheritt White

@salarta I GOT YOU TO REPLY TO ME! VICTORY IS MINE!!! Muah-hah-hahahahahahaha

#24 4 months ago
  25. salarta

@Gheritt White Damn you Daylight Savings Time!

#25 4 months ago
  26. Legendaryboss

Discussion: Da fuck are we speaking about?

Topic: “Speaking of trailers, you can check out the Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain E3 2013 trailer to tide you over. It’s still pretty epic.”

Preach dave, preach! Thats the main reason why I’m excited for Phantom Pain, its so cool to know the soundtrack hasn’t lost its way: Sins of the Father, Calling To The Night, Heaven’s Divide and even Love Deterrence are among my favourite soundtracks.

Oh as for the trailer, 49% live action footage mixed with 49% cutscenes, mixed with 2% gameplay. Although i’m sure i’ll like it.

#26 4 months ago
  27. Dragon

@Legendaryboss ,
    Yeah, Heavens Divide and Calling to the Night are sooo good.

#27 4 months ago
  28. Panthro

Blah blah blah sexism, wolf rape, japan, kojima, imaginary recording, michael ireland :’(

No need to scroll up ppl, I just rounded 27 comments for you.

#28 4 months ago
  29. Dragon

@Panthro,
    Makes perfect sense. Thanks.

#29 4 months ago
  30. Gekidami

I’ll just leave this here:

#30 4 months ago
  31. Dragon

@Gekidami,
    If that video doesn’t make the 2 hypocrites on this page understand their own hypocrisy, nothing would.
    +1000

#31 4 months ago
  32. salarta

@Dragon I watched the clip after your comment. If I’m one of the “hypocrites” you mention, the video actually supports everything I’ve ever said.

My problem isn’t games containing rape, or any other unpleasant elements. As I said before, those need to be covered more. There are only two situations where I will have a problem with it. 1) If it’s done tastelessly, and 2) if it’s forced on an existing character or franchise where it doesn’t belong.

This is why with Resident Evil 5′s treatment of Jill, my only problem with the game wasn’t that Jill endured suffering, but that her suffering was a mere plot device to promote Chris’ “suffering” and for the game to try to force Sheva down the players’ throats as Jill’s replacement. If anything, I want to see more insight into Jill’s suffering from Jill’s perspective, not from the perspective of a steroid-abusing jackass that feels bad for not being there for her. And why am I open to this? Because it fits Resident Evil. It’s a survival horror series, and you expect that kind of content out of survival horror and its characters, e.g. Silent Hill 2.

By contrast, this is why I’ve traditionally been against the “Tomb Raider” reboot doing this kind of crap, but also why I’m falling into a “fuck it, just go for broke” attitude since nobody apparently gives a damn about treating characters well in light of the core of their source material anymore. Tomb Raider and Lara Croft weren’t made to be gritty and grimdark, they were made with a fun, almost superhero style flair. Rape, as well as pretty much everything about the reboot except for being out in nature, doesn’t fit the franchise.

Which is why I’m slipping into a “fuck it” attitude. At this point, not having rape in the new “Tomb Raider” franchise is just pseudo-PC pandering. We’ve fucked up everything else that matters, we may as well go for broke and finish the deed. And unless Rhianna Pratchett writes every single Tomb Raider game for the rest of time, I’m certain we’ll get there. Assuming we wouldn’t get there regardless even with Rhianna Pratchett writing the thing. We’re already well on our way unless someone comes along, throws away the reboot and starts over again, which won’t happen for another 20 years or so.

#32 4 months ago
  33. Gekidami

1)What the fuck is “tasteful” rape?

2)In Ground Zeroes the reason for it is clearly there; its used a a weapon to break Paz’s will and get her to talk (its also then used in the same way on Chico). That shit happens in real life too, Charles Manson used to sodomize new members of his cult in front of everyone to destroy their self esteem and get them to obey him more easily. Thats the point here, its used to break the characters.

The only thing thats going on here is that sensitive feelings are being hurt, and to repeat what InternetAristocrat says in that video: Fuck people like you.
    Way too many people have this double standard that games are a true art form, a real medium just like movies, but then a game actually tries something controversial, something with a bit more depth and its not ok, its not in the right context, its not the right time, it shows too much, isnt “tasteful”. Games are equal to movies! …But need to stick to plumbers jumping on mushroom people.

Its one of the reasons why i hated the Wii so much; years spent building up gaming as a real story telling medium, and then Nintendo comes along and drags it back to the toybox.

#33 4 months ago
  34. salarta

@Gekidami “Tasteful” isn’t the right word. The basic meaning here is that it needs to be depicted in a way that’s sensitive to the issue and how it affects people, especially the victims.

As I said before, I haven’t heard the tape for Ground Zeroes, so I can’t really comment on its appropriateness. I can say “if it did this, then this is my response,” but that’s about it. In one of my earlier comments, I outright said that if the issue is simply that the game is depicting rape at all, then it’s a good thing Ground Zeroes has it.

#34 4 months ago
  35. Dragon

“1) If it’s done tastelessly”
    Da Fuk? Give me a “tasty” example of that. Jeez.
    “2) if it’s forced on an existing character or franchise where it doesn’t belong.”
    Wait, so rape is accepted by someone without being “forced” into it? Seriously, I think your fanfic is seriously screwing with your own head.

#35 4 months ago
  36. Joe Musashi

@30 Superb bit of commentary. Also, common fucking sense.

JM

#36 4 months ago
  37. salarta

@Dragon At this point, you’re deliberately ignoring comments and intentionally misinterpreting things I say just to have an excuse to attack me. Gekidami’s question was fair because I used a poor choice of words, you’re just looking for excuses to take things differently to get a jab in, and you know better because you complain about my comments often enough to know what I meant.

#37 4 months ago
  38. Dragon

@salarta
    Yeah, tell me which character belong rape “belong” to.
    ” to know what I meant.”
    No. Tell me. Tell me a game where raping someone “belong” to. Its a sad and horrific incident in any case.

#38 4 months ago
  39. YoungZer0

@Michael Ireland

Naw, but I wish you would just stop.

He’s a broken record, ignorant and proud of it. Let’s all just ignore him and hope he goes away. Maybe he’ll find a life to where he’s actually going.

I mean just look at him, he’s bringing up Jill again, it’s pathetic.

#39 4 months ago
  40. Gheritt White

@Dragon Max Payne. Raoe would be contextually legitimate (if handled sensitively) in a Max Payne game, IMHO.

#40 4 months ago
  41. Gheritt White

@Gheritt White *rape. Goddamn, we need an edit button!

#41 4 months ago
  42. Dragon

@Gheritt White,
    And its also hardly surprising in torture camps and in a survival group (referring in 2 games here), or in any extreme situation.
    And it unfortunately happens in real life without those conditions too. Same as murder. Many cases IRL are just spontaneous, just look back at some real cases.

A work of fiction should be treated as such imo. Unfortunately, there is always a group of puritans and hypocrites pushing their own moral scale onto others.

And to think this becomes an issue after you have just killed thousands of people in games.

In words of a friend, Jesus Christ.

#42 4 months ago
  43. salarta

@YoungZer0 … So when someone calls you a hypocrite, your idea of the appropriate response is to not respond at all, especially if the person calling you a hypocrite doesn’t like the examples you would use to prove you’re not a hypocrite?

Okay, cool, good to know. I hope you stick to that philosophy yourself, otherwise you’d be a pretty big hypocrite.

#43 4 months ago
  44. Michael Ireland

@Gekidami Except my issue has absolutely nothing to do with “sensitivities”. I just think it’s bad writing.

#44 4 months ago
  45. Gekidami

@Michael Ireland
    Except you think its bad writing because of your sensitivities. Just like every other issue you have with this game.

#45 4 months ago
  46. Michael Ireland

@Gekidami Except no, that’s not it at all, and I said so in my very first post. My issue isn’t with the nature of the content. It’s with it’s amateurish delivery.

Saying that it’s because of my sensitivities doesn’t actually make it so, especially with nothing to support the claim. “Sensitivities” implies I’m somehow hurt of offended by it. I’m not. I just think it’s done badly.

It’s called critical thinking. A concept that seems to be alien to some.

#46 4 months ago
  47. salarta

@Gekidami It looks like you’re mixing up the comments Ireland Michael and I made. I talked about sensitivities, but I did so saying that I hadn’t heard the tape myself, so that’s how I would feel IF the tape handles things poorly. Ireland Michael, on the other hand, was talking about things like how tacky it was for the game to make the tape into a reward that lasts as long as it does.

#47 4 months ago