Bethesda discusses likelihood of Dishonored and Rage sequels

Thursday, 4th July 2013 09:33 GMT By Dave Cook

Dishonored 2 and Rage 2 may have felt inevitable at some point or other, but Bethesda’s Pete Hines has discussed the likelihood of both games getting a follow-up in a new interview.

Talking with IGN, the company’s vice president of PR and marketing said when asked about a Dishonored sequel, “In general, we try not to wade into anything as a one-off in the first place so yeah, for sure. The success of that game and how proud Arkane is of it and what goes on at any studio when they put out something like that and all the ideas that are coming out, certainly it’s something that we feel is a franchise.”

“It’s specific to Arkane. What we do or don’t do on Dishonored has zero effect on Id, Tango, Machine Games. Each one, in some respects, kind of acts in a silo. It doesn’t really matter what those guys are making. ‘What are you good at? What are you going to work on next? What are you going to do next? Okay, that’s what we’re going to do.’ It’s as simple as that.”

On Rage 2, he added, “To be determined. We’ll see. Right now, [Id’s] focus is on their current project. They are full bore on that. What I’ve seen of it recently, I’m super happy about it. We want them to stick to that until we’re ready to talk about what that is. But let’s wait until we get there first.”

Hines’ comments follow word that a planned Rage sequel was cancelled, so it’s still very much up in the air for now.

Would you like to see either game get a follow-up? Let us know below.

1. fengato

Rage 2 would be most welcome. Combat was great – graphics were stunning. Just need a deeper world and more of a challenge.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Max Payne

Rage 2 should be on next gen only. And then game would live up to potential.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dimaco

Yup. Don’t really get all the harsh criticism about rage. Enjoyed it a lot, graphics were really something even on consoles and the whole idea was intriguing enough.
    Ok the ending (whole last part tbh) was really disappointing, and the game would have benefited some deeper/wider world, but I think that was some good material to build a proper sequel… would definitely buy it on PS4!

#3 1 year ago
  4. manamana

What was so great again about Rage, megatextures aside? The story was nonexistent (go from point A to point B), without any depth, twist or surprise. In before whiners, yes, a shooter can and should have a story. The game was rushed, has no ending and was still full price.

I really can do without Rage2.

#4 1 year ago
  5. OrbitMonkey

Rage simply proved that open(ish) world games are not id’s thing.

Besides who needs another post apocalyptic shooter?

Well, apart from Fallout 4, that I want yesterday.

#5 1 year ago
  6. karma

#1: “Combat was great”

I thought the combat was poor. It was typical Id A.I. which I never liked in any of the their games. Essentially it spawns in around you and has the same attack patterns. It never really feels dynamic or unpredictable. That and the “you can look, but you cannot go to” aspect of the level design was the worst parts of Rage for me. It was all shine and sparkles on the surface but had no depth of engagement in its gameplay. Even the looting felt streamlined and forced.

I’d love to see another Dishonoured from Arkane, but I’m wary about anything Id puts out.

#6 1 year ago
  7. salarta

I greatly enjoyed RAGE, look forward to a RAGE 2 if it’s ever made. I never cared about DOOM and probably never will.

#7 1 year ago
  8. YoungZer0

Prey 2.

That is all.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Lightsid

I never played Rage, so I can’t say anything about wanting or not wanting a sequel, but Dishonored is probably one of my favorite game to date, and I think that there’s a huge opportunity for a franchise. This game could do some really fun stuff story wise; having the outsider give his powers to different people at different points in the history of this world, and making it so that each has the ability to change the fate of the setting they’re in would offer enough diversity in characters, settings, and especially story for the series to stay interesting, while at the same time give us plenty opportunity’s to experience the brilliant gameplay of this title in different settings. It doesn’t need to star Corvo again, or even take place in Dunwal. (In fact, I really don’t think it should). It just needs to feature different heros who are chosen by the outsider that are interesting enough for us to get behind and enjoy as much as we did Corvo. I reall, REALLY hope we get to see a sequel to Dishonored.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Blarrgg

I need 3 sequels in my life.
    1. Deus ex : Human revolution (NOT A CRAPPY iPAD SEQUEL)
    2. Conker’s bad fur day – anyone else… anyone??
    3. Dishonoured.

I was going to put HL3 on that list but we already know thats coming out, right. Right? Right??

#10 1 year ago