Koch issues THQ statement, promises “bright new future” for Saint’s Row & Metro IP

Thursday, 24th January 2013 10:56 GMT By Dave Cook

Koch Media spent big at THQ’s auction yesterday, snapping up the Saint’s Row and Metro licenses, as well as developer Volition. The company has issued a statement on its purchase, promising a “bright new future” for its new IP and studio.

In a statement sent to VG247, CEO of Koch Media Dr. Klemens Kundratitz said, “Koch Media welcomes the addition of these magnificent franchises to the Koch Media family of entertainment properties.

“With more than 200 games on notable platforms globally, and its proven success creating renowned franchises like Dead Island, Deep Silver is perfectly positioned to lead these brands into the next generation of interactive entertainment for fans around the world.

Menno van der Bil, international commercial director at Deep Silver added, “Deep Silver already has a track record for out-of-the-ordinary games, including the immensely successful Dead Island brand. Both the Saints Row and the Metro franchises perfectly fit into our future lineup and strategy.

“We’re really excited to lead these well-respected licenses into a bright new future. We also welcome the legendary development studio Volition to the Koch Media/Deep Silver group.”

Koch bought Metro game rights for $5.8 million and purchased Volition for $22.3 million. The statement adds that Koch will roll out its plan for its purchased IP and Volition in coming months.

1. Bam007

Kock media? Ha ha, I think that’s a little harsh. :p

2. Mineral4r7s

rip

3. Dave Cook

Hah :P Well, that is how it’s pronounced.

4. pukem0n

well no, its pronounced as a ch at the end, not a ck.

its the english language that makes it dirty :P

5. Dave Cook

@4 Everyone pronounced it Kock at gamescom last year. Weird :P

Yes, it is a dirty, dirty language :P

6. Bam007

As much as it sucks and as much as I dislike THQ because they put themselves in this position, at least the games are in steady hands.

Metro is going to be the bomb. Go and play the first and get an idea of what you’re going to be seeing in the near future.

Saints Row, well that died after Saints Row 2. Whoever decided it was a good idea to remove multiplayer and force an online pass for local co-op with Saints Row: The Third, I hope you are happy with yourself now.

Let’s hope that Volition can bring Saints Row back to what it was with the help and support of Koch Media.

7. sh4dow

Oh man… Koch is even worse than THQ used to be :/

8. Erthazus

Koch is not worse, Koch is actually much better and they have money to support these franchises.

These devs are in good hands.

9. aseddon130

@6 are you seriously trying to say that Saints Row peaked at 2??? 2 was by far the worst of the series and The Third basically put it on the map to being one of the best open world games in the last few years. It propelled the series from being ‘another GTA clone’ to something very different to anything GTA has done.

Not saying it is better than the GTA series though, as it isn’t. It has now found its footing in the market. The Third was an astounding game!

10. schaffigames

I hope that I’m just too tired to understand this: From what I understand it reads like Deep Silver could work on future Metro games because they didn’t bought 4A, is that right?

11. Old MacDonald

10: 4A was and is an independent developer, but the franchise is now in Koch’s hands.

12. Maximum Payne

@11 But 4A will still develop it right ?

13. KrazyKraut

I am more interested if they will keep the new Metro as shown in the last time.

I would hate them if they change anything.

14. NeoSquall

@10 it just means that 4A is now working for a new publisher.

For me, I’d like a new Red Faction game with Armageddon’s tools and Guerrilla’s open world.

15. Moonwalker1982

I wonder if we can still expect Metro Last Light in March.

16. Erthazus

Of course we can expect that glorious thing in march.

Metro:the Last Light will be amazing in 2560×1440 in 60 frames. I want it so much. It is beautiful as hell and all trailers were from a PC build. I So Want That.

17. Maximum Payne

@14 Agree with Red Faction.
    I still can’t believe how disappointing Armageddon was.

18. sh4dow

Oh and Koch is NOT pronounced like “cock”. It boggles my mind that people think that.

19. Dave Cook

@18 Hah :) Yeah, I think I need to have a word with all the people who were doing that. It’s like during WWII, we couldn’t pronounce anything in Europe.

20. Edo

I’m more than happy that these guys bought them,rather than Sony,Microsoft or Nintendo…I never understand why would anyone(besides this companies of course)want any game to be an exclusive.

21. Dragon246

One thing, if they can allow these studios to work without external interference, then it would be the best. I think they got the entire SR franchise for really cheap.
    Last thing I want from them is another horrible PR like the one they did for Dead Island.

22. friendlydave

@21 I want a Shaundi Chest bust to go next to my Bikini Zombie one :(

I think they will let Volition do there own thing, for Saints Row at least.

23. Dragon246

@22,
    I was referring to the hugely misleading girl video showing dead island like a last of us like game, which was obviously wrong.
    Although that bikini one wasn’t bad, especially how the tits were perfectly safe and ample :D

24. friendlydave

This?[below] Completely forgot about that video. Was pretty miss-leading.

25. silkvg247

If Koch make a SR MMO then they will be the saviors of the world.

26. Dragon246

Yeah that one. Blatant wrongful PR.

27. sh4dow

@19: Dude, how old are you?! o_O

It doesn’t have to be WWII though… even my parents (currently ~60) still pronounce things horribly wrong. And their partly willful ignorance upsets me to no end ;)

28. peteb

I used to work at Koch Media/Deep Silver as brand manager here in Munich (the UK guys always pronounce it “Kotch” to avoid the Kock stuff btw) and the guys there are awesome – both titles are in great hands, can’t wait to see what they do with them. :)