RAGE to reward brand-new purchases with extra content

Thursday, 11th August 2011 23:42 GMT By Brenna Hillier

RAGE won’t sport an Online Pass system, but those who buy it new will still score an interesting bonus.

Creative director Tim Willits asked Eurogamer if it had noticed hatches dotting the environment during a preview of RAGE

“If you bought the game new, that would be open for you,” he explained. “You still have to download it, but you don’t have to pay for it.

“Those hatches are all over. Most people never find them. But as soon as you do, you’re like, oh. And then you start to look for it. That’s our first-time buyer incentive.

“But as you can tell, most people never even see it. I can tell you, some people will buy Rage, download that, and still never set foot in those things. They just won’t. I think that’s fair. It’s cool. It’s outside the main path. We’re not detracting from anything. But I know some consumers, when you can’t avoid it, then you get a little touchy subject.”

On the subject of downloadable content, Willits said id has staff standing by who could be working on it, but the studio prefers to wait and see what kinds of content fans ask for.

“For DLC – we have designers and artists who are basically done. They’re building some stuff but we want to see what people like,” he said.

“If people want more gadgets, we’ll maybe add some more. If people think the racing is cool we might do more. Before we solidify our DLC plans we want to see what people like.”

RAGE is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in early October.

1. Phoenixblight

Ahh ID you are a shining example of what a Developer should do. Can’t wait for your game in October.

2. Hell-Raiser-85

^ What he said

3. DSB

Interesting indeed. The question is whether they’ll use it to bait people into buying some kind of added DLC. EA tried that with Dragon Age Origins and all it did was piss people off.

Encouragement is awesome, but ingame advertising just ruins the experience.

4. Phoenixblight

There was no in game advertisement you go to a guy he says he can lead you to a place the only “advertisement” that comes in is when the MS pop thing shows up. It obviously wasn’t a huge issue if 1 million DLC were sold the first month.

5. DSB

Either that, or stripping core content from a game is just an effective way of reselling people the stuff you took out in the first place.

Here’s one.

Here’s another one.

A guy “leading you to a place” is still very much an ingame advertisement. I’m sure they don’t mind polluting an otherwise great game with crap like that if they’re rolling in money, but that’s a pretty unilateral way of looking at it. We actually have to play the thing, and pay for it.

6. Phoenixblight

DAO didn’t have any content removed for the intent of selling it later. DAO was going to be a PC exclusive and they had a deadline of APril 2009 so with Shale not being as in depth as the rest of the character they had to remove that. Then EA buys them up and has Bioware hold off on the PC release until the console versions are released. SO while that time with Edge doing the console port Bioware was busy fixing Shale and doing DLC at the same time and they were able to release them both on release day.

As far as that comic goes you can turn quest markers off. I know I did. I personally don’t find that offensive, its not like he was constantly badgering you every time you walked by him. It was also neat that the DLC downloaded while you were playing the game.

7. DSB

That’s certainly crazy convenient, ain’t it? I guess they just accidentally charged 10 euro for the version that had Shale in it, too. Funny how things just randomly happen like that.

Fair enough that Shale was almost cut, but that doesn’t exactly mean she has to magically turn into paid DLC after the fact.

DA:O seemed to win the “Most Despicable Use of In-Game Advertising” by a whopping 28% of the votes.

As far as leaving it to the user to disable features that are crap, that’s hardly a major point for design, and I realize that if you’re desperate enough, then there are probably a million amazing reasons why selling core content seperately on day one is perfectly awesome and great and swell, and adding ingame advertising to sell it is equally brilliant.

Here’s the thing, though: I don’t believe a word of it. And seemingly neither do very many others.

8. Phoenixblight

You obviously didn’t play DAO because Shale was free for any new purchase so smoking crack much?

Well people believe a lot of things doesn’t make them right.

9. DSB

@8 You’re right, my mistake. I actually didn’t realize that. I guess it wasn’t as bad as I thought.

So they sold Wardens Keep and a few trinkets for 10 extra euro. Crappy deal.

Great argument on that last sentence, though. Given that we were talking about perception and opinion.

10. Phoenixblight

I can’t argue with the Europe price, I can only argue with the US price which was 5$ which was a price of lunch for me.

I am not gonna argue you with what people perceive that is for them to decide and they can vote with their dollar if they don’t like which the majority of people don’t have an issue with it because the entire industry is doing this because it works.

11. DSB

As far as I can tell it was selling for 60 dollars in the US. Not that that has anything to do with the discussion, referring to the original post of people generally not enjoying ingame advertising. Great that it works for the industry, it does nothing for the games themselves, beyond taking people for a bit more money.

If Id are doing a genuine encouragement of people to buy new, then that’s awesome, but if it’s just another way of moving some DLC, then it’s just as lame as all the previous attempts. Nobody would be thrilled to see a movie advertising it’s own DVD release within the movie itself. For whatever reason that’s great craftsmanship when it comes to games.

12. Phoenixblight

“As far as I can tell it was selling for 60 dollars in the US.” I was talking about the Wardens Keep DLC, not the game itself.

13. ColdCoffee

If WoW has taught us anything… you never give the players exactly what they want. Reading things like this just screams fail. RAGE is a gamble for ID and they’ve made complete crap these past releases. RAGE will fail and Valve will buy Carmack and throw the rest in the trash bin

14. ultramega

Please, teach me how to use such psychic powers too! I want to see the future as well, and the alternate histories where id games have not been amazing!

15. Dr.Ghettoblaster

What are hatches?

16. DSB

It’s a door that’s meant to provide a tight seal, ie for ships and pipelines and what not.

In this case it probably means entry to a vault or bunker.

17. Dr.Ghettoblaster

^ OH, very cool. I thought they meant some kind of creature.