Always-on internet connection for games “better for everybody,” says id’s Willits

Wednesday, 10th August 2011 14:51 GMT By Johnny Cullen

id Software’s Tim Willits has waded into the debate of always-on internet connections for games, saying it would be best for those concerned.

Willits told Eurogamer at QuakeCon that Blizzard’s recent decision to keep Diablo III always-on is “better for everyone,” adding it was signifying “change.”

“Diablo 3 will make everyone else accept the fact you have to be connected,” Willits said. “If you have a juggernaut, you can make change. I’m all for that. If we could force people to always be connected when you play the game, and then have that be acceptable, awesome.

“In the end, it’s better for everybody. Imagine picking up a game and it’s automatically updated. Or there’s something new you didn’t know about, and you didn’t have to click away. It’s all automatically there. But it does take juggernauts like [Diablo 3] to make change.”

id is currently finishing off RAGE for a release on October 4 in the US and October 7 in the UK for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. ruckus

Fuck off.

2. endgame

“Diablo 3 will make everyone else accept the fact you have to be connected”

hey douchebag! want to bet on that? let’s see how I’m going to “have to be connected” while playing diablo 3 in single player.

3. BULArmy

I don’t know what is are everyone moaning about. We are in the second decade of 21 century with the Mbs speed internet, not the Dial up era. If you have problems with the internet blame the company that deliver the service. For the last four years I didn’t have internet connectivity only after some storm or flood(1-3 times a year)and I live in a country which is labaled as developing…

I also hate DRM, but we live in this world and must start accepting the things as they are, we PC gamers are treated as second hand now, it is not the ’90s and early 00s when PC gaming was at it’s highest point. If you don’t want DRM buy a console or don’t buy Ubi’s games or D3 or any other game, but in the future I am sure 90% of the PC games will use that shit. So just accept it, or go berserk like in the UK…

4. RandomTiger

@3 Nonsense, theres all kind of things that can cause your net to drop. Also you might not have net while you are moving house, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to play your single player games offline.

Vote with your cash, avoid games that do this.

“So just accept it, or go berserk like in the UK…”

This is insulting. There’s a middle ground between being a sheep and being a violent looter.

5. BULArmy

@4 Vote with you cash – OK, I am not buying Ubi games, but I will buy Diablo 3, because it will be great game in my opinion. But, yes I am absolutely sure more and more games will implement that system and, by the logic don’t buy it, we PC gamers will get fewer and fewer games, because we will give another excuse to the publishers to not release games on the PC with the excuse of low sales.

6. cloud_ix

this is pure bull, there are many reasons why this will be a problem for some people.
    1) why should people have to pay an internet provider to play a game offline
    2) sometimes a persons internet service is disrupted, why should people have to suffer
    3) can’t play this mobile now, travelling? no diablo 3 for you!
    4) don’t want someone spying on your play habits? go play fucking Free cell then

Just imagine the future if this takes off

7. cloud_ix

8. ruckus

‘Avoid games that do this’ +1

9. BULArmy

The problems of the future mate, if you don’t want that go live in a cave. There is no difference if it is Facebook, D3, some forum or anything else internet related, you are not hidden and you can be monitored, I accepted it, if I want to escape from that I have a villa with no internet connectivity I am going therе, but I can’t imagine living long without the ability to check the latest news or play some MP game. For now D3 will be the only game with this bullshit, but in the future I don’t know

10. Fin

If you don’t like requiring an always-on internet connection, then don’t buy the game. It’s as easy as that.

Unfortunately people complain a lot about stuff like this, but then go and buy the game anyway (see: MW2).

11. ruckus

“will give another excuse to the publishers to not release games on the PC”

I’m not going to buy/use infected DRM crap just so the pc market remains viable in the eyes of publishers.

If they are not publishing the games in a format which I wish to buy, then good riddance to them.

12. ManuOtaku

And i thought i will get my hands on my first diablo game, i was really excited, but this is a no no in my book, now is not the case i will not buy it for sure, well at least i will have torchlight 2******shruggs*****

13. runbmp

Its going to be funny when ISP’s have you by the balls in usage caps and you find yourself at the cottage without an internet connection and can’t play your games.

Or even worst, might feel nostalgic and want to play your old game in years to come but you wont be able to because some douche bag decided to store all of your data on their now disconnected servers.

Its a benefit to the company selling the game as it yields most money with minimal effort.

They want to discontinue a game because version 2 is coming out? disconnect the servers. Leaving previous clients who perhaps enjoyed the version 1 more than version 2 without access to the previous title they purchased.

Your character?! I think not. The hours your spent on your character resides on their on-line servers. Forget backing it up on your own legitimate drives. You’ll have to suffice with a jpeg shot of your character.

Your Internet is down? dispatches are able to restore your service? Guess you better go pay at a local starbucks.

so many daily situations can prevent a user from playing his title when a constance internet connection is required.

It always take some disconnected director or VP to make a comment like that on behalf of its shareholders.

Hard Reset might be an example to come.

14. Gekidami

“Its why this industry needs a new injection of fresh developers who truly understand its community as appose to exploiting it.”

The current developers and publishers know their “community” all to well. They know that the PC is a low sale, high piracy platform, thats why they’re moving to things like this. Rather then making the publishers out as the villains, why dont you people moan about the pirates that have drove them to this? Publishers are just trying to protect their business, they either do that or just avoid the PC platform. Which would you prefer?

15. Talkar

I absolutely agree. Furthermore, A lot of people were whining when this was also announced for SC2. How many are having problems with it? I honestly haven’t seen a single post on the forums about it. Not even trolls o.O

16. BULArmy

+1 @14/15

17. viralshag

I’m on the fence about this. While the always-on internet thing makes zero difference to me whatsoever and I like the idea of always being connected, I do think people should be able to play their games offline if they want to.

18. ManuOtaku

#14 i agree with you, but i think this is taking the easy route, instead of giving an strong reasoning and effort to solve it in any other way, i dont know because i dont know too much about PC gaming, never been a PC gamer myself, but i think they cannot hurt the consumers in some way, just in order to avoid being hurt by piracy, just for the reasons given by runbmp and other ones too.

19. HeavyD-Love

…except those who want to play games on a PC not connected to the internet….fucking morons.

I have a monster PC set aside specifically for video editing and gaming. That bitch does not touch the dirty slut that is the internet for taking no chances in getting infected with some slutty disease.

Patches? I download and copy over. A required internet connection seems like a violation of rights if you ask me.

20. Hunam

It’s like he lives in a world where games don’t autoupdate anyway. Even none steam stuff updates itself these days.

21. m3nAc3

This is pure bull…
    Everyone here is commenting on constant on-line connection. Yeah it’s all good if you are at home. What about if you have a specific job which doesn’t have any net connection or only e-mail support?! I’ll give you a real life example, my job: marine engineer/seafarer. And I’m not on some old piece of crap ship which is like 40 years old or something. I have 2 years of experience as a marine engineer on most advanced cargo ships currently in the world: LNG tankers (look it up). And the last one I was on board was built in 2008. It has only e-mail support.

So – what about seafarers around the world?

22. runbmp

this is my main gripe m3nAc3, its that they assume everyone has a connection and some situations where you might not have a connection, hasn’t crossed their minds.

Gekidami, the PC piracy switch has seen allot of use, and that tried and tired argument no longer stands. In fact, private torrent trackers usually have an Xbox360 title with healthy seeds long ahead the PC title makes its debut, if at all. Piracy, follows the platform of choice.

You can’t avoid the PC platform, you avoid it and someone else takes the reign.

23. Noodlemanny

I’m guess you could say I’m on the fence. Well I’m not really I thinks its stupid to force people into playing a single player game online. There always going to be issues such as mentioned above.
    But I can see why Publishers are doing this. Basically if you pirate, shame on you, your the problem and if you hisy fit about DRM and this. Well your and idiot and a massive hypocrite. I also don’t like second hand but at least its legal.
    What gives me even more simpathy for publishers are post like “oh and imagine someone putting up a 40gb patch having it auto download and fuck over your bandwidth cap”. What patch is going to be bigger than the fucking game? And also “don’t want someone spying on your play habits” thats something that always pisses me of “Oooooh I don’t want the police tracking my motor speeds (because I want to speed)”. What makes this particular case even more pathetic is there is literally nothing that could possibly go bad for you unless you pirated. All it does is actually give the devs a chance to make the game better.
    My point is stop blowing this all out of proportion. Yes its shit and yes we should fight it but not by coming up with childish analogies and having a tantrum every time it comes up. Hows that going to help.

24. TheWulf

Way to be a small-minded dickwad. Do you happen to think that Canada is a state of America, too? I wouldn’t be surprised, to be honest. The rioting is happening in England, not all of the UK. If you’re that misinformed then you shouldn’t expect anyone to believe that you’re informed enough to have a credible opinion about anything.

The thing is is that if you’re misinformed then the best thing you can do is keep your trap shut. There are people who’ve looked like complete idiots in the past on VG24/7 by talking about technology amidst hacking sprees and showing that they don’t have the first clue of how the Internet or anything else actually works. This is no different.

Really, if you don’t know what you’re talking about then your best respite is to stay silent. You can’t expect to be the village idiot and have me take your opinions seriously, can you?

And your post about how we should let our rights slip quietly into the night like good little bitches is also the patter of the village idiot. Really? People can vote with their wallet. It’s not something that requires violence. Your world may revolve around violence but mine does not, I’m a more reasonable person. If I don’t like something then I’m simply going to avoid buying it.

Did I just hear a ‘FINISH HIM!’? Okay then.

Essentially what you’re insinuating is that we should gleeful accept products which are broken by design. Let’s say that Windows 7 required an always on Internet connection and had a ‘bug’ in it where I could get my entire OS invalidated due to that. I should simply bend over and accept that because that’s just the way they are. That’s what you’re saying.

People have seen this in Assassin’s Creed, where a tiny Internet hiccup due to downloading things and not having enough bandwidth has seen them with a spinning icon above our friendly neighbourhood assassin’s head, with him suspended in mid-air, before finally being dumped back to the title screen and having to restart from the last checkpoint.

That’s what you’re not seeing. When you have ideas which are as broken as these you’re assuming that everyone has perfect Internet. You’re assuming that people will always have a stable connection or that the bandwidth for this check will be available. See, if you’re maxing out your bandwidth with downloads (of legally bought music from Bandcamp!) then Assassin’s Creed may have trouble even reaching its checking server.

So that means that I can’t download things whilst playing. I have a PC, it’s supposed to be able to multitask. I bought a PC for that reason. It’s my bloody right to be able to download things whilst playing a single player game. Anything that stops me from doing that is defective by design.

What’s that? Beat that dead horse? You got it!

And what about third world countries where the economy is improving but stable Internet isn’t available? I have a friend in Brazil who has an Internet connection that drops out occasionally but he’s still able to afford games. Is your attitude that we should exclude these ‘filthy, lesser people’ just because you can play? If you’re an example of the common man then I weep for the future.

And the same goes for people all over the world. There are lesser developed areas which don’t have the most stable, the most brilliant Internet yet, where bandwidth or even the very connection itself can become unavailable at any point. And what an always-on requirement for singe-player games is saying is that essentially these people should not be permitted to play. Do you think that’s right? I don’t.

And that, as they say, is that.

*dusts off hands.*

25. Christopher Jack

@24, I’m in a fully developed country, we have one of the highest wages in the world & one of the lowest unemployment rates nut we’ve got comparably shit internet speeds, reliability & a general lack of support.
    You don’t have to be undeveloped to be behind.