Warner: HBO Go a success, planning a launch on consoles

Wednesday, 3rd August 2011 19:33 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Time Warner announced during its call to investors today it would be launching its mobile and browser-based HBO Go on consoles.

According to CEO Jeff Bewkes, HBO’s TV Everywhere service will also be made available for connected TVs.

The service allows users to view episodes of its HBO original series, and it has proved popular with the mobile crowd because the service’s app has been downloaded more than 4 million times since it launched in early 2010.

Hopefully this will happen sooner rather than later, as we’d like to watch A Game of Thrones from one of our consoles soon instead of trying in vain to convince the other house occupants to pay for the channel on satellite.

Thanks: Gigaon via Gamasutra.

1. YoungZer0

I wish you wouldn’t exist, so i wouldn’t feel the emptiness you left inside my heart. I hope to see you soon, as rewatching the first season just reminds me of how i want more of you.

2. Samuel

If I’m not mistaken the way it works now is that only HBO subscribers can use the program anyway, so unless they’re changing that you still won’t be able to watch it.

3. Stephany Nunneley

@2 God damn it.

4. Night Hunter

“Hah, Game of Thrones. What have i been watching before you? I don’t know. I don’t care. Everything else is shit compared to your greatness.”

Truer words …

Just watched the whole 6 seasons of Oz in about 10 days, The Wire is next. HBO is the best provider of first class television series next to AMC, although they botched The Walking Dead. If only Breaking Bad and Battlestar Galactica were HBO series too they would be at least 5 classes above everyone else ;)

5. YoungZer0

@4: Uh, the Wire. Best be prepared, it’s not your average tv show. Hard to get into, but if you watch it, to the end, boy is it worth it. There isn’t a series in the world about school, politicians, drugdealers, the hood and police that is as good as the Wire.

So close to reality, that you could call it educational.

6. xino

does that mean Spawn aka Spunk can be aired on HBO for the consoles?:)

7. klewd

i’m guessing this is US only, leaving europeans to pirate their tv series instead?