Battlefield 3 to drop support for Windows XP

Monday, 3rd January 2011 09:15 GMT By Brenna Hillier

20110103conc

DICE rendering architect Johan Andersson has laid down the law regarding Battlefield 3′s system requirements, and those final pockets of Windows XP resistance are faced with an ultimatum: upgrade, or forget about playing one of the biggest shooters of the decade.

According to Andersson, the series’s new engine is heavily reliant on newer tech.

“Frostbite 2 is primarily developed for DX11. XP & DX9 is _not_ supported, 64-bit OS is recommended,” he tweeted.

This bald statement of fact confirms rumours from way back in 2007, when the prospect of dropping XP seemed much more onerous.

Battlefield 3 is expected whenever the notoriously perfectionist DICE think its finished with it, although EA is aiming for the third or fourth quarter this year.

Thanks, Blues News.

1. gomersoul

Damn, I love XP… good thing I have a PS3

2. LePlatypus

:( Personally I love Windows XP and how simple it is, Vista is shit and I’m not so sure about spending £100-£200 upgrading my comp to windows 7

3. Erthazus

@1 Windows 7 is exactly the same thing as Windows Vista.

Windows 7 is just a FIXED Windows Vista.

4. SwiftRanger

Well, most PC gamers have already upgraded to that minimum tech if they’re serious about their hobby. That being said, with such requirements there isn’t any excuse for Dice anymore that the PC version wouldn’t outshine the console versions by a large margin.

Demanding DX10 tech as a minimum doesn’t really compute when consoles are still at DX9 so the PC version will have to be a whole lot more ambitious than BFBC2 for example.

To be honest though, nearly every major Battlefield game had hefty requirements: BF1942 was the first shooter to require a T&L-card and BF2 really needed a beefy rig as well. At least one tradition is being followed for BF3 then.

5. duncan

I say finally ! I would like to know whether players in multiplayer who run DX9 have an advantage over those running DX11 with all the shades and lightning stuff turned on.

6. Uncontested

anyone who crys and moans that vista is ‘shit’ is a tard living 4 years in the past, just another of the typical haters. I still remember all the “zomg windows xp is shit im stickin with windows 98″ tards.

7. Johnny Cullen

But Vista was shit. The only thing I liked about it was the design of its UI. In fact, that’s the one thing I like more then Windows 7.

8. Erthazus

@Uncontested, no one cried when people get in to the XP.

Windows Vista is a disaster of massive proportions. Windows 7 is a big patch all over that piece of trash system.

As Johnny said, it’s all about the UI (but you can actually make the same stuff in the XP using mod tools or skins.)

Windows XP is still a much better place because of the mod tools, programs, (even oldschool games).

and that old OS can support Direct X10 and 11, it’s just Microsoft don’t want to do that.

9. Kalain

What you’ll probably find is that XP was taken up by businesses a lot more than 95/98/ME, thats why XP was so popular. Vista failed because businesses didn’t take it on board, but Win7 has been taken up by businesses.

We, the company I work for, ordered over 50 Laptops, with a requirement of 64bit Win7 pro. We haven’t done an order like that since XP.

So, when the business take up increases you’ll see more and more people moving to Win7 from XP as XP gets phased out.

10. Hunam

BFBC2 was pretty demanding anyway, I mean you’ll need at least a quad core cpu, 1GB VRAM and 4GB system RAM to get the best out of it, most of that hardware being over and above the tech base of windows XP.

Plus, Windows 7 is actually pretty good, so it’s kinda worth it anyway.

Secondly, the 360 doesn’t strictly use DX9, it’s actually a DX9/DX10 hybrid. Well, DX9 with some extra stuff bolted on.

I’d imagine there is some stuff that they are writing into the core of the rendering engine that only DX10+ supports, so having to support DX9 also would mean having to yank certain things out or write the engine in a different and possibly less efficient way.

I do dearly love XP, it was probably the best OS since ever, but it’s just outdated now and it’s time to move on if you want to keep up with the latest high tech games, if not, then you can still play 99% of games no problem but then you probably wont be the sort of person who likes to upgrade too much. I myself can’t really think of a better reason to upgrade than a proper PC release of Battlefield though.

11. Stardog

Stupid decision. 35% of gamers have Windows 7. 25% have XP.

I thought Dice were one of the decent companies…

12. M337ING

I think we’re going to have a Bf2 situation, in that the PC version was literally different from the console version. That could only be good for PC gamers.

13. xpforever

@Kalain: there was a reason why the business took XP, because it was based on Windows 2000, based on NT it was a serious platform, not as the 95/98 family that was a joke.
    Vista was a shit -period-
    Talking about 7 many big companies are still reluctant to leave XP for 7, and there are very good reason, in my company we switched to 7, but only for licensing agree, for commercial reasons, not for technical reason.
    In my everyday experience in the IT dept, Win7 is still a shit if compared to XP, the problem is that microsoft is abbandoning it so a company cannot go on with an operating system abbandoned by the vendor, without anymore security updates and so on (but ask yourself why in 2011 ms still release updates for XP with 2 new operating systems on the market and W8 near to come).

The real story is ms is thinking too much to the consumer market, too busy in copy ideas form others (for example Apple) but with orrible results (W7 mobile is an example) and also that XP is the last serious operating system from Microsoft, the rest is a joke, or a shit, as you prefer