Report – Realtime Worlds goes into administration

Tuesday, 17th August 2010 17:49 GMT By Joe Anderson

realtimeworldlogo

Sad News.

Original Crackdown and APB developer Realtime Worlds has entered into administration.

The news follows confirmations of redundancies last week given to VG247, with RTW saying it will continue to support APB.

Begbies Traynor Group are handling matters while CEO Gary Dale, who was in  Colorado speaking to staff is now back in Dundee.

A full statement from Begbie Traynor is expected later today.

Thanks, GI.biz.

1. DSB

Going into the MMO business as an indie developer, doing a new concept, with little experience almost has to end like this.

2. Kerplunk

Damn. That’s a real shame. Hopefully the talent at that studio will find a home with other developers soon enough.

Good luck to all.

3. Massiveslag

I wish my information had been incorrect, but unfortunately the worst happened. Good luck to all the guys involved.

4. Old MacDonald

Let this be a lesson to all you game developers out there: Don’t make MMOs.

5. kristrev

I wonder what sort of expectations investors have for MMORPGs and subscription numbers, if the reason really is that APB did not get enough subscriptions. How long has the game been out, two months?

6. Blerk

What a shame. :-(

Hopefully some of the staff can be picked up by Ruffian.

7. Hunam

RTW was the biggest player in Dundee, I think this is going to have a nasty knock on effect for the area.

8. mortiferus

In reality APB was subpar… and with that they sadly dug their own grave since the mmo space is fickle.

9. revolting

Holy balls, this story just goes from bad to worse. It’s a real shame… they had some great ideas, as a studio.

10. LordCancer

fuckem

11. frostquake

Sad, so Sad…should have just made CD2….instead of APB…I understand wanting to move on, and getting tired of working on the same game for years and years…but come on, do like Bungie…make Several Crackdown games, then make a 10 Zillion dollar deal with Acti and live high on the devil.

12. revolting

I sincerely hope that one day you find yourself going from having a fairly nice job to suddenly and with little warning getting made redundant, and upon leaving the building to try to put your life back together, you walk into a crowd of snotty teenagers lining up outside your place of work jeering “fuckem”, LordCancer.

Love or hate APB, this is not good news for anyone, least of all those now without jobs in a climate where said jobs are scarce and uncertain enough as it is.

13. frostquake

@revolting…Don’t know whom you are directing that to, but I do feel sorry for those who had no decisions in the process of where the company headed, that fell strictly on the top heads. What is truly sad, the top heads usually walk away with a TON of money, even if the company is gutted or ends, while all the “true” workers who make just a living wage for the area, are the true ppl hurting..because they don’t walk away with baskets full of money like the upper echelon.

I’ve personally been in both positions…Been in the Upper crust where I walked away with bonuses and and extra cash while the company filed bankruptcy and shut up shop, and watched friends wonder where there next job was going to be, while I got scooped up by another company, not having to worry. I will tell you, once I got that other Job, I did my best to bring over those workers who lost their jobs, but really worked hard at the other job. Side Note, I was out voted on the direction of the company and knew it would end up shutting it down, but I was out voted. I was the one who was happy with making 10-30% over ytd, and keeping everyone working, instead the “others” could only see making a killing by selling the company…and guess what, the new heads gutted and sold the company off to make themselves rich and killed the brand, and cost the hard workers their jobs

I have also been in the position of being in middle management, and loosing my job, with no extra money, just making enough to pay for that months bills and having no clue where my next job would be.

I have never as of yet had to take an unemployment payment from the gov’t. Once said job was lost, I took whatever job came along…working in a pet store, fast food, whatever, until I found the next job in my field.

I will say now though, in the USA, the job market is very very difficult, and I do feel sorry for those looking for jobs in their fields because it appears to be the most difficult time in my life time so far to get said job.

I really don’t think the anger here is directed towards those masses that worked on the game, it is more directed towards the heads of the company that took them in that direction and the direction the heads took them, killed the company. A team is only as good as its leaders, and I think the Leaders just went somewhere that cost all those hard workers their jobs.

14. BraveArse

^He was directing it, quite rightly, at the twat at number 10 up there. He mentions his name in the comment. As usual the internet seems to readily churn up the normally-so-rare sociopaths who lurk in the shadows of the “real world”. Not you, by the way, FrostQuake :)

It’s a really sad day for the Scottish Games Industry ( as a Scottish gamer I was pretty damn proud of RTW ). It’s an even tougher day for Dundee and a downright impossible one for the people who work(ed) at RTW. From what I hear there’s a massive recruitment drive going on this week in Dundee with the likes of Activision and Criterion there.

Hopefully they’ll pick up the massive talent that has now flooded the market. Also, hopefully, RTW will be snapped up by a publisher ( even Activision, if it saves some jobs they could redeem themselves in my eyes ).

The only person, imo, who deserves to take the brunt of the misdirected anger is Dave Jones. From what I could see he bit his nose off to spite his face with Microsoft, which led to losing probably his most lucrative and well loved game in the last decade and no options apart from pushing on with a vanity project that hadn’t been fully thought through.

The decision to make APB a PC only game was suicide imo, as was the decision to fully focus on it as much as they did.