AU News Wrap, September 30 - What happened today
Positive changes posited for Australian games classifications and a delightful package in the mail - it was a good day.
The big news for Australians today is a discussion paper released by the Law Reform Commission. This paper represents the beginning of the end of more than a decade of activism by consumers and industry figures to give adult gamers access to grown-up stories while keeping strong content away from minors. There's light at the end of the tunnel!
However, on a more personal note, a promo copy of Dark Souls arrived for me. It's not just a freebie - I do reviews on the side so I can buy myself pretty things, and I lucked out with a last minute commission. I've paid for a retail copy from the UK, so I can get all the goodies, but in the meantime, I can play right away, a few days before the rest of the world, and that makes me very, very happy.
Also: full of despair. LEAVE MORE NOTES, FELLOW REVIEWERS.
To that end, today's header image is from Demon's Souls, one of my favourite games. You know, it's not actually that hard - it's like a puzzle game. You've got to find the solution to the problem in front of you, that's all.That solution is never "charge".
Stay tuned for Pat's Bulletcast, summing up the past 24 hours, or if you want to see absolutely everything, check out the US and European wraps. Now, your headlines:
- Falcom makes The Legend of Heroes Vita official
Posting obscure Japanese news? Why not!
- Glitch invites delayed to counter overcrowding
I've not had much time this week to get in, but I've seen very few newbies. The ones I did see were being carefully herded by veterans.
- New Mortal Kombat game and film in 2013
Cinema PR is way less locked down than gaming. This will be an interesting project to watch.
- DICE needs "to hold back a bit", "ashamed" of imperfections
*sob sob* "It may be the best game in the world ever but it FAILS TO BAKE YOU COOKIES there is no point in living."
- FIFA Street confirmed for March 2012
This one actually came from Johnny - he was at the midnight launch for FIFA. I wonder if he'll sleep in again?
- Inversion trailer introduces the three Gs
Trailers for this attract a lot of views on YouTube, and yet the buzz is really low. Interesting.
- Forza 4 inspired by Pokémon, World of Warcraft
Cars, yeah! Good quotes, awesome! Making another header image for a racing game, kill me now!
- Saints Row: The Third trailer carries serious seizure warning
They're not kidding.
- SSX trailer invites you to Defy Reality
We post these late at night so Johnny won't see them, spout a massive nosebleed, and die, causing more work for the rest of us.
- Three secret projects at Vicarious Visions
Let me guess - licensed properties...?
- Katamari Amore on iDevice today
I have an Android, but we do have an iPad. NA NA NA NA NA NA NA!
- Skyward Sword snippets: Three HUD options, dialogue choices, more
Oh, Nintendo, I fear for you - and therefore, for the rest of us.
- HotD: Overkill Extended Edition trailer gets saucy
This took me all day to acquire and upload. Possibly not worth it.