Positive changes posited for Australian games classifications and a delightful package in the mail - it was a good day.
The big news for Australians today is a discussion paper released by the Law Reform Commission. This paper represents the beginning of the end of more than a decade of activism by consumers and industry figures to give adult gamers access to grown-up stories while keeping strong content away from minors. There's light at the end of the tunnel!
However, on a more personal note, a promo copy of Dark Souls arrived for me. It's not just a freebie - I do reviews on the side so I can buy myself pretty things, and I lucked out with a last minute commission. I've paid for a retail copy from the UK, so I can get all the goodies, but in the meantime, I can play right away, a few days before the rest of the world, and that makes me very, very happy.
Also: full of despair. LEAVE MORE NOTES, FELLOW REVIEWERS.
To that end, today's header image is from Demon's Souls, one of my favourite games. You know, it's not actually that hard - it's like a puzzle game. You've got to find the solution to the problem in front of you, that's all.That solution is never "charge".
- Falcom makes The Legend of Heroes Vita official
Posting obscure Japanese news? Why not!
- Glitch invites delayed to counter overcrowding
I've not had much time this week to get in, but I've seen very few newbies. The ones I did see were being carefully herded by veterans.
- New Mortal Kombat game and film in 2013
Cinema PR is way less locked down than gaming. This will be an interesting project to watch.
- DICE needs "to hold back a bit", "ashamed" of imperfections
*sob sob* "It may be the best game in the world ever but it FAILS TO BAKE YOU COOKIES there is no point in living."
- FIFA Street confirmed for March 2012
This one actually came from Johnny - he was at the midnight launch for FIFA. I wonder if he'll sleep in again?
- Inversion trailer introduces the three Gs
Trailers for this attract a lot of views on YouTube, and yet the buzz is really low. Interesting.
- Forza 4 inspired by Pokémon, World of Warcraft
Cars, yeah! Good quotes, awesome! Making another header image for a racing game, kill me now!
- Saints Row: The Third trailer carries serious seizure warning
They're not kidding.
- SSX trailer invites you to Defy Reality
We post these late at night so Johnny won't see them, spout a massive nosebleed, and die, causing more work for the rest of us.
- Three secret projects at Vicarious Visions
Let me guess - licensed properties...?
- Katamari Amore on iDevice today
I have an Android, but we do have an iPad. NA NA NA NA NA NA NA!
- Skyward Sword snippets: Three HUD options, dialogue choices, more
Oh, Nintendo, I fear for you - and therefore, for the rest of us.
- HotD: Overkill Extended Edition trailer gets saucy
This took me all day to acquire and upload. Possibly not worth it.