Theory of everything: Destiny is the real next-gen

Thursday, 24th July 2014 15:08 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Destiny pulls together the best of gaming tradition to create something entirely new. Get used to it: you’re all going to be involved.

destiny_header

I’m not sure what I was expecting from Destiny. Borderlands in space, most likely, as had been many others, but after playing the beta I think that’d be doing it a gross disservice. Destiny is both the present and the future of console gaming, a Theory of Everything which seeks to explain, finally, how existing genre strands are to be pulled together in this generation to create whole worlds derived from the best, refined elements of all gaming science.

Destiny’s triumph is its ambiguity. Despite best efforts to explain it away as just another shooter, or a shiny Halo, or a Guild Wars child, or Diablo, it is, in fact, none of these things because it’s all of them. It’s something else. It’s first-person and third-person; MMO and single-player; FPS, adventure and RPG. Bungie has coated Destiny’s confluence with a UI so slick you can barely see the joins, but there they all are. Destiny is new-gen.

The driving factor behind its progressiveness isn’t new console hardware, but rather the realities of the modern premium games market. Big games now need big life-spans, and Destiny is designed to be around forever, on every platform, and to keep you and your friends invested from the first day to the last. It has one of the best shooter mechanics ever created coupled with all the greatest elements from every other core genre. You can dance, just as you can in MMOs. You upgrade just as you do in RPGs, and, of course, you level. We have some top-end story-telling and what have to be the most incredible visuals ever seen on console. The skies alone are worth the purchase.

Destiny’s hub element is The Tower.

Destiny’s irrepressible modernity even renders that unnecessary: it’s free. You can play it now for nothing up to level eight. Destiny’s “beta” is a phenomenon, sucking up a large portion of our traffic in the last few weeks, and pointing to a steel-hard success for Activision later this year. Throw criticism at it all day if you must, but don’t believe you’re fooling anyone. You’re going to buy it because it’s going to be massive. And it’s going to be massive because it’s the most successful genre fusion yet seen, parceled in graphics so spectacular you’d have to employ climate change denial levels of obstinance to stay away. Everyone’s going to play it. That’s the point.

Because while there’s no obstacle to old-gen players getting on board in 2014, Destiny is going to be around for a long time. Whether you’re in now, or this Christmas, or next year, Destiny will be a next-gen pillar because it truly is a new concept. Destiny hasn’t abandoned the past, but it has moved beyond it, and your rendezvous with it is inevitable. Activision knows what’s required to succeed in the modern premium games space, and it’s leading with an adventure the likes of which we have never seen before. Destiny is the real next-gen.

Be sure to check out our Destiny beta guide to get all the info on the test’s secrets, classes, pastimes and more. Destiny releases for PS4, Xbox One, PS3 and Xbox 360 on September 9.

1. Aullah

Opps… I missclicked again. I wanted to come to vg247.

#1 2 months ago
  2. TheWulf

Oh my. There are those Y-fronts, again. Well, close enough, at least. I’m sorry, I just still cannot look at that logo and not see pants (or underwear, if you prefer).

And that’s all I have to say.

#2 2 months ago
  3. Legendaryboss

Nope. I don’t know how many ‘Destiny is the one’ articles I’m going to be seeing so I’m just going to sum up. Borderlands lite in some aspects, good music, responsive, events are quick/natural, PVP is standard, overpowering In some aspects, story is… To be honest shoved in there you can tell, difficulty level? Easy when I was levelling up even more easy now. online works. AI is well 50/50, ranging from smart to dumb. It’s good but all the recent hype screams Titanfall part 2: The second coming of Jesus. Real next gen? Don’t make me laugh, we’re still in 2014 not 15.

#3 2 months ago
  4. Panthro

Jesus, talk about sucking Destiny’s dick lately.

#4 2 months ago
  5. OrbitMonkey

If Destiny does nothing else, its definitely going to set a fire under EA’s arse & have them rushing out Mass Effect 4 :)

#5 2 months ago
  6. polygem

Good to see someone understands and appreciates what this game is trying to achieve. This is the very first glance at what this next gen thing people are talking about could look like…finally!

#6 2 months ago
  7. Docker Al

Cross gen so graphics are average. It looks and plays like Halo so gameplay is dated. And the 30fps cripples it. Shooters have moved on since Bungie last made one but they haven’t. No shooter can be expected to be taken seriously as a multiplayer game these days without 60fps. And where’s the campaign story? Or is it really just going to be a series of identical ‘quests’? Nothing even remotely next-gen about this.
    But the sheep will buy it because they’ve been told to.

#7 2 months ago
  8. BrokenSpline

You would think with the amount of articles on praising Destiny that Activision would be money-hatting all these sites….

I am with #2

This game is the most generic thing I have ever played right next to Rage. It has as much inspiration as a wet noodle.

#8 2 months ago
  9. BrokenSpline

@BrokenSpline

I mean #3

The day I side with Wulf is the day the world ends.

#9 2 months ago
  10. polygem

@Legendaryboss
    Try to look deeper. Scratch the surface.

#10 2 months ago
  11. undermyrules

destiny247 i though im on vg247

#11 2 months ago
  12. BrahManDude

its a well made game for this year but if it came out next year it would be stomped from all the better titles coming out in 2015

#12 2 months ago
  13. The_Red

I’m both sorry and disappointed.
    Just how many Destiny is THE TRUE NEXT GEN / BEST GAME EVAH do we need on this site?
    I love Brenna, Patrick and everyone else on VG247 but having article after article praising the same game is really annoying and kinda unprofessional.

You want to have multiple articles about Destiny? Fine, then try to get DIFFERENT view point. We need new and more diverse perspectives on the game rather than write a hundred positive articles / pieces / analyses. The current trend and set of articles do nothing but harm towards sites reputation and crediblity.

(I’m not saying that writing a positive article is unprofessional or suspicious. It’s the huge number with the same positive view point in the small amount of time that’s worrying me).

#13 2 months ago
  14. Moonwalker1982

While the beta is absolutely more fun and better than the alpha, i still do not understand the massive hype about this one. Yeah it is fun in co-op, but only that, cause on your own it get’s boring rather quickly. Honestly i’m really not sure about this one yet. So no….maybe i won’t be involved. :)

#14 2 months ago
  15. pukem0n

are you getting paid by Activision or what?

#15 2 months ago
  16. BrownBanana

Hmm… I havent seen a site promote at game like this … ever! Why not cover more games insted of having at least two writers write two different praising articles?

Wierd!

#16 2 months ago
  17. BrownBanana

And… furthermore this article. It reads like an advertisement. There is almost given no reason at all to why this game is good. It reads like: THIS GAME IS GOOD BECAUSE … ITS GOOD! Its gonna be the biggest thig ever … because its gonna be the biggest thig ever. Its pure next gen … because its next gen.

Come on people. VG247 has sunken to a new low with this one I think. This really has nothing to do with journalism. And even as an opinion piece, it is extremely one sided and fanatically biased.

I’m really dissapointed in VG247. A premiere news site bogged down by “articles” that reads more like a payed advertisement.

#17 2 months ago
  18. Hirmetrium

It’s not 60FPS. That alone makes it last gen, in my eyes.

60FPS is the future. Visuals are nice, but I’d rather have 720p upscaled with more fluid movement than 1080p 30fps.

Not to mention, there is very little detail, everything is muddy and looks terrible, everything is small and repeated over and over.

The game is visually boring with very few FX so far (especially compared to halo’s power sword or hammer for example).

#18 2 months ago
  19. FoureyesZero

30 fps is not next gen and never will be.
    In the old days everything ran at 60 fps its time we got back to that and the new consoles have the power to do that.
    Battlefield 4 proved that and so will the next Halo.

#19 2 months ago
  20. Aullah

@FoureyesZero You know what would be next-gen. Having the option to play in 1080p 30fps or 720p 60fps. This way both partys would be satisfied. Of course the perfect solution will be the higher res and framerate but it will not happen.

#20 2 months ago
  21. Johnny Cullen

Good lord, some of the comments in here.

Guys, I’m going to need you to take in what I am about to tell you.

So first, sit down, take a deep breath and take in this pearl of wisdom.

Ready?

Sitting down?

PEOPLE. CAN LIKE. THE SAME GAME.

Pat can like Destiny. Brenna can like Destiny. I sure like Destiny.

But I also know there’s a lot of you who don’t like it. And that’s fair enough, you’re entitled to an opinion (if it makes you feel any better, me and Pat used to have arguments when I worked here about GTA IV was amazing and how he thought it was shit or vice versa on Far Cry 2). But don’t say it’s unprofessional for Pat and Brenna to like the same game and then write about it. They write about it because it gets them excited.

If you don’t like the game, sure, that’s fine, you’re entitled to your opinion and I respect you for it. But don’t come into the comments and say it’s unprofessional this or moneyhatting that if they wish to write about an massive AAA game. Like it or not, [Game X] or [Game Y] will be written a lot because it’s a thing most people are excited for, writers included (because guess what, games writers are gamers too). You may not be, but everyone else will be.

Feeling better now? I’ll make my exit now.

Byyyye, Felicia.

#21 2 months ago
  22. The_Red

@Johnny Cullen
    Yes, people can like the same game. That’s when a site posts one positive article / analysis about the said game. Posting a multiple similar overhyped articles is neither informative, nor fruitful.

If anything, it would be nice to have VARIOUS opinion pieces. Like having a “Top 10 reasons why Destiny ROCKS” and then posting “Top 10 reasons why Destiny SUCKS”.
    Posting “Top 10 Reasons Destiny rocks” and then posting 2 more JUST like that without any nice perspective, opinion or viewpoint is either:
    1- Repeated and clone content.
    2- Suspicious and unprofessional content.

When EVERY. SINGE. ARTICLE. IS. SUPER POSITIVE:
    There is no critical knowledge to be gained.
    There is no entertainment value to be found.
    There is no information to be learned.

So what’s the point of ALL same-ish positive articles?

#22 2 months ago
  23. silentbob

Virtual Reality is the real next-gen, but Destiny is just about the best distraction I could have hoped for whilst VR arrives.

As for the Borderlands comparisons, as obvious and as easy as they should be (and as much as I loved that game), Destiny is a very different beast.

#23 2 months ago
  24. redwood

most rhetorical headline ever!

#24 2 months ago
  25. FabioPal

@Johnny Cullen let’s name things for what they are, shall we? This is advertisement.

If Pat AND Brenna really like Destiny (I’m not say they don’t) they would’ve talked about it and decided to write ONE piece about it. They work on the same website, Brenna writes pieces that (hopefully) Pat reviews and approves before publishing.

The language used in the article is so clearly what I call “PR Bullshit”.

I understand that Pat is desperate about “generating traffic on the site” but this is far beyond the professional approach we were all used to love about this site.

The thing is: was this piece necessary after Brenna’s one? no, as somebody else said, this one doesn’t offer any different point of view. So the users see it as unnecessary, and what is an unnecessary piece on a website that lives because of advertisement?
    Well, it’s a “traffic generator”, because of the angry users (like me) that want to express their concerns AND for the random user that reads “Destiny” and clicks on the link.

All in all: this is sad.

#25 2 months ago
  26. LisciousOne

This reads like an advertisement.

#26 2 months ago
  27. Legendaryboss

“We have some top-end story-telling and what have to be the most incredible visuals ever seen on console.” Oh dear.

#27 2 months ago
  28. The_Red

@Legendaryboss
    “But have you SEEN Titanfall?”
    &
    “It was almost too much for my eyeballs to process”.

This level of overhype from press feels… uncomfortable. Titanfall on IGN levels of uncomfortable.

#28 2 months ago
  29. bradk825

The article is only bad if it isn’t true. But it’s true.

Having played the beta, I am finding that it doesn’t neatly fit into any of the boxes the internet trolls want to put it in. It truly does mix genres in a clean and effective way.

The graphics are nice, and it’s not even full-res yet (I’m on XB1). 30FPS only matters if you can notice it. You can’t.

I’ve never seen lighting and shadow this detailed. Never. If another game has done it fine, but I haven’t played that game. The way the shadows played across the room when the ghost traveled through that first dark room was so impressive, then seeing my character’s shadow on the walls when I walk past a light, wow. They really added a lot of detail.

It isn’t perfect, but it’s also a beta so far. It is one of the best games I’ve played to date, and no, it’s not Halo with an inventory system.

I am finding that most of the people who call it Halo with inventory are about 30% more ignorant than those who called Titanfall COD with mechs.

The article is fine, because it’s factual.

#29 2 months ago
  30. polygem

you absolutely cannot compare this to titanfall at all – not to borderlands either. shit guys, this is on a whole different level. seriously…have you even played the damn beta? if so, for how long?
    i was a bit disappointed my first 3 to 5 hours as well – but then i started playing it with friends, got into pvp and it all came together.

@Legendaryboss: for you it always is, always has been like this: people saying something positive and you are disagreeing: fanboys are writing loveletters. people criticize something you like: haters gonna hate. then you add some Oh Dear, Lol, Facepalm drama here and there and demand facts (but never deliver those your own).

the way you interact with other people is beyond ignorant.

#30 2 months ago
  31. polygem

to tell you guys the truth: i think this game is severely underhyped…i am dead serious now. i want to read so much more about it. like. all the time.

#31 2 months ago
  32. Legendaryboss

@bradk825 “The article is fine, because it’s factual.” Parts of the article is factual yes. Destiny is going to be massive. The beta is free. etc. My problem after quoting something specific, leads me to believe that this article is nothing but overhyping Destiny. The story is chucked into random missions, backed up by a cutscene or commentary here and there and the visuals? No Problem on that front.

“It isn’t perfect” Absolutely nothing is 100% perfection but that’s the impression you get when reading the article. Granted the full release may tell a different story.

#32 2 months ago
  33. lubu

it doesn’t look next-gen, it didn’t bring anything new to the table, so what’s next gen about it ? all i read is how great it is and how you loved it without any proof. i’m not saying it’s bad, actually it looks good (i liked the art) and plays well but really simple and it become repetitive really fast. you hit the level cap and it’s finished, trust me you will never go back to it, i played thousand MMOs, it’s new for consoles, maybe because of that your excited.

#33 2 months ago
  34. aseddon130

It’s not that special, its alright i suppose. I love running around the same place 5 times in a row so that counts for something.

#34 2 months ago
  35. Erthazus

Pat always loved ya but I disagree with you completely. although it’s good to hear that you mentioned Guild Wars.

It is indeed Guild Wars 1 child but in First Person and no, this is not next gen. It’s a game for PS3, 360 and other platforms. It’s a MMOFPS.

#35 2 months ago
  36. Johnnymaxx

I was thinking about answering some comments here, but then I noticed there would be a lot of people to answer so I just gave up and decided to only give my opinion about it: Yes, I do think there are a lot of praise on VG 247 to Destiny lately. But I do understand that this is because every writer liked the game and they want to share with us their own point of view.

Someone here said that the site should have a post with good things and other with bad things. But what if the writers don’t see any bad things in the game? Should they just lie to say “Hey, look at us! We have different opinions!” This is wrong. So let them write, everyday, one post each on how much they did like it. And when they hate something, let them write about how they hate something, over and over again.

Myself, I’m just in love with Destiny. I believe it is the real next gen experience because guys, next gen is not only defined by graphics, it is defined by what the game does. And this mixture of FPS and MMORPG with no loading time to get into raids or dungeons is just amazing. Also, you can scream and shout how loud you want, I will ever feel that the 30FPS or 60FPS debate is nonsense. And yes, I do see that the game in 60FPS runs much better and I do prefer when things are in 60FPS (recently “The Hobbit” movies started to run at 48FPS in theaters and it is much more enjoyable than the regular 24), but I would never, EVER think that a game is bad because it is not 60FPS and just discard it. 30FPS is good enough, and since I own a big screen tv, my eyes understand much more the difference between 720p to 1080p than 30 to 60 FPS (“1080p FOR LIFE!!!” here).

I’ve played the Alpha, I’m playing the Beta like crazy and I already scheduled my job vacations for 30 days starting September 8th. I currently have more play time in Destiny Beta than I had on WatchDogs, just to compare the other block buster that was launched this year (but I’m very far away from the play time I have with FF XIV, but this is another subject).

You can like it. You can dislike it. But don’t try to impose what people should write on their website. Even if this is advertisement and they are getting paid by Activision, it doesn’t matter. You read it, you check the videos, you make your opinion and you move with your life.

#36 2 months ago
  37. Malmer

How can someone tell if the game has “top-end story-telling” from the beta? It’s like five missions which does very little in the story department. It is basically “hey, there is an old AI in the cosmodrome. Let’s go to the moon, oh wait we can’t. Buy the full game”. I liked it, but it is way to early to call it top-end.

#37 2 months ago
  38. fearmonkey

I liked Destiny so far, but havent played enough of the beta to really say Ive delved into the game.
    Im only level 5.

It feels like Halo (The combat and controls) meets Phantasy Star Online (The social hub areas) meets Borderlands (Classes and weapons upgrades). I wouldn’t say the game is next gen to me, it’s a very good mixture of stuff that has come before, in a way no one else has done. i could see myself having alot of fun with it, but im not sure it will surpass Borderlands 2 for co-op gaming in my case. Only time will tell.

#38 2 months ago
  39. Rockstar Vienna

Well, after Titanfall it’s time for another overhyped shooter. And sorry but Patrick’s last articles (especially the GTA V stuff) were just poor! Fanboy articles with really stupid videos were he acts like a huge clown, trying to be funny (The vid with GTA Online Independence Day Special content is just one example).

I’m sorry VG247 but you guys can’t be serious! That’s just unprofessional, nothing else! That’s not funny, that has nothing to do with an opinion, that’s just dumb! Get a grip guys!

And about Destiny… stop this PR bullsh*t! Nothing wrong with positive articles about a game of course but this (like someone already said) reads like an advertisement.

#39 2 months ago
  40. undermyrules

500 mil budget….well that gonna stand for something…they probably payed for all this overhype….maybe even here thats why every 2nd thread is about destiny…you are probably getting payed for to hype the game to the stars and back….i dont blame you easy money…

#40 2 months ago
  41. El_MUERkO

DA REAL NEX GEN!!!

NO REALLY WE MEAN IT THIS TIME!!!

Titanfall was the real next gen, this is ‘Serious Borderlands’ and it’s dull.

GTA V is going to feel more next-gen than this

#41 2 months ago
  42. MRHYDE

I’ve been a proud and loyal gamer for almost forty years. I can still remember the black and white Atari. I marveled at the table top space invaders, then went absolutely crazy when it came out in colour (Different coloured plastic sheets under screen). Got my sweaty little palms on the mighty BBC model B computer. Jumped for joy when I got a Commodore 64 for Christmas, then an Amiga 600, then a PC 120, followed by a Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Sony Playstion 1,2,3 Xbox 360 and now Playstation 4. After playing Destiny, yes it’s not totally perfect, and yes, I was hoping the gun damage was a bit more “Borderland’s”, but trust me, you young gamers of today, really don’t know how lucky you are. So get out there, enjoy, and boy, have fun!.

#42 2 months ago
  43. ninjakenzen

Majority of people visiting this website will despise this article because they’re PC gamers and Destiny is not coming out on PC.

They will speak out of envy and hate this games mere existence. Any positive coverage you have of this console game will only make them more mad.

At least when GTA V news story came up these PC gamers were less bias towards console envy because in the back of their minds they believed that it would come out on PC in the end [which was true]

But with Destiny and it’s current track record. It’s highly unlikely that it will come out on PC and they resent it. You can read all the hate in the comment section about a positive article.

A lot of them haven’t even played the beta, because if they did. They would at least understand some of the points you’re making, whether they agree or not is their opinion but I can tell those who hate out of blind uninformed decisions on this comment section and it’s pathetic.

This PC master race on VG247 comment section is all hate. I can’t think of anything positive they spewed out in the past year on this site.

#43 2 months ago
  44. ninjakenzen

@Johnnymaxx You read my thoughts exactly.

To add my own opinion:
    I playing the beta on the PS3 and I agree that it’s a great game. Simply watching a couple of youtube videos is not good enough to compare to the overall experience and immersion.

I haven’t played a game like this…ever.

It’s a mix of borderlands, halo, cod, mass effect and a few others. I feel as if bungie took aspects from these games and highlighted their strengths while downplaying others.

If I’m to be completely honest though, the PS3 version with it’s graphics at the beta stage looks murky and is really showing age. I’m not a big fan of the controls ‘even with the customised bumper jumper’ but that might be because I just don’t like the Playstation controller, my hands feel more at home with the Xbox ones. I’m also not a big fan of the randomness of when the iron banner tournament is up. In terms of PvP the online experience is extremely fast pace, imho i think it’s just a tiny bit slower than COD. I also hate the fact that a server interruption can cut you off completely from being in-game.

After playing Halo 3 and Reach to death, with the community. I can see how and why Bungie are taking more steps to keep this game more community based with the social aspects of gaming. It’s built to be a co-op game which is fantastic but you can also play it solo.[At times]

I really think that this is a great example of the first steps to next gen, PC gamers simply won’t understand what I’m talking about.

And yes, I do play Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3 and Dota 2. Heavy PC games. So I do understand the commotion of the PC scene. I’ve beaten Borderlands 2 as well. So I completely understand where this article is coming from and for the most part I do agree. Not because it could be seen as an advertisement. But because the content of the article heavily reflects with my experience of playing the actual game.

#44 2 months ago
  45. ninjakenzen

My bads about the triple post,

Lastly I just wanna add that I don’t think it’s the brilliance of Activision who brought about the concept of where and how this game is going to be with it’s new dimension on gaming. But rather the credit should go towards Bungie.

After the hatefest Bungie recieved post-reach on their forums, [which I admit to partially adding to] regarding a few things. Destiny was also teased to be something refreshingly new within the sci-fi genre.

But the game has Bungie written all over from it, the jumping, the aiming, sniping etc. Just the feel and quality of the game. It’s refined, and I don’t think Activision is to blame for this, as this has become standard with Bungie. Much like other developers like Naughty dog with the Playstation. Or another example would be Rockstar.

#45 2 months ago
  46. M. K.

True Next Gen? Really? Did anyone of you play it even?

I played the Beta for a few hours, Destiny is nothing but a sad try from Activision to rip off a part of Borderlands success by using Bungies good name in this industry. They tried a lot of things, but they failed in almost every point.

#46 2 months ago
  47. The_Red

@M. K.
    Now don’t be unfair. Activision and Bungie have equally tried to rip off Mass Effect 1, Halo 1 and Guild Wars 1 as well (Notice how all of their “inspirations” are from older and more dated versions of each title).

#47 2 months ago
  48. Nintendo1985

Played the Beta. The graphics and texture look kinda old gen. 30 fps doesn’t help either. :(

In my honest opinion, BF4 is still top looking next gen games. And that came out last year…

#48 2 months ago