Destiny: new trailer, beta dates confirmed, collector’s edition revealed

Monday, 7th July 2014 17:29 GMT By Sherif Saed

Bungie has released a heap of new details for its upcoming shooter, Destiny. The developer has revealed the starting dates of the beta for all platforms and revealed the first details about The Dark Below, the shooter’s first expansion coming post-launch.

Destiny_24

In a press release sent to VG247 earlier, publisher Activision confirmed that the beta dates for pre-order customers are as follows:

• The Beta begins first for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 at 10:00am PDT on July 17
  • The Beta begins for Xbox One and Xbox 360 at 10:00am PDT on July 23
  • The Beta will be offline for scheduled maintenance on July 21 – July 22 and open back up to pre-order participants across all platforms until 11:59pm PDT on July 27

Destiny will also have two collector’s edition in the form of the Limited Edition ($99.99), and the Ghost Edition ($149.99), both of which will include:

• Limited edition SteelBook Case and Game Disc
  • Guardian Folio, which includes Arms & Armament Field Guide, postcards from the Golden Age and an antique Star Chart
  • Collector’s Edition Digital Content Pack, which includes unique Ghost casing, exclusive player emblem, exclusive player ship variant
  • Destiny Expansion Pass, which includes access to two expansion coming post-launch

In addition, the Ghost Edition will come with the following:

• Ghost replica, featuring motion-activated lights and voice recordings from award-winning actor Peter Dinklage, voice of the Ghost character, the player’s personal companion in the game
  • Letter of Introduction
  • Golden Age Relics, which include a Photo, Patch, Sticker and two Chrome slides of the Traveler

The post-launch expansions will contain story missions, co-op activities and multiplayer maps, new weapons, armour and gear. Each pack will cost $19.99 individually, or $34.99 for the Expansion Pass. Only the expansion names have been revealed, with no date as of yet:

• Expansion I: The Dark Below – set deep beneath the surface of the Moon, discover an ancient tomb that has been unsealed, and a dark god who has risen an evil army in the depths of the Hellmouth, the home of the Hive enemy race
  • Expansion II: House of Wolves – details will be revealed later
  • PlayStation platforms will also include additional exclusive content for Expansion I and II and will remain exclusive until at least Fall of 2015

A digital edition will also be made available for digital pre-orders, dubbed the Digital Guardian Edition, and it will include a digital copy of the game along with the Expansion Pass and all the digital content found the in the Collector’s Edition.

There’s also a new trailer that we’ve added for you below:

Finally, have a look at the various editions in the gallery below:

1. Revolting

It’s beautiful. :)

Those prices though. Man, Activision pretty much has a license to print money, here.

#1 3 months ago
  2. polygem

definition of sweet sweet hype

#2 3 months ago
  3. Revolting

Actually, given that both the Limited and Ghost editions include the expansion season pass worth $34.99, maybe that’s not as harsh after all.

Still, though… while it’s not the most expensive CE of a game I’ve ever seen, not even close, they’re still way above what I’m usually willing to pay.

#3 3 months ago
  4. polygem

i was thinking about getting the digital version but now i might be picking up one of these editions instead…it´s one of those games where i feel like it´s worth it.

#4 3 months ago
  5. Sherif Saed

They need to show the goodies in the Ghost Edition.

#5 3 months ago
  6. fengato

@polygem

Nah, having a game you love permanently installed and ready to go is more important than swag. ;-)

Now for some PAL pricing for the Digital Guardian Edition.

#6 3 months ago
  7. Aullah

The trailer looks awesome, but all of the gameplay says its generic and boring. GJ for the trailer department.

#7 3 months ago
  8. Legendaryboss

@Revolting Swimming in the money and they also have COD.

#8 3 months ago
  9. bobnice

@fengato

I agree. Im done with physical discs. I’ll be getting that digital guardian edition mentioned above

#9 3 months ago
  10. TheWulf

[...] and a dark god who has risen an evil army in the depths of the Hellmouth [...]

I remember thinking of this originally that it had god awful writing. Not just uninspired, though it was that too, but just… bad.

You know, sometimes, I like having my cynicism overturned, rendered incorrect. I really do.

Why has writing in games gotten so dumb? We’re not all stupid!

#10 3 months ago
  11. LovesALLformats

No thank u. Passing on this game. The hype train is running this game. The beta was dissappoiting, bungie can’t move on from halo.

#11 3 months ago
  12. SlayerGT

I still don’t understand their long term strategy. Is this a full retail release meant to have full release sequels? Or am I going to have to buy months and months of dlc? I haven’t seen any season passes..How much game is going to be included I wonder. Halo sized??

#12 3 months ago
  13. Sherif Saed

@SlayerGT I think they’re going to be releasing expansions until another major release in 1-2 years maybe.

#13 3 months ago
  14. Darksider123

God dammit, stop throwing words at me. If I wanted to read, I’d read – not watch a trailer

#14 3 months ago
  15. mamu-ti

If this game have single player i will buy the game if it has only Multiplayer i will pass.

#15 3 months ago
  16. SlayerGT

@Sherif Saed I guess I ultimately want to know how much money this game will require to “have it all”. Wait and see approach for me I guess.

#16 3 months ago