Lords of the Fallen producer: achieving 1080p on Xbox One is “slightly tougher” than PS4

Wednesday, 23rd April 2014 12:38 GMT By Dave Cook

Lords of the Fallen executive producer Tomasz Gop has stated that Deck 13′s incoming action-RPG won’t dip below 30FPS on any format, but has stressed that achieving 1080p on Xbox One is proving slightly more problematic than on PS4.

Lords_of_the_fallen_harken_art

It follows this hard-hitting Lords of the Fallen gameplay trailer, which smacks of Dark Souls. That’s no bad thing of course.

Now, speaking with IGN, Gop said of the game’s tech, “We definitely won’t be below 30fps, definitely. I think if we have to choose between resolution and framerate, we’ll probably choose to go full HD 1080p and have a stable, rock-solid 30fps, rather than try to lower the resolution and push it to 60fps because we believe this game looks pretty good, so we’d rather have a decent resolution to show it off.

“We’re working very hard right now to deliver PS4 and Xbox One in 1080p but I can’t confirm whether it’s possible. It’s probably easier for me to confirm it’ll happen for PlayStation 4, because it appears on this one we’re almost nailing it and pretty much there. For Xbox One though, it’s slightly tougher and we’re still working on it, so I can’t confirm that yet.”

Want more? Check out my big Lords of the Fallen interview with Gop.

1. OmegaSlayer

Shocking news…

#1 8 months ago
  2. Mike W

Come on , give it a rest.

#2 8 months ago
  3. Obernox

Slightly? SUGARCOAT, SUGARCOAT!

/jk

#3 8 months ago
  4. Mike W

In any case, am I going crazy? Because I thought EA was the publisher for this game.

#4 8 months ago
  5. Mike W

@Obernox

Lol, well he’s not going to come out bluntly and say the XBO is a ‘fucking pain in the ass’ to achieve 1080p. Even he indirectly implies it. ;)

But all jokes aside, even if the game is 900p (I’m not defending the XBO) on the XBO it will still look good guys. This resolution thing sometimes get blown out of proportion……sometimes.

#5 8 months ago
  6. Gheritt White

XBOX ONE IS BOOOOOOONED

#6 8 months ago
  7. FeaturePreacher

They should just accept a lower resolution for xbone and try to push for 60 fps on ps4. Perhaps MS could release an xbone with GDDR 5 ram. Sure, it would upset those that already got an xbone, but they’re foolish enough to think kinect was necessary. Moreover they’re loyal enough to MS that they would spend the money again, especially if devs target the better version like they did with the 360 and its hard drive.

#7 8 months ago
  8. ManuOtaku

I dont agree with him, i do prefer a game with lower resolution but with steady frame rates, lets say 900 with 60 fps, than a high resolution game that suffers from frame rates, lets say 1080 with 30 or lower fps. Of course the better situation is having both, but if i have to sacrifice something it will be resolution.

I think pushing for increased pixels just for the sake of it or for reaching a new standard is doing more damage than good. Good gameplay performance should be the main focus, example thief.

#8 8 months ago
  9. Moonwalker1982

This is not a surprise anymore. If you want to make Xbox One your main console, which i want, you just gotta accept it. I just hope it will at least be 900p and not 720p, 720p should be a thing of the past. Ryse was 900p and it looks amazing. Now hopefully it is true what some developers have been saying, that a new upcoming SDK will help devs achieve 1080p more easily on X1.

#9 8 months ago
  10. ManuOtaku

I mean thief for the 1080/900 witt 3o fps or lower, it would have been better at 720 but with solid 60 fps

#10 8 months ago
  11. Michael Ireland

Here we go again.

#11 8 months ago
  12. Edo

Who wants some sour grapes?

#12 8 months ago
  13. Mike W

@FeaturePreacher

Hmmmmm……..I see what they were trying to do XBO. I mean who wouldn’t want to create the first device that you literally can do everything with?

But it’s crystal clear that they ‘bite off more than can chew’ with this whole you need the Kinect to truly experience next generation. However, that turned out to be false.

They tried to convince to the consumer that this whole model of “the power of cloud” well make the XBO more powerful than its competitors, that as well has yet to be proven.

MS is definitely between a rock and hard place and they can only blame themselves for their mishaps. But I don’t think they have anything to worry about because their loyal fans are complete fools and will support their console no matter what.

#13 8 months ago
  14. Legendaryboss

YOU DON’T SAY?

#14 8 months ago
  15. ManuOtaku

@Mike W Why a person that gets an xbox one is a complete fool? there is people tha really wants to play their exclusives and to have xbox live, like myself. I tend to own all consoles for their exclusives and The multiplatform games i tend to get the best version. I believe some gamers are the same they/ i are / am not fools.

I will get one as also will get ps4, titles like ryse, forza and dead rising looks pretty good with good pixel count and good frame rate.

Having said that if multi platform games that are 900p 60 fps on one, and 1080p 30 fps on playstation, i will get the xbox one version, for example, but if third parties can make rhe games on sony system run at 1080p with 60 fps i will get them on it. I prefer better perfomance than pixel count, and for me that is not being fool

#15 8 months ago
  16. zoopdeloop

@Mike W speak of the devil.Some here are the sheep who will roll around if a new SDK comes out eventually.
    To be honest i enjoy all of MS’s mishaps this gen.They were too cocky in the last from the very aggresive inmature competitors , to douches in general so they kind of deserve it.

#16 8 months ago
  17. ManuOtaku

i really need the edit button back Asap, it is hard to type on my phone without mistakes :S

#17 8 months ago
  18. Mike W

@ManuOtaku

I apologize for my last statement if it came off as stating that everyone that buys a XBO is a fool. As stated many times before I have both consoles, but at the same time I acknowledge that they’re flaws on both platforms that needs to be address.

What I meant by the ‘XBO loyal fans are fools’ are the ones that see the flaws in the system and still praise it like it’s the best thing since slice bread.

#18 8 months ago
  19. ManuOtaku

@Mike W ok, no harm done mate, and i agree with this reasoning.

#19 8 months ago
  20. Major Mayhem 70

@Mike W
    To call people that purchase an Xbox One complete fools is a bit harsh. It would be like me calling you an idiot for only buying a PS4, knowing that both systems has its advantages and exclusives. I own both and don’t feel like an idiot or a fool. Fortunate would be how I feel cause I don’t have to settle for one or the other. Grow up man. People decide based on what they prefer. Considering I actually own both systems, I can honestly say you can’t go wrong with whatever console you pick, if you only had the option of buying one.

#20 8 months ago
  21. Major Mayhem 70

@Mike W
    I see how you tried to change what you said, and I still disagree with how your trying to twist it. You assume that there is a flaw in the system that X1 owners see but refuse to admit. If not being able to produce 1080p as easily as the PS4 or even capable of achieving it at all, doesn’t necessarily mean the system is flawed. Since you own both systems, you of all people should know that there are things that the X1 does that the PS4 isn’t able to do. Does that make the PS4 flawed in that respect?

#21 8 months ago
  22. Mike W

@Major Mayhem 70

Ummmm….I just clarify what I meant to say and apologize for any confusion. So please spare me with your bullshit insults and read all my comments before you make dickhead of yourself.

#22 8 months ago
  23. Mike W

@Major Mayhem 70

Lol :)

You’re killing me, try taking your own advice and “grow up”.

I’m not trying to twist or assume anything and I’m not trying to make this into a pissing contest between the XBO and PS4. Whether you choose to believe it or not, the XBO has its flaws, one in particular is this resolution issue.

But there are other issues as well, such as the dashboard not loading properly and the infamous Kinect not working properly whether it be by voice commands or gestures.

There’s no reason for you to get bent out of shape, because I’m pointing out obvious issues that even MS themselves admitted that’s wrong with the system.

#23 8 months ago
  24. pukem0n

Ryse was only 900p and still looked better than anything that ran on PS4, so no worries i guess

#24 8 months ago
  25. bobnice

@Mike W

@ManuOtaku

I agree with both you guys. Resolution is blown way out of proportion. An I would gladly slightly sacrifice resolution to get a higher framerate. I used to do it on my PC games all the time. If I could lower resolution in order to achieve higher texture quality, effects or framerate on my pc games I would do it in a heartbeat.

I feel the same with these new consoles, resolution is a silly discussion especislly when the games are being upscaled to 1080p anyway. I really hope games will not become slaves to resolution. Art, texture quality, effects and framerate are more important to how well a game looks on screen, Ryse (900p) is a great example of that.

#25 8 months ago
  26. Erthazus

@pukem0n which is total bullshit.

#26 8 months ago
  27. ManuOtaku

@bobnice 100% concur

#27 8 months ago
  28. Panthro

@pukem0n

“My poo is a better shape and is shinier than your poo even though mine is smaller.”

That’s how I interpreted your post.

#28 8 months ago
  29. OlderGamer

Save yourself some coin Manu, don’t buy Ryse. Not for full price anyways. It is bad game even by launch standards. The graphics aren’t as good as some fans claim they are. The textures can be down right bad. But more offensive is the very poor gameplay. Poorly done hack and slash with a qte laden combat system. I was perhaps most disappointed with Ryse as an of the other “next gen” games thus far.

Like Mike W I own all of the next gen systems(WiiU too). And like Mike W I think they all have flaws. None of them were ready for release and none of them make a strong case for moving to the next gen. None of them are worth the price tags they have. Better games are coming, I hope.

#29 8 months ago
  30. Panthro

@bobnice

You cannot really measure art, texture quality and effects though, so this makes framerate and resolution easy targets to either ridicule or praise.

Sure textures do have resolutions but it is doubtful console developers would reveal what resolution textures they are using as a lot of the times it would probably be embarressing.

People need straight up facts and numbers to argue about, art, quality etc is all a matter of opinion whereas framerate and resolution is ALWAYS the higher the better.
    People who disagree are brainwashed monkeys

I too lower the settings to acheive 60fps in every game, there is rarely a time when I need to other than times where games push passed the limits of a decent rig (Planetside 2 large scale battles, lots of AI on screen etc etc) its rare. But framerate should always take precedent.

#30 8 months ago
  31. Gheritt White

BUSYING AN XBONE GIVES YOU CANCERAIDS – FACT!

#31 8 months ago
  32. Gheritt White

@Gheritt White *buying

#32 8 months ago
  33. OlderGamer

And for the sake of gaming, resolution is not blown out of proportion. What is this the 16bit generation?

Last gen wasn’t terrible. Not at all. This new gen was ‘possed to improve things. Better looking games s where that starts. It isn’t as if gameplay can be revolutionized at this point. Pad based controls have pretty much reached their peak. That isn’t/shouldn’t change. A second screen can be a nice addition, but not going to revolutionize anything. We have the same franchises. Same controls. What is left? Most notably(all tho not the only) thing is graphics. The new games should all be locked in at 60fps/1080p.

Then go from there.

So yes, Resolution matters. A lot.

Don’t fool yourself.

#33 8 months ago
  34. OlderGamer

Another thought, what about these systems makes them “Next Gen”?

Graphics, and the new gameplay they enable(like how N64 allowed Mario64(a launch game btw), a game that couldn’t have been done on SNES), to me are a huge part of what makes the experience stand apart from past gens.

So what does each system bring to the table?

What makes them stand apart from past gens?

I am not going to offer an opinion or an answer. But I think we should all be asking that question. I wished I had asked that before I bought hardware. I can afford it, but buying new hardware for the sake of buying new hardware can be expensive. And worse can lead to regret, remorse and disappointment. For me I just feel the disappointment. And maybe a bit of hope that better games will come out in the years to come. I was just hoping for better, right now.

#34 8 months ago
  35. ManuOtaku

@OlderGamer thanks for the tip on ryse, but eventually i will get it when is cheap, a lot of considered “bad” games, by media and some gamers, like dark sector, dark void, alpha protocol and a bunch of others i did really like them and very happy with give them a chance.

Having said that, i dont agree with your opinion regarding resolution, because that way of thinking we as consumers will send a very terrible sign of complacency that every new generation will be fine with just more pixels, and what about improved AI, better quality textures and effects, new development tools to improve what it is available, bigger scales from enemies to worlds, etc all the things that makes a game, that are important.

The new fox engine is a great example, what it did achive on the old consoles with the same resolution, but different tools in metal gear, is very eye opening, we need more of that in the industry.

If we not demand more, as consumers, we will not get more.

#35 8 months ago
  36. ManuOtaku

Og by the way happy to have a conversation with you again pal.

#36 8 months ago
  37. OlderGamer

I wouldn’t want to give the impression that I think only resolution matters. Or that graphics are supreme above all else. But what I am suggesting is that if this is truly a next generation and these are hardware that are worthy of that moniker, why do we have to chose between resolution and something else?

Why can’t we have 60fps/1080p AND all of those other things?

Visuals are a pretty important part of the gaming experience.

I spent 350usd on WiiU, 400usd on PS4, and 400usd on XBO(took advantage of a deal), I just want more. I do agree with you Manu, “If we not demand more, as consumers, we will not get more.” I agree 100%

#37 8 months ago
  38. Mike W

@OlderGamer

Good point, but again resolution is not everything and the same can be said for fps.

I honestly believe 900p vs 1080p is not that huge of a difference. If it’s 720p vs 1080p then I will agree with you because you clearly can see a difference.

But in any case, I would love for both the XBO and PS4 to push out 1080p/60fps titles. But the systems are not going to be able to do that right now……well at least the XBO is not able to do that right now at the “moment” (I’m looking out for your feelings Major Mayhem 70).

#38 8 months ago
  39. ManuOtaku

Og i did read your last comment and i got your point, sorry i did write my respond without getting your point, so dont mind my respond, because we are on the same page. I understand that pixels are important because is the only differentiation from last gen and that is sad, o hope it changes in the next upcoming years and games, we need improvement in all areas

#39 8 months ago
  40. OlderGamer

Yeah I don’t log on like I used to Manu. New site and all. And despite my ranting, I have been playing my new systems. I play BF4 on XBO(a little Zoo Tycoon too) and Madden25 and the indies on PS4. I have been renting games for both. Still waiting on Second Son(darn Gamefly, so slow). They aren’t terrible. I feel they could have and really, should have been so much more.

I feel the res topic is a big deal too, because the lower the res the worse the games Jaggies can be.

#40 8 months ago
  41. Gheritt White

@OlderGamer “I think better games will come out, this is still launch window after all. And it is filled with mutli generational games. But nothing I have played has wow’d me and nothing to me, looks like it couldn’t be done on past gen systems.”

You hear this *ever* gen! Technically, you could have designed BioShock, Mass Effect and Assassin’s Creed for the original Xbox, they just wouldn’t have looked as good.

Sounds to me your post-rationalising your switch to PC as your primary platform, OG.

#41 8 months ago
  42. Mike W

@OlderGamer

Just wait my friend, I’m super excited for the Witcher 3, Batman: AK, Dragon Age: I, The Order: 1886, Quantum Break etc.

It’s definitely going to be a great generation for both systems

#42 8 months ago
  43. ManuOtaku

@OlderGamer I havent posted here like over in a year, just recently, and i will try to post more, michael made a recomdatiom for that.

I hope you will post more as well.

I forgot, one thing that is good is the no loading times in games, dont know myseld but what i do get from some comments, if thats the case That is the type of improvements that are needed, the ones that improve the experience and performance as well.

#43 8 months ago
  44. budoshi

Ragnar Lodbrok…20 years older.

#44 8 months ago
  45. Major Mayhem 70

@Mike W
    Don’t worry about my feelings dude, obviously I struck something with yours though. I got you going from calling Xbox owners “fools” which your included in that. To now all of a sudden “it’s going to be a great generation for both systems”. Now that’s more like it. I see you have grown… Lol

#45 8 months ago
  46. Mike W

@Major Mayhem 70

How stupid are you? Do you really think you accomplished anything by your ridiculous responses?

The only thing you prove is how much of a fool you are, jumping off the deep end when you think someone is attacking your precious XBO. Maybe if you didn’t have a third grade reading level, you could’ve comprehend what I was trying to say with my comments.

I’m done with your dumb ass.

#46 8 months ago
  47. Druined

I hope CI Games finished Lords of the Fallen on time without delay and we can play on it in 1080p Full HD:) I hope that the developers meet this challenge. Work hard and strive for a designated purpose I keep fingers crossed for them.

#47 8 months ago
  48. Major Mayhem 70

@Mike W
    Such colorful language all through your postings. Your vocabulary must be limited. Understandable though, your ignorance is highlighted by your point of view being all over the place. Your scatterbrained, so I’ll excuse your lack of tact…

#48 8 months ago
  49. POOhead

@ManuOtaku The game is actually decent (I played it with 0 hype as well and thought it would be boring but it did it surprise me) its a solid 6/10 game and og is kinda wrong, qtes are completely optional and the combat is more arkham city then a hack and slash, its alot harder then ac as well, onlines fun if you liked me3s multiplayer. This is coming from someone who enjoyed dark sector, tenchu z and even dynasty warriors gundam haha

#49 8 months ago
  50. fearmonkey

I can only speak for myself, but resolution is a big deal to me. The game simply looks better at max res compared to upscaled, and very noticeable to me, When AC:4 released the 1080p patch from 900p on PS4, it was a very noticeable change. I can tell the difference on my 50inch TV from 10 to 12 feet away no problem.

I;ll get an Xbox eventually for the exclusives, but unlike last gen where I was all about the Xbox 360, I am now all about the PC and PS4 (and some Vita) this gen. PC gaming has come back in a big way for me, and it’s where I spend the bulk of my gaming time these days.

#50 8 months ago
  51. Druined

Looking for trailer to this game allways I find gameplay on XBOX version. In my opinion now this game looks very pretty:) So maybe will not be big difference.

#51 8 months ago
  52. Digger

I had ps1 and it was my last non PC device. Maybe becouse graphic is important maybe becouse i hate gamepads. Maybe becouse i dont have to think ‘will i get 1080p’ :) Most likely when they release game they try to make an update with 1080p we will see.

#52 8 months ago
  53. Druined

@Digger Why you hate gamepads? I like play on in even on PC:) Nowdays most game is develop more on the controller than a keyboard. For me nothing wrong with that:) I very interesting how control will looks on PC.

#53 8 months ago
  54. infernalism

@Mike W
    Dragon Age: Inquisition is a cross-platform title, from EA no less. I REALLY can’t expect this game to usher in a new generation of video games and I am surprised anyone is so hopeful in this regard.

The Witcher 3 on the other hand…so much good press from the people who saw the alpha in action, so much ambition from the developers themselves, and they are not controlled by a publisher. Last, but not least, the title only comes out on PS4, XBO and PC…Yes, if there is anyone who can do it, CDPR with their conculsion to the Witcher saga are the ones.

Batman: Arkham Knight is also a strong candidate.

#54 7 months ago