Destiny: Bungie discusses co-op involvement, player choices

Tuesday, 2nd April 2013 13:13 GMT By Dave Cook

Destiny developer Bungie has stressed that when playing co-op, your team-mates won’t be pushed to the side during cinematic scenes like in Halo. You’ll all be given star billing. There will also be an emphasis on choices as you play.

Speaking with IGN, design director Joe Staten said of Destiny’s co-op, “In the same way we’re making your heroic story, your legend, that carries over into the cinematics. You’re the star of the cinematics as much as you’re the star of your own heroic tale.

“So if you’re playing in a co-op way, we’re not going to do that crappy thing that happened in the old Halo games where, if you’re playing co-op, you don’t show up…you’re not the primary role.”

Destiny will surpass Bungie’s Halo games in a co-op regard, but also in making players feel more involved thanks to pivotal decisions about who your character is and what they do. “Putting a history into the world was extremely important,” Staten continued, “something you felt you were fighting for, the civilization that was once yours that’s fallen, that’s trying to recover.

“But it also goes to player choice, too, and not just choices you’d get in a Halo game, the moment to moment of how I’m going to take apart this encounter, what’s my combat toolset? What kind of character do I want to be in the world? Do I want to be a man or do I want to be a woman? That’s a choice we never gave someone in the Halo games.”

Destiny sounds like an increasingly ambitious and engaging experience at its core – even if you disapprove with the presentation or plot. What do you think about the difference between playing as a written hero with a defined voice, versus playing a blank-slate character you make for yourself?

Can it work in a game like Destiny? Let us know below.

1. FrayJoker

The ideas here are crazy ambitious. Whether or not they work out in the same way we’re being told they’re going to work out? I really don’t think there’s any reasonable way to tell until the game comes out.

If they do manage to pull this off, then this will certainly represent a substantial step forward in co-op depth. Which is hardly a bad thing.

2. G1GAHURTZ

I wonder if anyone from Bungie is physically capable of talking about Destiny without mentioning the world Halo at least 7 times…

3. Kabby

4. polygem

@1: i hope they will pull this off and i am really optimistic about it actually. i think bungie know very well what they are doing and i think they really WANT to make this happen. i believe they 100% WANT to wow and impress everyone with destiny putting a lot of work and passion into this franchise. it means a lot for them. i cannot wait to finally check it out myself.

@2: hehe. yes that must be damn tough for them indeed.

5. viralshag

Sounds a lot like SWTOR. I’m looking forward to this game. The idea of more MMOs on consoles is great to me.

6. Max Payne

What I don’t understand are they going to make i expansion pack like Blizz is doing for WoW ? Or every 4 year complete new game ?

7. stretch215

This will have competitive elements, right?

8. viralshag

@6, This is what makes me curious about games like this launching on this gen consoles. I’m half wondering if they plan on people buying the game on the 360/PS3, and then upgrading to a next-gen console and buying it again.

@7, I imagine they will have some sort of PVP element, if that’s what you mean? I think they would be crazy not to offer that.