Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P restrictions revealed

Wednesday, 17th October 2012 08:41 GMT By Dave Cook

Star Wars: The Old Republic has caught up with the rest of the MMO pack, and is integrating free-to-play features into the fold. However, these will restrict what players can experience while playing. Said restrictions have now been revealed into the wild. Get the list below

Massively reports that the Star Wars: The Old Republic’s free element will come with the following free restrictions and features:

Three Flashpoints per week
Three Warzones per week
Three Space Missions per week
The option to buy a weekly premium pass
Inventory expansion and cargo hold restrictions
Field revivals upon death are restricted
Character creation restrictions
Limited quick travel
Restrictions on login wait time

What do you make of these cut-backs for free players? Is restricting something like quick travel – which is an instrumental part of MMO play – a step too far? Let us know below.

Check out the full list of restrictions over at the SWTOR site.

1. Christopher Jack

Hate these kind of F2P scenarios. A game should reward you for paying(mostly cosmetically), not punish you for not paying.

2. Mineral4r7s

Yeah I agree, I was looking to playing this game again once it turns F2P but with these restrictions theres no use.

3. FabioPal

A step too far?

I’d say a LOT of steps too far! Restricting missions flashpoints and warzones per week is just mental!

4. roadkill

Outrageous! Bioware keeps mocking the Star Wars player base. At least that’s my point of view. I’m still going to keep aways from this. It’s not like I don’t have other much much better games to play. Or will do by the time this goes “free to play”. Ha! Come to think of it, these restrictions are just another way of saying “this is free for the first 20 levels”.

5. Puggy

Yeah, well at least the Story (main pillar of the game, if you believe the early interviews) is free. Not like anyone cared about it as much as I can remember.

anyway the restrictions are needed, else all the paying people would stop paying and just switch to F2P, meaning even more loss of income. I do find three FPs and WZs a bit low though. Maybe if you could buy more entries somehow with ingame gold. Or by finishing Achievements, similar to LotR Online it might work. Else not really worth the hassle. Ah well, time will tell I guess.

6. Sylrissa

Personally. The story was the only reason I played it, I dabbled in warzones/flashpoints etc, but only at the request of friends when they wanted to take a break from questing.

7. viralshag

I don’t think it’s great but I think if you’re planning on playing everything, all the time as much as you like, then you should man up and pay the sub.

If people have been holding off until it became F2P to play this game, then you obviously were never that bothered and what you get out of it would probably be more than enough any way.

Gamers… never happy with anything.

8. Talkar

These restrictions were posted when F2P was announced a few months back…
    But i think they should have limited the story and allowed you to do more flashpoints, seeing as the story is what SWTOR is all about.

9. roadkill

Well some people like to flashpoint, some people like to warzone and other like to space mission. Just with the 3 first restrictions Bioware managed to keep all of these away. Good job Bioware!

10. deathm00n

I’m worried with “Character Creation Restrictions”. What does this mean? Classes locked? Appearences pieces locked? Limited character slots?

The other ones are okay for me, played the beta and really enjoyed it, but I never paid for a MMO and hope to continue like that. And as you said the story is what kept me interested in it at the beta

11. NocturnalB

I had considering checking it out again but not with these restrictions. It’s way too clunky to be worth that. This game.. was just such a huge disaster..

12. helios

It’s normal to get some sort of ‘limitation’ on any F2P based titles; however, most of them only revolves around pushing players on purchasing premium items.

For SWTOR, it appears EA has cooked up some ridiculous ideas to milk more money out from players’ pockets. Now, they are paying the price.