Notch to Schafer: “Let’s make Psychonauts 2 happen”

Tuesday, 7th February 2012 14:30 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Following comments that a sequel had been pitched “several times” to no avail this morning, Mojang boss Markus Persson has publicly offered on Twitter Double Fine head Tim Schafer to fund Psychonauts 2.

Minecraft creator Notch said in a tweet aimed at Schafer: “Let’s make Psychonauts 2 happen.”

He further made clear his standing on the matter by telling Rock, Paper, Shotgun in a further tweet he was “serious” in doing a deal with Double Fine. Schafer is yet to comment on the offer.

Persson’s offer came as comments from Schafer came to light this morning from a Digital Spy interview, where he said he had pitched the sequel to publishers “several times” without success.

The original Psychonauts launched back in 2005 to massive critical acclaim and a big fan following, but low sales.

1. Phoenixblight

That would be so awesome!

2. DSB

Schafer would have to be batshit crazy to turn that down. Psychonauts 2, no Activision, no EA, no bullshit.

What’s next for Notch? Funding the next Elite? He’s going to be crowned Pope eventually.

3. deathgaze

Notch is now a playboy game investor. I like it.

4. LOLshock94

never really liked notch, but what hes do is pretty cool (havnt played Psychonauts)

5. Madcat NL

Notch has the money to fly a private jet every once in a while, so funding Psychonauts 2 should be no problem. Please, please do this!

6. TheBlackHole

THIS is why I love this industry.

7. The_Red

Mineonauths!
    But seriously. MAKE. THIS. HAPPEN. Sadly, this is nothing but a fun tweet exchange.

8. ManuOtaku

“to massive critical acclaim and a big fan following, but low sales”.
    that will be the saddest thing i will read this entire week hands down

p.s You know i do never use tweeter or facebook for that matter, i dont like them, but if this sites can help making great games, i will change my mind about them, not that i will use them by any means, but i will think they can do some good too, i hope Schafer will say yes, is like a marriage proposal here, now this reminds me of the girly screams with the tissue at hand picture 8D

9. Colin Gallacher

I’m still waiting for Grim Fandango 2 :(

10. ManuOtaku

#9 well i understand your feeling, iam still waiting for Grim Fandango on PSN/XBLA, i want to play this game, i never played on PC, i hope they grant both of our wishes.

11. DSB

I don’t think you could ever make Grim Fandango 2. At least I don’t think anyone should.

At most you could try to update it into a more modern format.

That’s the most moving and engaging story I’ve ever played. I’ve never felt as sad for finishing a game as I did when it ended.

Making Grim Fandango 2 would be like making “Apocalypse Now 2″ or “Dr Strangelove 2″ or “Das Boot 2″.

It just can’t be done. It is what it is, and thank fuck for that.

12. The_Red

@11 No! Don’t do this. If even a single hollywood exec ever sees this post we’ll be doomed.
    But seriously while I’m not against GF2, I do think that it would probably end up inferior to the original.

13. Colin Gallacher

@10 I believe there’s a small team working on somewhat of a remastered version. Completely independent affair though. :(

@11 But…I’m looking forward to Das Boot 2: Electric Boogaloo!

14. deathgaze

Dude, a Grim Fandango update would be EPIC.

15. Erthazus

I hope so that Notch will help to fund Psychonauts 2. Let’s do this.

16. mightyhokie

Okay, this is going to be sort of long.

@11 I TOTALLY agree with you on NO GF2. GF was a masterpiece…the complete package. it was the first time I have ever noticed a Hollywood-level voice acting in a game. The art direction was breathtaking, perfectly fusing 1930s Noir (think Cassablanca…even the font for the title) with art deco inspired Day of the Dead Mexican lore (sorry…I’m an artist so I get a bit geeked out about great art direction). The music was fantastic Jazz with a latin feel…
    And the story was incredible. TONS of humor (of course) but romance, adventure, and you really, really cared about the characters. Manny Callivera is still one of my top 10 game characters ever. As for the game play, well it was the first game to use ’3d-levels’…that is to say they were sprites but done in a way that you actually walked through a room (on a path) but it looked 3d. Also, and this was the big seller game-play-wise, when Manny would walk past a ‘clue’ or ‘object of interest which might not be a clue but trigger a hilarious comment’ his head would ‘snap’ towards the object to let you know something of importance was there. Remember…these ‘find-this/find-that/use-them-together’ kind of games were everywhere but you could play other games for an hour just looking on one screen and totally miss an important clue. This was a serious advancement in the point-and-click adventures.
    It seemed like I went from playing 16-color graphics with midi music to Grim Fandango. Folks…the creativity of this game cannot be understated.
    That being said…Grim Fandango (no spoilers here!) had an ending. It is done. Sure, you could come up with a way to use the same characters (which would make no sense) or use the name and come up with another set of characters (which would make no sense), but like you suggested, it would be like making ‘Apocalypse Now 2: Electric Boogaloo…this time, its personal!’.

@2…no worries man. Schafer will make this happen. He’s been waiting to make Psychonauts 2 for a long time now. His biggest rub has always been ‘working with the establishment’, which is why he basically broke off and started doing his own thing, to much success and fan fair. His last big game was Brutal Legend, which I consider to be fantastic (plus I’m 42 and that game was really made for my generation to be honest…1980s metal heads). After that he started making the smaller games for XBL and PSN, Costum Quest, Stackers (super brilliant), Iron Brigade (fun demo but not my type of game), and Once Upon a Monster which is incredible and fun (I have a 16 month old…).
    Schafer has been touting this project for years…now that he has a chance to make it happen and work with another set of very creative people…bank on it.

@4…why have you not played Psychonauts? Its on XBL and I assume the PSN. Its like the comedy version of BioShock…but different.

17. mightyhokie

@13…curse you! I typed “Apocalypse Now 2: Electric Boogaloo…this time, its personal!” while you were typing your joke using Electric Boogaloo! My was so winded that you beat me to it! I’m telling mom!
    =P

18. Colin Gallacher

Hah! Sorry :D

19. Joe Musashi

Hello fellow road crew worker. Welcome to the road crew.

I very much enjoyed Psychonauts and have no doubt that the same minds behind the first can produce an equally smart and enjoyable follow up.

That said, Psychonauts failed to perform commercially. There’s a big difference between a well received game and a game that sells well. Publishers are increasingly risk-averse and Psychonauts simply isn’t very marketable in today’s climate.

The same turned out to be true of Brutal Legend and I can’t help thinking that the biggest publisher in the world knew exactly what they were doing when they dropped out of their contract with it and funnelled cash into Guitar Hero and COD instead.

JM

20. DSB

@16 Said it before, but I’ll say it again.

I’m a metalhead with all the credentials, but that really didn’t serve to make Brütal Legend less of a disappointment.

It just felt halfcocked and halfassed. No matter how many metal musicians you add, it still won’t make it any good. And I don’t feel like it represented the scene very well either.

It was definitely aiming for the Wacken crowd more than the Keep it True crowd.

And replacing Dio with Tim Curry? You gotta be fucking kidding me.

I like Schafers past work a lot, pretty much all of ‘em are classics, but that game really made me doubt whether he’d lost it completely.

21. DuckOfDestiny

I can imagine this being a bit of a success with Mojang as publisher. I can’t help but imagine the Notch brigade would be all over it, along with fans a Schafer and the original.

22. Sadismek

Notch became an investor… Nais.

23. mightyhokie

I can understand what you are saying. I think that the least interesting part of the game was some aspects of the game play. I loved the story, though. As for replacing Dio with Curry…think that might have had something to do with Dio dieing of throat cancer at the time? Go check out youtube for some solo Dio stuff at that time. Poor guy sounded like gravel. Sad, really.
    But I get what you are saying anyway. I was still impressed by the art direction and story. The scenes with “Holiday” and “Mr. Crowley”…man, that was gold.

24. DSB

@23 But he died of stomach cancer, and he didn’t know about it until late 2009, at which point Brütal Legend was already done. He was touring until August.

I can’t speak for how he sounded at the time, but in my opinion he was the best vocalist from the golden days when it came to delivering, bar none.

With Dickinson and Halford it all depends on the day. Ozzy Osbourne hasn’t sung his own stuff for years, but Dio was (at least usually) absolutely solid.

Don’t get me wrong though, I absolutely loved the idea, and I was stoked for the game. I was just pretty disappointed with what I got.

I don’t think it’s impossible to do a metal game, and I actually think people would accept it, even if it was centered around the underground. Walking into a metal cover would make an outstanding videogame any day of the week.

Reminds me of this:

There was actually a time where videogames DARED be that awesome.