FFXIV: Square considering Vita and smartphone support, “continuing talks” with MS over 360 version

Thursday, 20th October 2011 15:16 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Final Fantasy XIV boss Naoki Yoshida has said Vita and smartphone support for the MMO is being considered.

To put the skids of any talk of a Vita or smartphone-specific version of the game, Yoshida made clear that any support for these platforms would be through accessing your inventory and purchasing items in-game, among other things, when V2.0 – announced last week – is introduced next year.

“Yes, currently this is all post-2.0, but because we’re doing a reconstruction of our server system, in those plans, we’re going to make sure that the servers can be accessed by outside devices such as smart phones,” he told RPG Site in a long, infotastic interview.

“Not just the Vita, but also smartphones, so that kind of access will be allowed. That will open the door to things like applications that people can used to check their inventory, or check the market and purchase things from the auctions. Those are the things we are laying for in our server foundation, so we can be ready to implement those after 2.0.”

Yoshida also confirmed Square was “continuing talks” with Microsoft over a 360 version of the game – echoing comments made by former director Hiromichi Tanaka to VG247 before the game’s release at gamescom last year – but maintained the priority was the PS3 version.

The PS3 SKU will have a beta later next year, before properly launching in 2013.

“The one thing to regain that damaged player trust is to keep those promises, and one of the promises was to release a PlayStation 3 version – we made that promise long, long ago, and we still haven’t kept it,” said Yoshida.

“We made that promise not only to the players, but to Sony as well. The first thing that we need to do, to regain that trust, is to fulfill those promises of bringing the PS3 version. Our priority right now is getting that version finished.”

He added that moving the game over from PC to 360 “wouldn’t be that difficult, but as we said before, the thing we have to get done first is getting that PS3 version done.”

As he put it, “we’re going to wait and see what’s happening after we delivered what we’ve promised.”

1. DLTDawnlight

But after seeing how this game failed on PC, who cares?

2. Elven_Star

Why not a full proper version for Vita? Pretty sure Vita can handle it.

3. xavdeman

I hope they allocate some money when the new version launched for marketing. And give a mega-discount to all existing customers.

4. The_Red

Why do they keep focusing the most hated game and try to spread it even more? Just dump this game and go work on a good new FF game instead of pouring so much cash into a broken project like this.

5. Razor

No-one cares about this game.

Move on.

6. Johnny Cullen

Going by that interview and past comments made by Yoshida-san, it looks like Square are really, really trying to sort it out. I’d give them a second chance tbh.

7. 2plus2equals5

The more the better for vita.
    Se passed from considering ffxi to considering ffxiv for vita… I think it’s the best thing, ffxi is valid but very old, if they really want to continue working on ffxiv it’s a right choice to make a vita version.

8. FredEffinChopin

I love the fact that despite the fact that people consistently read and comment on every FFXIV article, you always see comments that seem suited to the game that was released 12 months ago, totally neglecting everything that’s happened since then.

@2 I’m sure it can’t. I’m not even thinking in terms of the hardware inside, but just the fact that a screen that small wouldn’t be very accommodating to an MMO. Assuming one could even make out all the characters on the screen and their names, and that 3G speeds and ping time were sufficient for it, the text log would just be impossible. The idea of it does sound neat though.

9. jldoom

Honestly, I’m still holding out hopes for this game. Maybe it’s because I played FFXI to death, or maybe it’s because I sort of want a new MMORPG to keep me hooked that I can play on my PS3, but I STILL want to give this a shot. It sucks though that they are going to be forced to wait until 2013 in the mean time to iron out the kinks. I would like it sometime in 2012, having to wait a WHOLE other year for a game that was promised LAST year at first really sucks.

10. Epic Fool

@6 I just recently jumped into this game again after patch 1.19 hit and I have to say it’s improved a lot, I’m really enjoying it now.

Not saying it’s perfect, but definitely enjoyable, and with all the things still planned for it, so much potential…