DICE: Battlefield 3 beta attracted 8 million users

Tuesday, 18th October 2011 01:48 GMT By Brenna Hillier

DICE has revealed some impressive statistics from the Battlefield 3 open beta.

Posting an infographic on the Battlefield Blog, DICE mused on the real world implications of the massive numbers it collected.

“Did you know that if we had an empty 9mm casing for every shot fired in the Open Beta, we would have enough brass to melt and build almost 3,900 SU-27 Flanker jets?” the developer asked.

The 8 million players racked up 1.5 billion kills, among other startling figures. See the full infographic below.

Battlefield 3′s beta came under heavy criticism but has since been strongly defended as an old build.

Expect the shooter on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 next week. Golly.

Thanks, Gamershell.

1. LOLshock94

glitchiest demo ive ever played….and the game plays like shit…just saying

2. Razor

I had to reassess my gaming credentials after playing the beta, as I had no fucking idea what was going on. I assumed everyone else did.

3. WolfStar932

Beta had a few glitches here and there. Nothing Game-breaking (except for the clunky ground collision). I enjoyed it. Looking forward to the full game next week.

4. jldoom

Yeah, I’ll wait to see the review round-up (which I’ve grown quite fond of from this site btw :) ) and see how the final build of the game fares. And I was so excited about this title as well :/

5. DarkElfa

The flashlight was game breaking.

At least as far as I was concerned.

6. Talkar

And you are the kind of people DICE has been talking about, it was a beta, not a demo xD
    It was one of the less glitchy beta’s i’ve tried. (Anyone remember WoW v. 0.7? o.O)

7. John117

@5 Not as gamebreaking as the noobtube, last stand and spas from CoD >>

8. endgame

didn’t they say 12 million first?

9. Fin

Nah, the 12 million was a VG247 misinterpretation of something DICE said, if I recall.

10. endgame

ah all right. ty!

11. GrimRita

47 billion shots fired and only 1.5 registered kills? Either everyone was shit at shooting or their crappy hitbox reg rate is still haunting it.

I was amazed at looking on youtube, the amount of hacks already around for just the demo.

12. YoungZer0

@11: Demo? You mean Beta, right?

13. triggerhappy

@12: LMFAO OMG THIS IS GOING TO GO ON FOREVERRRRRR

14. GrimRita

@12 whoops that was a typo lol. yes beta/demo/old build/new build/ who cares.

15. triggerhappy

@14: lol :D i’ll just be glad when it’s out and everyone stops talking about it as much :P