ESRB: Players will shoot “police officers” in BF3, EA responds

Tuesday, 11th October 2011 09:05 GMT By Johnny Cullen

And when we say respond, we don’t typically mean in the usual way.

EA’s responded to an ESRB rating from last week of Battlefield 3, which cites that players will be able to “shoot police officers to complete a mission objective.”

Speaking to Eurogamer in a statement, it said this: “I don’t think you understand the gravity of the situation. For God’s sake, there is a nuke in Paris! Millions of lives are at stake!!”

Never heard that line in an email before.

The option to shoot police officers will go against comments made by series producer Patrick Bach back in August.

“If you put the player in front of a choice where they can do good things or bad things, they will do bad things, go dark side – because people think it’s cool to be naughty, they won’t be caught,” he said as part of a visit to DICE from Rock, Paper Shotgun, VG247 and Eurogamer.

“In a game where it’s more authentic, when you have a gun in your hand and a child in front of you what would happen? Well the player would probably shoot that child.”

Battlefield 3 launches on October 25 in the US and October 28 in the UK for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. Anjiro

So a child in a police uniform would be the ultimate video game kill?

2. albo88

[deleted for being amazingly offensive]

3. noherczeg

Connecting

with:

“when you have a gun in your hand and a child in front of you what would happen? Well the player would probably shoot that child.”

IS PURE JOURNALISM…

Oh and while the first quote is probably pointing to a _story element_, the second one is a stereotype (wich is in most cases true).

4. Patrick Garratt

I’ve deleted that second comment. Any more of that and you’re banned.

5. silkvg247

Hell yeah I’d shoot kids. In a game. Just to elaborate.

Hmmm this is sparking off a great idea.. don’t you get sick of screaming kids when you go out for a nice meal at a restaurant, the cinema, etc?

Maybe a game which simulates these experiences, but gives you a full aresenal of child destroying gadgets. Such as an exploding puppy, or an arsenic chocolate bar.

@Patrick No idea what he said but hope you know this post is tongue in cheek. :)

6. Patrick Garratt

@5 – Course, yeah :)

He was being deliberately offensive. I’m well stern, me.

7. GrimRita

Many a night I’ve wanted to plant a bullet between the eyes of my neighbours kid – bastard thing keeps me awake with its crying.

The over riding issue here will be the media. Either DICE/EA have done this to create a media whirlwind and are just purely desperate for some ‘free’ media coverage or they have added this in as an essential part of the ‘story’ – could they have changed it to an adult? Probably. Would they achieve the same outcome in terms of gameplay? Probably.

Sorry EA, you’re really scrapping that barrel now

8. endgame

well if I’d be part of a team who would have to difuse the said situation “there is a nuke in Paris! Millions of lives are at stake!!” I would do w/e to accomplish my mission. yes, killing children as well. I wouldn’t do it lightly even if it’s just a videogame but I would do it. sacrifice a few so that many would live.

also THERE’S A F**KING NUKE IN PARIS!? great! thank you so much for the spoilers.

9. noherczeg

#7

I think it’s the other way. They’ve built in a story element wich isn’t really common and because of this (and it’s nature) this element gets/made a media hype. This doesn’t need to only be a bite for the media, it’s just uncommon to use it, that’s all IMHO.

10. GrimRita

@9 true. either way, this will be an excuse used in court one day ‘I shot that child because I played BF3 campaign’. Hopefully the Judge will say ‘youre talking crap – no one plays Battlefield for its campaign!’ lol

11. strikkebil

since when did vg247 start putting spoilers in headlines?
    disgusting.

12. viralshag

“ESRB: Players will shoot “police officers” in BF3, EA responds”

You really consider that a spoiler?

13. silkvg247

This news just in,

** SPOILTER ALERT **

in BF3 you shoot people!

14. viralshag

@13, I was thinking that same thing too. Wait what? I SHOOT PEOPLE!?

15. GrimRita

you shoot people? Then maybe I WILL buy this!! hahaha :)

16. DarkElfa

In all my years here, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone get their comment deleted that fast. He must have said something amazingly retarded.

17. GrimRita

I think he said something about voting Labour.

18. DarkElfa

@17, ha! That must be the equivalent of voting Tea Party over here in the states.

19. mojo

not at all.
    in games where im confronted with a good/bad way i ALWAYS choose the good way first.
    On a second playthrough i might go the bad route, but in generell if u put me on a decision i always go for the good.

of course, unless ur not supposed to act bad.

20. viralshag

Yeah I have to say this whole “the gamer will always do the bad thing” is a load of BS. I know plenty of gamer friends that actually HATE taking the evil / bad route and often will entirely skip certain things like a renegade ME playthrough because of it.

Maybe I’m over-thinking it but making comments like that do nothing to help the argument that gamers are after something more than just shooting and killing.

Maybe not me personally, I love being bad, evil, shooting and killing. But how I do love Flower…

21. Gekidami

If i recall correctly, SuckerPunch said that the majority of players chose to follow the good karma route in Infamous. So saying that gamers will ALWAYS go the evil way apparently isnt a constant.

But anyway, so i assume these are French police officers you’ll be gunning down? I dont quite get how the plot could lead up to that, but it’ll be interesting to find out.

22. OrbitMonkey

Dammit I’m more interested in what #2 posted now T_T

Anyway gunning down police? Wonder If It happens in a airport? No that’d be too blatent… probably in a train station… How many other inspirations you’ll steal from. CoD Dice?

23. IL DUCE

I don’t agree with his comments b/c maybe 13 year olds think its “cool to be naughty” and maybe its funny in a game like GTA or Saints Row to beat up pedestrians but I would not shoot a little kid in the face in a realistic video game (unless the little kid is EVIL!) cuz that’s just fucked up and kind of sociopathic…that’s a completely wrong generalization of gamers b/c I usually try to be the good guy in games and sure maybe I shoot some chickens in CoD for shits and gigs but I don’t think it would be that funny shooting a child in the face in a realistic war game…shooting police officers is whatever, if its part of the game I don’t really have a problem with it b/c I’m going to play it like the realistic authentic shooter its supposed to be…

I just wanted to make the point that I personally, even if I try to be the bad guy in games like Fallout or Mass Effect, cannot go through with it all the way and lean towards the lighter side overall b/c it just feels right…

24. DarkElfa

I honestly don’t see an issue with this. It’s not like someone playing this will finally take the initiative to go out and shoot a cop over this.

Anyone who would shoot a cop wouldn’t need a video game as an excuse to do so. I think doing the wrong thing in a video game is a good thing. It’s a sort of release and better that people release their dark side in a game than in real life.

25. LOLshock94

you can shoot police on gta, how is this any different?

26. OrbitMonkey

Their Is no issue here. ESRB made a simple comment on 1 element of the game & some EA exec has jumped all over It for free publicity, dropping a spoiler to really get his monies worth ;)

27. frostquake

All they have to do is make it “End Game” when you shoot a Good Cop or Child, and have you Reboot to an older save point.

So many games already have this implemented. Some have Escorts, where if the character your escorting dies, its “Game Over” and the game simply takes you to a previous saved check point.

So, if someone in BF3 wants to shoot a Cop or a Child, just either have it say game over, or have all the “Good” elements of the game, like war partners and cops and other turn on you in overwhelming numbers that your character dies.

Do the above, and people will tend to try it once and quit, and just move on.

Stay Frosty My Fiends!

28. DSB

You could build a mountain as high as the moon with all the cops you shot in Kane and Lynch 2. But they were from Asia, so they’re not people.

@27 It really doesn’t have to be that exagerated. If you want to discourage people from shooting cops and kids, all you have to do is give them minus points for it.

I absolutely hated shooting people in Swat 3, because I knew that’d get more points for cuffing them. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to do a doubletap, I just didn’t want to lose points.

29. Lounds

I’m sure police said that when they killed that innocent bloke on 7/7.

30. YoungZer0

@28: Kane & Lynch killed even more cops in the previous game. Some of them American.

31. GrimRita