Exclusive: Jaffe rejects BF3 hate and context-warping

Thursday, 21st July 2011 04:23 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Following a bizarre internet kerfuffle in which the Eat, Sleep, Play boss was accused of hating on Battlefield 3, David Jaffe has told VG247 he loves DICE and expects the game to be brilliant.

“I’ve enjoyed every Battlefield game I’ve ever played,” Jaffe wrote in an exclusive statement.

“I was very excited to get today’s EA and DICE email that reminded me that I would have access to the Battlefield 3 beta come September (access I gained from buying last year’s Medal of Honor, another game partially developed by DICE that I also really enjoyed).”

Jaffe had made comments about E3 footage of Battlefield 3 shown on GameTrailers, which showed a tank battle from the perspective of a turret, as not being enough evidence alone to label the game winner of everything forever. He was promptly accused of professional jealousy and besieged on Twitter and forums.

Now, the outspoken designer has explained that his comments were addressed at the general trend of treating graphical performance as the be-all and end-all, and not at Battlefield 3 in particular.

“My tweets were not complaining about the current well-deserved hype that Battlefield 3 has earned,” he protested.

“I have no issues with mega-hype that is based off amazing graphics and the trust that a great developer has so deservedly earned from its fans over the years.”

“My point was that based on that clip of gameplay alone, calling Battlefield 3 GAME OF THE SHOW and hyping it for anything other than the amazing visuals, was irresponsible and damaging to the medium because saying a game that looks amazing but doesn’t seem to have evolved beyond an arcade game from 1980 is the same as saying, ‘We don’t care about the play experience, we just care about visuals.’

“Do I think (and almost know for sure) that DICE is going to put out another amazing game in the series, regardless of how it looks? Of course they are. That was never my point. And I have no issues with mega hype that is based off amazing graphics and the trust that a great developer has so deservedly earned from its fans over the years.”

Jaffe was actually quite effusive in his praise for the game.

“I never said the game was not a dazzling beauty of a game that represents the current visual state of the art for games (because it does). And I never said the EA/DICE team members responsible for creating those amazing visuals (as well as the street battle visuals that I saw on the show floor) did not deserve all of the accolades I would hope they have been receiving (because they do). And I never said the game doesn’t deserve the hype that has come from the amazing visuals in that game (because it does).”

Although social media has granted developers greater accessibility to fan feedback, it has also increased the speed in which misinformation can spread, and Jaffe seemed quite rueful on the matter.

“You’d think when you’ve been taken out of context and out and out misquoted as much as I have, you’d learn to share nothing of yourself with the internet other than happy and positive and useless statements that have been processed and spit shined via the PR machines of the world. Alas, I’m either an idiot (likely) or just stubborn (for sure) cause I keep getting nailed by this stuff,” Jafe wrote.

“You’d think when you’ve been taken out of context and out and out misquoted as much as I have, you’d learn.”

“I’m hopeful that VG247 has a magic bit of web code that allows certain people’s reading comprehension to increase when they come to the site, cause lord knows, they missed the point when I was tweeting about it.”

Jaffe’s latest game, Twisted Metal, is a PlayStation 3 exclusive due in early October. Battlefield 3 drops on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 later in the month.

[image]

1. Aimless

He’s right, in isolation the tank footage was rather ho-hum. Pretty, sure, but not a very persuasive sequence for an E3 demonstration; poorly representing your games was all the rage this year, for some reason.

The real news here is that you’ve stopped using your traditional Jaffe photo. Clearly he has something on you.

2. Gigabomber

Pretty sorry he has to apologize for this like he is a politician. That footage was unimpressive and he didn’t even go as far to say that directly, just that he was waiting to see more, the same as every other gamer on the planet.

3. KAP

Like I say. Jaffe is the man.

4. dragonsight

people should know by now that when jaffe speaks, he does have an excellent and usually well thought out reason for doing so. he really does have a down to earth way of thinking about things.
    yes, vg247 does have advanced code. though, it seems to be ineffective on microsoft fanboys (it needs to be updated a little).

5. Espers

Don’t respond …Let the sales do the Job ^_^

6. Teabag

He has a point. In fact, he has a lot of good points. But why the rant? Share it with your friends within DICE, Jaffe. The world doesn’t need to know what you think of others games, especially when you pan it unnecessarily. Did DICE ever rant on your games?

What a useless waste of time and space.

7. Gekidami

Dont be such a pussy, Jaffe. MoH was a terrible, boring mess of a game, both its SP & MP. Give criticism where its due rather than bowing down to the DICE fanboys.
    But otherwise he’s right, that tank footage -besides looking good visually- was boring.

And EA have started to sent out BF3 beta codes for MoH owners? Wheres mine?!

8. Johnny Cullen

I disagree. I liked MoH’s single-player. It was a lot better than people slandered it for. I’ll give you MP, though. Was not a fan of it at all.

9. Erthazus

“But otherwise heā€™s right, that tank footage -besides looking good visually- was boring.”

was boring? I’m sorry… Casual gamer said something?

Tank footage was brilliant. It’s how tanks work together on the Battlefield and thats what is interesting, just not for the console fanbots that like to shoot something from on-rails.

I guess, you won’t even sit 5 minutes being a tank commander in Operation:Flashpoint 1 or ARMA 1-2 because you know what? You need to command your tank there with commands so it can move. Surprised? O:

10. UKTomm

I agree with Jaffe. All the fan boys need to calm down and stop the hate.

11. G1GAHURTZ

He was right!

He’s obviously backed down for political reasons…

12. LOLshock94

@9 your a twat

13. YoungZer0

@9: Lol, someone hurt your feelings. Of course you have to fight back and insult everybody. Like a child.

14. DSB

I love how Erthazus thinks he has a military education from playing ArmA :P

I guess that explains why he’s always embaressing himself by recounting those “facts”.

That being said, I think the tank sequence is great for an action piece. Playing tank simulators usually involves a lot of grief.