Report – EA overlooks Steam in Battlefield 3 purchase options

Sunday, 10th July 2011 23:56 GMT By Brenna Hillier

A redacted list of potential retailers for Battlefield 3 is said to have been missing one major player – Steam.

According to Joystiq, EA posted a list of digital retailers that would be carrying Battlefield 3 when it launches in October.

Although the link provided now produces an error, it is said to have mentioned Origin, Direct2Drive and Gamersgate among others, but not Steam.

If the omission is confirmed and stands, it won’t be entirely surprising – Steam has withdrawn a number of EA titles from its catalogue in response to a dispute over direct patching.

EA has said it hopes to resolve matters and continue offering product through Steam.

Thanks, GameInformer.

1. GwynbleiddiuM

So apparently we’re there… I now completely hate EA, this is how EA got from my numera uno publisher/developer company to the bottomless pit of hatred. If they fail to release BF3 on Steam, I will definitely boycott EA for the rest of my life. That’s goes without saying I wont even continue to purchase FIFA.

2. DarkElfa

I like how EA created the problem with direct patching with Steam and then pretends its all Steam’s fault their titles aren’t on there.

3. endgame

@1 oh ffs will u stop complaining already!? just buy a retail copy if u don’t like origin.

4. Aman27deep

@3 – #1 iz trollz.

5. Christopher Jack

@3, The retail copy may also be locked to the Origin platform just like many Steam games like Portal 2 & Dawn of War 2 are.

6. Erthazus

@1, relax. BF3 is too big to be missed on STEAM.

7. GwynbleiddiuM

Well in case you didn’t notice there are no fucking retails in my fucking country, digital and more specifically STEAM is my only option because every other service is restricted by region. So bite me, I’m no troll.

@Erthazus, man you know this is a sensitive matter for me, I cannot just ignore the possibilities.

8. endgame

@7 who says u should buy from your own ountry? every time I choose retail I’m getting stuff from abroad (mostly from amazon).

@5 no! that is the one and only most awesome part of origin. it’s relaxed. no EA game requires the program to be installed while u play it. even if u register your retail version on origin it still doesn’t have that requirement. I’ve done that with ME2 and I’m playing it as a non-steam game through Steam. that’s what I love about origin and hate about steam.

9. freedoms_stain

@8, I think out may be too early to make such assumptions. ME2 is a pre-origin title with no multiplayer, BF3 on the other hand may be to Origin what Half Life 2 was to Steam. I say this because of Origins “social” features which can’t be ruled out as potentially essential for playing with friends on future EA multiplayer titles. So we may be looking at a situation where they say “oh no no no, you don’t need to be running Origin to play our games, well yes if you want to play with friends you need to be running Origin”. Obviously not confirmed, but I’m calling possible if not likely.

10. Talkar

The same thing goes for Alice: Madness Returns. I can play that without Origin, but i purchased it on Origin. That title was launched after Origin was launched.

11. Lounds

EA using BF3 as a marketing tactic to get people to use their store. I imagin EA will eventually buy all the other online digital retailers to make one massive store to compete with Steam, eitherway steam is the king of sales, I imagin they sell way more than high street retailers.

12. GwynbleiddiuM

@8 Dude! do you have any clue where Iran is? do you know that those things wont be shipped here unless you’re willing to pay a 60 dollars game more than twice of it’s original price? do you know that how long would it take? do you have any idea what fucked up means? you are more than welcome to come here and find out.

13. Grimrita

Man, EA are very clever. Firstly by blaming Steam for the removal of their games, but hey, if you include another DD service within the games code, of course someone is going to be pissed.

Its like Microsoft having itunes built in, wont happen!

PC gamers have become used to having (almost) one place to purchase, play and interact when playing their games. And no I will have to install EA’s shitty software to play 1 (maybe 2) of their games?

Lets face it, the thing will suck – just look at the EA Download Manager. And lets not forget, if/when you create an EA account for BF, you will automatically create an account for Origin.

But I dont think hardly anyone else will follow EAs footsteps as they havent really got the money to do something like this. Lets hope not. I hope EA can make it a success but by pissing off the gaming community whilst doing it? Havent they learnt ANYTHING these past few years?!

14. DSB

You mean that wasn’t perfectly obvious to begin with Grimrita?

I’m not about to get another primary client, just because EA starts pulling their games from other services. I’d be fine with using Origin like I do Impulse, for special sales, titles and old games, and I’d certainly consider using it, if they actually made it worth my while by giving me a good offer on their products, but right now that seems pretty far from what they want to do with it.

I strongly doubt they’re going to abandon the idea of including Origin with all their games, even though Steam already allows them to post updates in close to real time, and ditto Impulse. It seems they’re going to be aggressively digging some ditches, and the prices aren’t going anywhere but up. So it looks like I might be stuck on Steam playing MW3. Poor me!

Did the original list include Impulse, by the by? Since all of those digital retailers have blocked games that included Steam in the past, it seems slightly conspicuous that a publisher’s proprietary client is somehow more attractive.

15. Grimrita

Retailers only blocked Steam because its the major player. Its not Valves fault that they were the only ones who dedicated time and effort into creating a space for the pc gamer.

Now EA want to copy that with their effort. Only time will tell, but EA have already gotten dirty in their tactics.