Alan Wake PC cancellation decision not made by Remedy

Friday, 4 March 2011 09:48 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Remedy’s said the decision to cancel the PC version of Alan Wake did not come from them.

“I can’t really discuss that,” Remedy’s Markus Maki told CVG at GDC when asked why it was canned on PC. “I will say that it wasn’t a technological call. And it wasn’t made in Finland.”

Last year’s announcement of its cancellation at X10 left the PC hardcore dismayed, but the studio’s head of franchise bushed it off at the time, saying at the time it made “more sense” to focus on one SKU.

“Frankly, we’re a small studio. We’re 50 people, and being a small studio, it makes a lot more sense for us to focus on one platform,” Oskari Hakkinen told VG247 last April before the game’s release. “Currently we’re fully focused on the Xbox version, and [as for] what the future holds, we haven’t got anything to announce, and we haven’t thought that far right now.”

After the release of the game on 360 last May, Remedy released two DLC episodes for the game. It’s releasing an iOS remake of its first PC title Death Rally later this month. Alan Wake 2 is speculated to be in development.