Alan Wake PC cancellation decision not made by Remedy

Friday, 4th March 2011 09:48 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Remedy’s said the decision to cancel the PC version of Alan Wake did not come from them.

“I can’t really discuss that,” Remedy’s Markus Maki told CVG at GDC when asked why it was canned on PC. “I will say that it wasn’t a technological call. And it wasn’t made in Finland.”

Last year’s announcement of its cancellation at X10 left the PC hardcore dismayed, but the studio’s head of franchise bushed it off at the time, saying at the time it made “more sense” to focus on one SKU.

“Frankly, we’re a small studio. We’re 50 people, and being a small studio, it makes a lot more sense for us to focus on one platform,” Oskari Hakkinen told VG247 last April before the game’s release. “Currently we’re fully focused on the Xbox version, and [as for] what the future holds, we haven’t got anything to announce, and we haven’t thought that far right now.”

After the release of the game on 360 last May, Remedy released two DLC episodes for the game. It’s releasing an iOS remake of its first PC title Death Rally later this month. Alan Wake 2 is speculated to be in development.

1. Ge0force

So Microsoft was in desperate need for x360 exclusives, we could have guessed that one. But still it was a lame decision, since the game was announced with pc as leading platform.

2. Maximum Payne

Do we really give a fuck for Alan Wake now? Or they are making game that is coming on PC so now talk like they love PC people.

3. Quiiick

Finally finished Alan Wake two weeks ago and I must say: This is by far the best game from 2010 (haven’t yet played “Red Dead Redemption” though).

It’s the only 360 exclusive I wish was available for the PS3 as well. I think it would even have sold better on PS3.

4. Blerk

It might’ve sold better on the 360 if Microsoft had actually bothered to market it.

5. Maximum Payne

@3 Well not necesarally http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=silent+hill+homecoming&publisher=&console=&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total

6. Old MacDonald

Not surprising at all. Frankly it was a big mistake that they talked as if it was their call back then, they got lots of negative attention that they really didn’t need.

7. Ge0force

@5 Silent Hill Comecoming wasn’t a good game. Your comparison only prooves that ps3-owners read more reviews :)

Heavy Rain sold over 1.6 million on ps3, Alan Wake could have done the same.

8. Gekidami

^ Those SH figures dont include Japan, and VG Charts isnt very reliable eitherway, more so for software where numbers arent always officially announced.

BTW, durring Heavy Rains ‘Post Mortem’ David Cage apparently said that its reached 2 million now.

But with HR being a real ‘niche title’, and Alan Wake being a sub-par, standard survival horror game, they arent really comparable. What is clear though is that releasing single player games only on 360 isnt the brightest of ideas.

9. Blerk

Bioshock says hi!

10. itsucks

@Geekidami: not only you didn’t even play the game you even like custecenfest… what a joke. Alan Wake is pretty much the sequel to max payne in a different coat. Survival horror it is not. Better than some sub-par QTE fest with a horrible script and fish mouth acting. You can stick your mediocre mcguffins’ in your ass, pretentious cage.

11. Shonak

Alan Wake actually got a pretty nice marketing campagain with an own short live action series, which I think was really good. But it didnt have a general big marketing push by MS like ads, lot of trailers etc. Its kinda sad, because I think too that it was the best game of the last year, mostly because of its new way of storytelling, brilliant atmosphere and great dialogue lines as well as solid plot.

Also Alan Wake got downloaded more than it was sold as far as I know. At least according to TorrentFreak Alan Wake was the most pirated title after Dante’s Inferno. And it was downloaded over 1 million times. So people knew about it and they wanted to play it. May was just a month that had waaay too many titles, first of all of course RDR, and also the months before had real topsellers too.

12. Gadzooks!

“What is clear though is that releasing single player games only on 360 isnt the brightest of ideas.”

What an absolutely rediculous thing to say. Here’s a small sample proving what bollocks that statement is.

Fable 2. Single player. 4 Million sales.
    Assasins Creed 2. Single player. 4.5 Million sales.
    Batman:AA. Single Player. 2 Million Sales.
    Oblivion. Single Player. 3.4 Million Sales.
    Fallout 3. Single Player. 3.5 Million Sales.

Make a good game and market it well and it will sell, period. Alan Wake was a bloody superb game. Beautiful looking with some of the best atmosphere in any game, but it got sod all marketing.

13. mathare92

RDR killed Alan Wake, if you asks me. ;)

14. strikkebil

awfull game. theyre better off.

15. Kerplunk

@12 You appear to have overlooked the “only on 360″ aspect of the statement you’re so keen to refute. I’ve seen you do that a lot in your rush to counter any negative 360 commentary. You insisted I never played any Halo game because I had the nerve to dislike it as a result and then told me to fuck off when I last reminded you of your own responses.

You do realise that sort of outward image that behaviour conveys to other people, right? :)

16. _LarZen_

@13 Played both games and they are nothing alike…loved both games.

17. freedoms_stain

I don’t think the Alan Wake that was released would have sold on PC anyway.

The Alan Wake game that was released was almost completely redesigned from it’s initial sandbox free-roaming investigative thriller we were teased 5-3 years ago. Microsoft had the project transformed into a linear corridor shooter in the woods. They just replaced the walls with trees and rocks.

I found the game incredibly underwhelming after what had been promised and hyped up came out like that.

18. Gadzooks!

Oh boo-hoo, oh boo-hoo-hoo. Does diddums have hurt feelings? Does diddums want his blankie?

Also, what the hell does the ‘only’ portion have to do with anything? Single player games sell on the 360 and the implication was that they dont. Whether they are exclusive or not is totally irrelevant.

Fable 2 still stands anyway. Single player, exclusive, 4 Million sales.
    Also:
    Viva Pinata 1.6 mil
    Dead Rising 1.4 mil

We could move on to XBLA titles, many of which are single player and exclusive and outsell quite a lot of retail titles.

19. Kerplunk

Yeah. Um. Sorry guy, my feelings weren’t hurt. On the contrary, you’ve just gone and shown what a knee-jerk reactionary and immature commenter you are. I guess overlooking details raised by the (other) people you are arguing with in order to continue your rather obvious crusade is just a matter of habit to you. If those details don’t work in your favour, just pretend they never existed!

Go get ‘em tiger! :D

20. DaMan

both HR and AW are niche games (and both ‘re tasteless crap at that, but I digress),
    how does HR stand out any more than Remedy’s game, when it’s another Fahrenheit?

21. TheWulf

And suddenly, seeing the success of Valve and how a number of cross-platform PC games have outsold other platforms, everyone wants a piece of the PC pie.

We are amused.

22. Gadzooks!

Oh my, you really are a smug cunt arent you? Do you love the smell of your own farts and drive a Prius?

Do you have anything to say perhaps on the matter of Alan Wake or sales of exclusives? You know, the forum topic?

No, didnt think so. Facts would be too tangible for you to use in your little word games wouldnt they?

Fucking amatuer forum psychologists are as bad as trolls, I swear. Anything but the topic.

23. KL

@19 is he owned,served or both? :)

24. Kerplunk

@22 Well, you certainly showed me. After I implied you were an immature and knee-jerk reactionary your calm and thoughtful response countering my points with well-considered and rational counterpoints of your own have totally shown me to be way out of line with my original assessment.

I have an opinion on Alan Wake and sales of exlusives, yes. But I don’t think you’re worthy of my opinion on that. Better luck next time. :)

25. spiderLAW

@Kerplunk
    Its a nowhere road. Really. You shouldnt waste your time

26. StolenGlory

“I have an opinion on Alan Wake and sales of exlusives, yes. But I don’t think you’re worthy of my opinion on that.”

Seems like you’re in line with Gadzooks! ‘smug cunt’ assessment too :)

27. Kerplunk

Mmmmmyyyyeesssss. It does rather.

Pimms, anyone?

28. StolenGlory

Haha – brilliant!

+1.

29. spiderLAW

I had to google that. lol. Damn english!

30. Gadzooks!

You speak the very worst kind of vague non-commital horseshit. You talk and talk and talk and say nothing, like a hideous cross between middle management and politician.

Have an opinion and state it, or shut the fuck up you pathetic waste of forum space.

31. Kerplunk

@30 Thank you for your input. After due consideration I feel I must respond thus:

I trust you will find this agreeable and believe this concludes our business. Unfortunately, I will be away from my office now. If you have need for further communication, please direct it to my secretary.

Tally ho and chin chin,

Kerplunk (Mr.)

32. spiderLAW

hahaha

33. Stardog

I’m glad this game bombed spectacularly. They shouldn’t have abandoned the PC, and could’ve pushed harder for it regardless of what their publisher wanted, even if it ended up being a port made by 6 people.

34. DeathJynx

Kerplunk 1
    Gadzooks 0

Gadzooks, I believe you have rightfully lost the privilege to a counter opinion. “Only” is probably the only thing that matters for the sake of this arguement. Just remember the blind will never lead.

35. Gadzooks!

I’m still waiting for this oh so inciteful opinion on AW, sales, or something relevant. Posturing, waffle and what you pass for ‘humor’ is all I see.

You wont debate the facts because you know you have nothing to offer.

36. DeathJynx

I think that it was made clear you are not worthing, no? Well, I think historically, exclusive single player titles have been better received on the ps3 platform. They have plenty of proven titles to back up that statement. I think rather then we explain ourselves to you. You should at least try to disprove it first. Since you clearly insist on an uphill battle. Alan Wake would have done better on ps3 is a valid opinion. It is not as groundless as you seem to think.

37. YoungZer0

No hard feelings Remedy. It was a horrible game, with a boring story, even boringer (Yes, that’s a word now) characters, repetitive gameplay.

Hell i enjoyed Alone in the Dark 5: Inferno way more than that game, the free roaming is an important part of that. And it’s still buggy as hell.

I just wish Alone in the Dark 5 and Alan Wake would make a baby.