Reeves: GTA III PS2 exclusivity deal was “remarkably cheap”

Thursday, 25th November 2010 17:10 GMT By Johnny Cullen

gtaiii

Define “cheap”.

Ex-SCEE boss David Reeves has told Eurogamer the exclusivity deal for Grand Theft Auto III on PlayStation 2 was “remarkably cheap”.

A deal was sorted at a private showcase between Reeves, SCEE founder Chris Deering and third-party publishers in LA.

“The last meeting of the day was with Kelly Sumner [ex-Take Two boss],” said Deering.

“We picked up something called State of Emergency, which I don’t think would have been on Xbox anyway. Then I said, ‘What else have you got?’

“And they said, ‘Well, we’ve got this Grand Theft Auto game… I suppose we could do a deal on that.’

“Our technical people had said GTA III was not bad. It was innovative, but not a monster. I had just heard it was good. So I said, ‘OK.”

Reeves says the deal wasn’t done in a formal matter, but with beers instead.

No exact details were given on the deal.

Grand Theft Auto III turned out to be the big push for the GTA series, and one of the defining titles for PS2, which turned ten in Europe yesterday.

1. Quiiick

$ 10’000’000

2. G1GAHURTZ

A middle aged hooker and 2 grams of coke?

3. JimFear666

Sony was once able to secure exclusive game…. Time has changed …

4. Gekidami

Funnily enought the SNES turned 20 yesterday since its Japanese release to.

5. Erthazus

Actually they are doing really fine with 3rd party exclusives.

+2nd party

6. Psychotech

@3 not exactly,they were cheap back then to secure an exclusive as they’re cheap now.They chip in on 1st and 2nd dev teams though thats why there’s quite a selection of Sony exclusives especially this gen.
    It’s a risk to secure a 3rd party exclusive as it will most probably end up timed exclusive

7. cookiejar

‘We got this Grand Theft Auto game…’

Just wow.

8. David Sarkisjan

What the hell is State of Emergency?

9. KrazyKraut

“was good, but not a monster”…lolz…I think they played too much PC in those days

10. Kuwabara

JIMFEAR666 UR A DUMB SHIT. i seriously hope ur not a xbox gamer.

11. onlineatron

It was a kinda crappy 3rd person brawler. I’m pretty sure it was on xbox as well.

12. No_PUDding

Proof: Throwing money about aimlessly has always worked.

13. The_Deleted

VG247: The Cutting Edge of gaming news.

;)

14. Gekidami

I bet Sony had to pay for the beer though.

15. Erthazus

and AGENT PS3 exclusivity deal was even more “remarkably cheap”. Just “Sucky-sucky 5 bucks”

16. LePlatypus

@15 Sucky Sucky Five dorrar?

17. Gekidami

Are we back on ‘War Face’ again? :D

18. No_PUDding

I am excited about Agent, yes please, I am. But I am excited about L.A.Noire. More. Than the other one.

19. cookiejar

@14 Nah they were like ‘oh you know what, I’ve let my wallet at home hah! so yeah, can you get these?’

20. Kuwabara

cant wait for agent. I hope it has a 70s soundtrack equivalent to whats in gta.

21. chronoss2

this shows that gaming was better 10 years ago

22. g00nerz

Interesting. If I remember correctly, state of emergency came our after gta3 and all things considered it was a steaming pile of dog turd. Which means at some point Sony must have realised how shit it was and put the release of it back in the hope that their biggie gt3 would help sell a few copies. It all makes sense now.

23. guccishoes

The cheap gucci belts curve gucci sneakers for cheap is the only stable women gucci sneakers mens gucci sneakers equilibrium louis vuitton belts bodys needed gucci clothing for men in the gucci shoes middle cheap gucci sunglasses of leg. Basic gucci belts for men principles gucci jeans of mens gucci shoes Pilates gucci heels for women phones, Dolce & Gabbana sneakers skills gucci wallets for men for gucci sneakers creating gucci caps quads gucci scarves and upper cheap gucci shoes abdominal muscles, gucci moccasins so your website and women gucci sandals how to perform replica gucci sunglass them gucci shoes on sale is always present in cheap gucci shoes for men the mountains. These shoes are designed for walking anyones best shoes you can buy. MBT Changa say warnings health.They these problems because of the negative effects of traditional shoes should be our ideal for people who depend too much time on their feet.