Treyarch: There’s “definitely” some controversial topics covered in Black Ops

Thursday, 23rd September 2010 18:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

blackops

Treyarch’s Mark Lamia has said there’s “definitely” some controversial topics covered in Call of Duty: Black Ops, considering it takes place during the Cold War era.

“We’re not doing a historical recreation”

Speaking with MCV, Lamia said the game is still fiction though, and weaves itself in and out of different historical time periods, not just one set timeline, and plenty of variety.

“We cover the Cold War era and there are definitely some controversial topics in there,” he said. “But I look at it as creating a piece of entertainment and we are strong advocates of creative freedom.

“Our game is entirely fiction-based – we’re not doing a historical recreation. We do our research and create that setting so you can immerse yourself in it but that’s just a backdrop for our narrative.”

Lamia feels the controversy surrounding shooters based around military combat is “unfair”, like with Modern Warfare 2 and recently with Medal of Honor, because the games touch upon occurrences no differently than books or film.

Singling out games is unfair

“Our story weaves itself around all kinds of controversial historical periods, but there have been many books and movies that do that, so to single out games in that way seems unfair,” he explained.

“We’ve delved pretty deeply into the histories of different conflicts that have occurred. Because this game is about black ops, it’s about what occurred behind the Cold War.

“So while our story weaves its way through the South East Asia and Vietnam conflict, it’s not a game about the Vietnam War. You just happen to be there when certain things occur during that period.”

Call of Duty: Black Ops is out November 9 for PC, PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360.

1. Hunam

AKA: Please stop talking about Medal of Honor(sic) and talk about us please!!!

2. mattrobbo670

so will there be an iranian embassy level?

3. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Ummm…it’s a war game. YA THINK?!?!

4. Dannybuoy

Black Ops. How racalist is that!

5. OlderGamer

Lame. I mean lets not worry about putting great gameplay in there. We don’t actualy need a great game. It just has to be talked about on Fox News.

We are controversial, really. No really.

Talk.

Please.

6. jeremycafe

OlderGamer, do you love to complain? As much as I hate Treyarch for the poor past performance, the gameplay videos of multiplayer look promising. How is making a statement like this stating they are not working to make great gameplay? Should Lamia have ignored the question and talked about a completely different topic? What would be the point of interviews?

Come on now, be a bit selective on a hate at least.

7. OlderGamer

Right.

Sorry didn’t see the sign.

Next time I will bring flowers, candy, and my 60usd.

8. Erthazus

“the gameplay videos of multiplayer look promising”

Brainwashed a little bit by promotional trailers?

Here you go.

9. stretch215

@ 8 So now liking a game means someone is brainwashed. Grow up you idiot.

10. RickyWicky

Frankly, I’m looking forward to Black Ops. But I doubt that their co-op segment is going to be very surprising. I bet they’re really just going to mimic MW2′s “Special Ops”, which was quite fun, actually.

11. OlderGamer

The thing is, people can call it like they see when it comes to games. Be it positive or negitive. That is the beauty of this site.

12. DSB

I’ve gone from excited to on the fence about Black Ops. The more I see of Treyarchs antiquated way of doing things, the less I believe they’ve really sharpened up.

I think the whole race to label your game controversial is pathetic, though. Whether it’s God of War including a sexgame in name only, or Modern Warfare 2 making you gun down civilians, without any kids in the airport, and with no real value to the plot.

I don’t consider gimmicks like that controversial, I just consider them tailored to generate some cheap PR, without ever crossing any real boundaries. To be controversial you’d have to go a lot further and be a lot more focused than that. Regardless, they should be selling it on content, not stupid gimmicks.

13. EscoBlades

*yawn* Who gives a tiny rat’s ass?

14. OlderGamer

@DSB

Agreed, well said.

That is exactly what I was getting at with my post at #5.

15. stretch215

@11 I agree 100%. That’s why I find it completely idiotic and quite naive for Erthwhatever to label the other guy as “brainwashed” because of his opinion of a game. By that logic anyone who’s ever been excited after watching a game trailer has been “brainwashed”. Totally wrong

16. Erthazus

@9 Nothing wrong in liking the game if he actually like it. Game didn’t came out. It’s too early to judge. But to judge by SUPER Orchestral trailers is just too childish.

@DSB, as much as we fight over something as always :D that was a great post.

17. stretch215

@16 but we have seen actual gameplay footage not just trailers. Imo plenty to form an early opinion. He didn’t say that the game is awesome, he said it looks promising. Meaning it looks good so far, basically.

18. hitnrun

If you have to tell us how controversial it is…

19. Bremenacht

You get to put cats in bins!

BUY! BUY! BUY!