Alan Wake DLC Pack 3 hitting later this year

Thursday, 3rd June 2010 00:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

alanwake

Remedy’s Matias Myllyrinne has said that along with “The Signal” and “The Writer”, a third DLC pack for Alan Wake is expected to be released this year.

Speaking with MTV, Myllyrinne wouldn’t discuss the pack any further, but did give the site loads of information on The Signal, which is expected to hit XBL on July 27.

Read no further if you have yet to play the game and wish to remain pure and unspoiled.

Apparently, The Signal takes place after the events in the game, and the strange world the writer is in at the end “won’t be grounded in the realm that we inhabit right now”.

Basically, say so long to the “reality” of Bright Falls.

“We have a nifty way of moving [the story] forward and materializing that into gameplay and storytelling without going into a mode of weirdness,” said Myllyrinne.

“For a thriller to work you need it to be grounded in reality. Otherwise all bets are off because the rules don’t really apply.

“So we wanted to have it kind of grounded in reality but also to take a more twisted take, because this is an extreme place and position he finds himself in.”

Myllyrinne goes on to confirm that The Signal will have “real-looking environments, but there’s something off” about them.

Shivers.

Hit the link for the rest.

1. AHA-Lambda

what? Was the 2nd pack even announecd officially yet? O_o

PS It’s all well and good supporting a game with dlc (especially worthwhile dlc i might add) but when you have a game like alan wake where the story was left effectively unfinished and then continue it by charging £7 a time for another wee bit that is just plain milking.

Whether or not it is intentional to leave content out for this is another debate but in my mind its similar to the epilogue dlc for POP 08 (which in all fairness was the worst dlc i’ve ever played aswell >_>)

2. Phoenixblight

I never played Alan Wake so I am not sure about the story I do plan on getting it eventually.Not too sure about a “horror” game being Teen. But I found to be scary in Silent Hill 2 was that you didn’t know what the hell was going on other than Silent Hill somehow summons supernatural beings to judge “sinners”

Again Not sure about Alan Wake if this is what is going on in the game or they do explain it and purposely leave it open. If it is where the source of the shadow creatures are unknown and they are putting out DLC I wouldn’t find it offensive if its known but not finished then yeah I would be pretty pissed.

3. DJ Deathstar

Its a Teen rated game because it isn’t really a horror, more of a thriller.

SPOILERS

I wouldn’t say that the story ends unfinished in this game as the main storyline in it was to save Alice and you do that, obviously they can’t answer everything in that ending as they are planning to make a sequel and if they answered everything it would make it redundant. I think the DLC will just sort of guide the story a little bit towards the sequel and they first DLC is free anyways. Not all the DLC is definately going to take place after the main game though as Remedy said
    “The game add-ons aren’t telling more of the story, so to speak,” he continued. “It’ll give you a different perspective on the things you’ve done on season one and then trying to set you up for the possible things you’re going to do in season two.”

So maybe only the free DLC will really take the main story further?

4. adam13

agree with 3..it wouldn’t make sense to end everything in the first game espechilly if your planning a sequal. i felt that the end was pretty satisfying and hope to see more in the future!

5. OlderGamer

SP DLC seems a hard sell to be honest. Unless your selling your game in full downloadable episodes. It would be much better both qualitywise as well as quanitywise to continue the story in a full fledge sequel.

6. Hunam

The problem with single player DLC is that no one really knows how to make it work properly. I mean you pay £18 for a game and get 10 hours (easy math being £1.80 per hour) then ask 800 points (£6.80) for about a hour and a half to two hours of game really doesn’t work out to a rate the customer is going to be happy about.

MP DLC is obviously a milage may vary situation.

7. Dralen

My only problem with it, was it was way too short. I wanted alot more out of my £40 than I got. And considering how much development time they had, I was expecting alot more than 7 hours out of it.

8. DJ Deathstar

Woah 7 hours did you just completely rush through the game? My first run was at least 12 hours

9. Dralen

No…just played it without really stopping lol. Completed it the day I got it. :P

10. OlderGamer

Thats often one of the downsides to games like this. They are short. Even at 12hrs, still short. It is also why so many games have MP Online tacked on. It adds precieved value.

11. AHA-Lambda