2K: BioShock 2 DLC already on the disc to keep audience together

Friday, 12th March 2010 19:27 GMT By Patrick Garratt

bioshock27

2K has confirmed that yesterday’s BioShock 2 DLC is indeed just an unlock for content already held on the game’s disc, saying the content’s being delivered this way in order to not “split the player-base”.

The 2K community noticed earlier that the file sizes for yesterday’s Sinclair Solutions Tester Pack fact were only 24k on the PC version and 108k on the 360 version, leading the the assumption it was just an unlock for content that’s already there.

2K has posted the following on its forums:

The way our engine and game structure works is that people need to have the exact same content for people to play together. One of the challenges with post launch content for MP is that it can split the player base, and we want to avoid that whenever possible. For this content, creating the DLC package the way we did allowed for us to not split the player base – so whether you purchase the new content or not, you can still play with your friends.

I know some of you have strong beliefs about DLC, and I’m not here to sway your opinion or convince you to buy our stuff – if you like what we’re offering, I hope you get it and enjoy it. If it’s not your speed, enjoy BioShock 2 as we released it.

I want to let you know that DLC is not interfering with our patching capabilities, which are a top priority and are still being actively worked on. We’re committed to supporting you and making BioShock 2 the best experience possible.

The content costs 400 MSP to unlock.

The pack includes:

• Rank increase to level 50 with Rank Rewards
  • New playable characters – Louie McGraff and Oscar Calraca
  • 20 new trials (available for rank 41 or higher)
  • A third weapon upgrade for each weapon
  • Five additional masks (available for rank 41 or higher)

1. theevilaires

Bullshit response of the week.

2. _S_E_R_G_

lol’d

“downloadable” content locked on the disc.

that’s why I hate console gaming.

3. Hunam

They should have made it free. I mean, having the first DLC free keeps the disc in players hands and out of trade ins. Charging for this DLC was a mistake.

4. DJ Deathstar

5. ianbenoir

2k!!! I HAVE AN IDEA / SUGESTION!!!!!!

next time try locking the content of the end of the game, And when we get there we will have to buy the endind part! I bet no one will frustrated or disappointed!!

Cool idea Huh? Easy money for you guys!
    If u decide to use it, remember my share.

Oh i love your company so much more now!
    *sarcastic!

6. OlderGamer

I think this happens all of the time.

And yes pure BS.

7. Hunam

“Couldn’t it just have been people who didn’t download it had a patch that allowed them to play with those that do download. Biggest load of shit since the RE5 multiplayer was just an unlock!”

That isn’t really possible on 360 (unless you are a special case i.e. EA) as the patch limit is like 4 or 10 meg or something.

8. Flacc

This sort of shit should be illegal, especially when they brand it as “DLC” when there is now download to it, and this proves that the content for the DLC was made before the disc lock just to milk people.

Shady as fuck, they should be ashamed of themselves.

9. OlderGamer

Wait till they sell you a gimped demo for 20usd or 30usd, and then sell you the rest as episodic DLC.

That will be fun.

10. theevilaires

For the people who haven’t bought it yet you now have a reason to wait until it drops to $40 or $30. DO NOT SUPPORT MOTHER FUCKERS LIKE THESE PEOPLE. AIRES HAS SPOKEN!

11. S0meRand0mN00b

BULL SHIT is what i thought. FUCK YOU 2k

12. Erthazus

O’rly? So you are just saying: Dear consumer we fucked your ass with the nice 2K dildo. Thank you very much dear consumer.

2K i won’t support you.

13. David

And yet they have not patched the problem that fundamentally makes it impossible to have a good on-line session with it.

I’m lucky to get 4 games in before it freezes up on me.

14. Gekidami

Its never frozen on me but the lag is insane, or atleast was last time i played.
    In the end though the game itself is just crappy to play online. I like their CoD’esque ranking up and challenge system but its just boring to play. Also that research system its got ruins it even more imo.

15. Goliath

@ theevilaires

You are one drama queenesque dude.

16. k1ng617

Wow F’n BS just milk peoples money more please. I think many people have been under the assumption that producers held back on a disc just so they could sell it later as DLC and here is all the proof i need.

17. Dralen

When I read the title, I thought okaaaaay, I can live with that as long as I’m not paying for it. Oh fucking dear, 2K you are a bunch of idiots. I will not be paying for this DLC, if you can even call it that.

18. Keivz

Makes sense. I mean really, they could have just told you they were making DLC, left it off the disc and sold it later when they had already completed it at launch and no one would be the wiser. Leaving it on the disc and selling it later is insulting only if you don’t think about it all the way through. I also prefer not splitting the platform base. This is (and probably should be) the way DLC is done from here on out. GET USED TO IT!