Miyamoto: “I’ve always wanted to make a multiplayer Mario”

Wednesday, 25th November 2009 08:31 GMT By Patrick Garratt

nsmbw2

Miyamoto’s always dreamt of making a team-play Mario game, he’s confesses in the latest Iwata Asks. He’s talking about New Super Mario Bros. Wii, obviously.

“I’ve always wanted to make a multiplayer Mario,” said the Nintendo dev boss. “It’s been my dream for many years. I really feel that this time, we’ve pulled it off.”

Miyamoto added that adding more players to the overall experience presents a general problem in that you can’t just send everyone back to a checkpoint when someone dies.

“That’s why I think we’ve come up with a well-balanced game that comes somewhere in between watching the Super Guide and then clearing the level yourself and getting the Super Guide to clear the level for you,” he said.

“That’s why I hope that a wide range of users will be able to enjoy the game in a wide variety of different ways.”

Shame you couldn’t have put the bloody thing online, right?

Hit the link for the full thing.

1. mescalineeyes

trust me, you wouldn’t want this online. the smallest amount of lag would kill you.

2. OlderGamer

Right. But one hella good time couch co-op. I mean amazing. Got this for my wifes b-day. She played a good four hours last night. This game blew our minds with how fun it is. Made us remember how fun games should be. Very nice counter point to the tide of shooters out there. Just a side note beyond Smash bros, Zelda, and Metriod that we baought for the kids … this is the only retail boxed Wii game we own. And the only one we bought for us(adults) to play. All we can say is want more. Where are the 2D Zelda/Metriod games?

3. Michael O’Connor

“Where are the 2D Zelda/Metriod games?”

On the DS.

4. Blerk

There isn’t a 2D Metroid on the DS. I’d really like one, though. And a Zelda DS that didn’t completely suck.

5. OlderGamer

I have been thinking for awhile now that handhelds are what has held the Japanese gaming community back this gen.We own a DS and PSP, but rarely play em. Even the kids won’t touch em unless its a two hour car trip.

2D Metriod and 2D Zelda would be killer apps for the Wii. And I mean it fellas NSMBWiis is amazing fun.