They might be the world’s greatest heroes, but that doesn’t mean they can’t get even better. Throughout your time with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, you’ll be able to upgrade your favourite heroes’ abilities to take on even the strongest of intergalactic baddies.
But to do that, you’re going to need the right materials. Most skill upgrades require Ability Orbs, which can be found hidden around the environments that you visit.
In the Team menu, you can then increase the power of your skills, make them more efficient, or broaden their area-of-effect.
Here’s everywhere we’ve found Ability Orbs in the game so far.
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 Ability Orbs
You main source of Ability Orbs in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is Infinity Trials. These are separate from the main story, but the items you collect there transfer over to your story mode.
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 Infinity Trials
Infinity Trials task you with things like defeating bosses under certain conditions, or surviving against waves of powerful enemies.
After each one, you’ll earn a rank and a star rating. Your start rating determines the amount of item rewards you get, which are often Ability Orbs.
This is how you get the largest quantity of Ability Orbs during the early game, but you can also collect extra costumes for your heroes, as well as whole new playable characters.
To unlock new Infinity Trials, you need to complete the ones adjacent to it on the grid. Each one has a level that determines its difficulty, so they’re also a good way to level up your heroes to earn AP.
Additional Ability Orb locations
You can also find single Ability Orbs in hidden locations throughout the game, as well as earn them from story boss battles.
Here’s a spoiler warning for the names and order of boss battles, as well as situations that arise.
- During the first Guardians of the Galaxy mission, look for a breakable wall when you teleport to the prison. Break the box inside for an orb
- Later on The Raft when make your way towards the prison control tower there’s another box at the far end of the first security gate puzzle you encounter
- Win the Miles Morales, Ms Marvel, Spider-Gwen battle
- Beat Mysterio
- On your way to Shadowland, there’s a metal fence that you need two slam heroes to break in the second batch of searchlights you encounter. Inside the box is an orb
- Beat Elektra
- Beat first Ultron battle
- Beat Ultimo
- After you’ve been chased by Juggernaut at the Xavier Institute, you’ll need Barrage and Rapid-Fire abilities to break the box on a staircase
- Beat Magneto
- Beat the Dr Strange boss
- After you’ve met up with Dr Strange, there’ll be another enclosed box on the right-hand side on an area – you need Barrage and Rapid-Fire to break it
- Beat the Loki boss
- In the Wakandan jungle when you first get attacked by turrets, jump up onto the ledge on the right and destroy the box there
- Beat Klaw
- Defeat possessed Wakanda elite guards
- When you enter Wakanda Necropolis, go down right-hand side-path just as you meet the first wave of enemies
- In Hel, bear left in the second enemy area, jump up to the ledge and you’ll see a breakable box
- In Hela’s palace you’ll enter a side-scrolling room with two levels, there’s a breakable box on low path
- Beat Sutur
- When you enter the Asgard palace via the alternate entrance, there’s a secret door behind you next to the shield point – You need a Defence and a Charge character
- In palace storeroom after you release and fight with loki – jump onto the high boxes
- Beat red skull
- Beat Ebony Maw
- Beat Supergiant
- There are two boxes on both sides of the room before the elevator after the Supergiant boss fight
- Beat Cull Obsidian
- Beat Corvus Glaive
- Beat Thanos
- Beat Thane
We’ll add more to the list as we find them.
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 Void Sphere
Also around the environments, you’ll find another type of items – Void Spheres. Here’s everywhere we’ve found them so far:
- In a box in the security gate puzzle after you meet Luke Cage
- Beat Doctor Octopus
- Just after Jessica Jones gets you into Shadowland, you’ll come to a fork where you can go across a bridge to the left or to a raked garden in front of you. In the raked garden there’s a box with a Void Sphere inside and an Infinity Rift
- After you’ve beaten Bullseye and gone through the side-scrolling corridor, you’ll come to an elevator. On the far side there’s a breakable wall with an item box behind it. You need a barrage and a shock hero
- Defeat the Ultron Sentries with the Wasp
- Break the chest in the top right of the Team Training room at Avengers Tower after you’ve restored the terminals
- Save Xavier Institute from the first wave of Sentinels
- Complete level alpha in the Danger Room
- When you first enter the Dark Dimension, you’ll jump down a large cliff. Under the edge you’ll find a breakable box with a Void Sphere in
Again, we’ll add more as we find them.