Destiny players have noticed a bug that apparently reveals a stack of content coming in future expansions.
Destiny allows players to select their next location from a series of map screens, and it is here that some players have noticed some unusual content following this weekend’s patch.
The content is listed as “requirements not met” where the requirement is to own a particular expansion; this is very similar to how locked main game content appeared during the alpha and beta tests.
We haven’t seen the bug ourselves, but according to videos and screenshots of it in action, as collated by Redditor KilledByDice, upcoming expansions will add the following content:
- Strike [Level 10] – The Jovian Complex: A new Hive brood gathers it’s strength beneath the cosmodrome. Find their master and purge them all.
- Story Mission [Level 18] – The Veil Lifted: Root out the Hive beneath the Cosmodrome and discover a long-hidden secret of the Golden Age.
- Story Mission [Level 18] – The Seeding: Investigate the return of ancient Hive Wizards, preparing Earth for Crota’s reign.
- Story Mission [Level 20] – Gone to Ground: Find a Wolves baron and his conspirators who have betrayed the Queen and are hiding in the Cosmodrone.
- Strike [Level 14] – The House of Wolves: No description
- Strike [Level 26] – The Summoning Pits: Xyor, the Unwed awaits your arrival at the bottom of the Hellmouth (part of an exotic bounty not new expansion content. Thanks to /u/The7ruth)
- Raid [Level 28] – Crota’s End: He waits in the dark below
- Story Mission [Level 20] – The Wakening: Stop the Hive from summoning Crota and consuming our worlds.
- Story Mission [Level 20] – Wolves’ Harvest: Track down the Queen’s traitorous Wolves and recover what they’ve stolen from the Awoken.
- Story Mission [Level 22] – The Citadel: Ascend to the top of the Vex stronghold on Venus and assassinate the Wolves’ Kell
- Strike [Level 20] – The Hypogeum: The resurrection of the Black Garden has begun. Stop the Vex before the Garden’s heart beats again.
- Raid [Level 28] – Reef Raid: No Description
- Skirmish – Only the worthy may face the Trials of Osiris for only the worthy are strong enough to endure what is to come. A string of victories will earn you great rewards – but lose three times and you’re out.
– 3v3 Team Deathmatch
– Level Advantages Enabled
– Weekly Rewards
– Trial Set Gear
– Ascendant Materials
– Crucible Marks
Although screenshots and text descriptions could be faked, multiple players have uploaded videos of the bug in action, which is much harder. Below you’ll find examples from Scott M and Kinsey_92.
Also adding to the bug’s credibility is the fact that all of these pieces of content have been listed by DestinyTracker, a site that datamines Destiny, among other services.
You can also catch references to many of these events and locations if you explore Destiny thoroughly; the Jovian Complex, for example, is under the Hive Seeder just by the infamous loot cave in Skywatch on Earth.
The bug has caused some dissent among fans who believe it reveals expansion content contained on disc, although it should be noted that the bug only came to light this weekend, after several patches had already hit the game. Moreover, including a framework in your shipped game for expansion content to hook into once downloaded is a perfectly sensible strategy for a game like Destiny, which is intended to last for years via expansion and add-on content, and certainly doesn’t mean the content is already in place on the core disc.
Images via Kotaku.