You probably won’t get to see Doom until 2015

Monday, 21 July 2014 05:51 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The new Doom was shown to QuakeCon audiences last week, but it doesn’t sound like anybody else is going to get a look this year.


Doom probably isn’t going to be shown to the public this year, reading between the lines of an interview with Bethesda boss Pete Hines.

The interview follows Doom’s first gameplay demo at QuakeCon 2014, confirming the project is an old-school shooter, and a reboot of the franchise.

Speaking to PCGamer, Hines said the demo wasn’t and won’t be broadcast to the public because it wasn’t a “formal announcement” – which won’t happen until the development team is ready.

“They’re like, ‘Look, we don’t want a stream to go up for a game that isn’t at the point where we would formally show it to the world, and now that thing is getting picked apart, and digested, and gone through frame-by-frame and getting nitpicked to death, when normally we wouldn’t be showing this to anybody at all,’” he explained, saying he didn’t want to “deal with the repercussions” of that.

So no, the demo isn’t likely to be released for you to watch. “I don’t think there’s any way that happens,” Hines said.

As for why the demo was shown at all if the team isn’t ready, Hines said Bethesda brought the sneak peek to QuakeCon rather than go another year without showing off what id Software is doing to its greatest and most loyal fans.

“We wanted to show something that gives them the confidence that it is still a viable studio that’s doing really cool stuff, that is making a game you want to play, and is treating Doom with the care and respect that you want,” he said.

Hines said that “next year is normally when” he thinks Bethesda would begin showing the game, so it’s unlikely a reveal will happen before 2015.

So much for gamescom. Unless we get a leak, I guess we’ll see the new Doom at E3 2015.

Thanks, CVG.