Destiny on PC is a heavy point of discussion at Activision

Saturday, 14th June 2014 17:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Destiny may not be hitting PC at launch, but Activision is still discussing the possibility, according to publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg.

destiny_17

Speaking with Polygon during E3 2014 this week, Hirshberg said while there wasn’t anything to announce regarding a PC version at this time, the Bungie shooter would be a natural fit on PC.

“It is [a good fit], and it’s something we’re talking about and looking at very carefully, and obviously it makes a lot of sense with the genre and the type of game it is,” he said. “No announcements, but it’s something that’s a heavy point of discussion.”

Hirshberg offered that since the game is already releasing on four platforms, a fifth would put too much on the developer’s plate.

His comment reflects those made by Bungie senior writer and community manager Eric Osborne’s back in November, when he said the addition of a PC version at launch would spread the development team “too thin.”

“You know, developing on PC is a different animal than developing for consoles and so we just want to make sure that we’re putting one foot in front of the other and getting it right, and that it’s of the highest possible quality,” he said. “But obviously I see the same things about the natural fit.”

As far back as April 2013, Bungie’s Lars Bakken said there was the possibility of a PC version being released in the future, with Osborne stating the following month the developer was looking into the possibility of cross-platform saves should the SKU be released.

Destiny is currently in alpha, and Dave’s been play around in it. APS4 beta starts in July month.

Destiny hits PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in September.

1. undermyrules

please dont bother…..

#1 2 months ago
  2. polygem

Please. Just. Do. It!!!

#2 2 months ago
  3. GK

500M and no PC version,are you kidding me? :D

#3 2 months ago
  4. TheWulf

It would have to compete with many other titles that are simply better than it, and don’t feel the need to be massively multiplayer. Besides, I’m perfectly okay without a game on my platform that uses damn near stolen assets, thank you.

#4 2 months ago
  5. bojack

@thewolf please explain

#5 2 months ago
  6. Xbone

We have Spelunky, GTA5, Dead Rising3. All I need is the GT series and there will be no games I need from the whole console library :D

#6 2 months ago
  7. Takeshi

It would be sweet. I wouldn’t play it though, I imagine it’s the same kind of game as Borderlands which I just can’t get into.

#7 2 months ago
  8. Legendaryboss

I wouldn’t hold your breath. As for the subject at hand its probably a late port in addition to coming to those favourable Activision platforms.

#8 2 months ago
  9. prudislav

Dont bother …. Prior to E3 i would be happy , but after E3 the game just looks bland and uninteresting from what they showed

#9 2 months ago
  10. zombizmo

Very funny, now the PC only crowd are too good for this game. Good shit.

#10 2 months ago
  11. undermyrules

@zombizmo honestly i saw it at E3 it sucked bad imo…so we wouldnt miss if never comes on pc….Borderlands with cartoon graphic looking better than Destiny ffs.

#11 2 months ago
  12. DarkElfa

It looks like the bastard offspring of Halo and Mass Effect.

#12 2 months ago
  13. CPC_RedDawn

To be quite honest, even though I have zero interest in the title as I think it looks extremely boring in videos.

I think they would be stupid NOT to release it on PC. With the ability to scale back the visuals so even lower end hardware could run it, and the fact that MMO’s AND FPS games are at home on the PC. It would make more sense to release it on PC in the long run. It probably will be pirated and local servers run, but the game would still show a decent profit on PC IF and only IF they take the time to optimize it and make it worth PC gamers time and money.

Also so far it has no subscription model, so its kind of like Guild Wars in a sense, where you buy the game and that is it you have that game for life (or until they turn the servers off that is).

#13 2 months ago
  14. Catgirlmasterrace

I tried the PS4 alpha, and I’m pretty pleasantly surprised! I wasn’t interested in it at all before, but now I’m really considering picking it up. Probably gonna hold off until I get to play the beta, but it looks worth the purchase.
    Sux though cause all my friends are too poor to buy a console and stick to PC no matter what.

#14 2 months ago
  15. dazedonthemoon

Well most of the people that have actually played it, including myself, are enjoying it. The little bit the Alpha has let us play has been very fun. Not boring at all. The devil’s lair strike mission had my whole fireteam on its toes. It was tense and pretty difficult.

From what I’ve seen, the majority of people on this site talking it down haven’t played the game at all. Whereas the people that have played it on here and what I’ve seen elsewhere online is overwhelmingly positive.

#15 2 months ago
  16. lubu

this game needs some singleplayer offline story mode, other than that it’s just waste of 500mil $. the game they showed at E3 was a boring multiplayer online shooter and it is not an MMO, it more like a coop multiplayer maybe some PvP in it.

#16 2 months ago
  17. silkvg247

That’s good news.. but they really also need to revise their multiplayer server policy to get a strong PC uptake. Player hosted servers let their entire franchise down. In mean I can’t even get a game going in Ghosts on my favourite game types.. pretty much all the time. Also hacks are rife.

I can’t see any argument against dedicated servers – does anyone know why they (Acti) keep shying away from them?

#17 2 months ago
  18. Panthro

Meh.

Alot of people on PC would like it so theres that, from the gameplay I have seen it looks pretty boring and ‘borderlandsy’ which I never fully played, always ended up getting a bit bored.

Would like that master chief collection though, just to get Halo 1 and 2 on Steam, not arsed about the visual upgrades, I’de just like the games to become ‘available’ again which would kick off the modding and multiplayer scene.

#18 2 months ago
  19. _LarZen_

Nah…let the filthy “master race” miss out on yet a block buster title. The ignorant pricks don’t deserve it.

:D

#19 2 months ago
  20. Vice

Just announce it already and be done with it…. I don’t care if I’ll have to wait few extra months, I just want to be able to play it if it ends up as good as expected.

#20 2 months ago
  21. Vice

@Catgirlmasterrace It’s not about being poor, it’s about having good taste. I bought xbox for my beloved Halo games and I felt handicapped playing them with controller. When I later switched to PC’s Halo-2 I finished in on legendary difficulty with almost no deaths, keyboard felt like if I got my hands back.

#21 2 months ago