The extended E3 2014 Destiny trailer is stunning

Friday, 13th June 2014 01:26 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Destiny was showcased with a lengthy trailer at E3 2014, but Bungie has now released a seven-minute extended cut including developer commentary and explanations of what you’re seeing and hearing.

Bungie co-founder Jason Jones explains the basic set up of the shared worlds shooter (we’re not calling it an MMO, but it is, hey) and shows off some new gameplay, with various environments and events to scope out.

Destiny is currently in alpha, and Dave’s been checking it out. Sony announced that the PS4 beta will kick off next month during its E3 conference. Sony’s pretty sure it’s going to be a system-seller, actually.

Detsiny hits PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in September.

1. budoshi

why i keep doing this to myself…if i had any doubt about the game.. they are gone now. nice video thx!

#1 3 months ago
  2. ddtd

@budoshi I just keep reading previews that say it looks and plays great but just feels flat overall. Hopefully I’ll get an Alpha invite so I can see for myself (or in beta later this year)

#2 3 months ago
  3. Luciferous

I just noticed i have my alpha code, oh gods I need to check when it goes live so I can get maximum time with it tomorrow!

#3 3 months ago
  4. ignoreLander

Wonder if it will have women in it?

#4 3 months ago
  5. jmg24bad

I’m playing the alpha and…. I like it. I was one of the doubters. I don’t doubt the game anymore

#5 3 months ago
  6. TheWulf

Yawn.

An ancient human civilisation? Where’s the fun in that? The romance? I mean, sure, if you’re actually dealing with an archaeological digsite, and you’re learning about actual past cultures, then that’s great. Because that’s reality. But in a story, you can go so much further, and you can imagine so much more.

And then “Taken by our enemies.” Nameless enemy, woo! “THE DARKNESS IS COMING!” and… I’m just wondering if this could be any more generic or passionless if it tried. I’m just not seeing the appeal, unless you genuinely like boring things. I mean, I remember the old Star Trek point & click adventure games, and how fun it was to poke the remnants of long, lost alien civilisations. Some of it was really alien and weird. I enjoyed the novelty of that, I like putting myself in unfamiliar situations.

But with this, you can bet that they’re doing their utmost to make it as homely and familiar as possible, so even though they’re ‘ruins,’ everything is going to be exactly as you expect it to be. I had more fun exploring the Technomite ruins in Size Matters than this looks, and that was my least favourite of the Ratchet & Clank games.

This just shows that they have absolutely no romance within their creation, they have no dreams, no ambitions, and they’re just out to create a very workmanlike thing. If anything is endemic of the mainstream problem I talked about, this is. You see, what it seems to be is that the extroverted demographic is small minded and scared of change, so they’re not really explorers. They like doing the same thing over and over in similar environments, they may seem like party animals, but drop a sole introvert and a group of extroverts onto an alien planet and see who survives.

Point is, this is one for the extroverts, it’s designed to be as unchallenging and dull as possible. I really feel for the poor sods who had to work on this.

At the centre of this city is THE TOWER, the place we return after every adventure.

You couldn’t think of anything better to name it than that? Honestly? I’m just sitting here coming up with names, and all of them are better than just calling it the bloody tower. Couldn’t even call it ‘the beacon, the guiding light that always leads us home’ or something. No, just the tower.

Also, space capes, and aesthetics almost directly stolen from Mass Effect (2 especially), Phantasy Star Online 2, and Warframe! Of course, we’re too thick to notice that outright theft, right? Quite a few people there looked so obviously like CAST and frames that I actually raised an eyebrow. And attaching a space cape to something that looks like Shepard’s hand-me-downs doesn’t really make it unique, either. You’re so completely creatively destitute, Bungie, that you have to steal from other people in order to fill out your own aesthetic. Lovely.

And is it just me or does the gameplay seem very similar to Warframe/ME3 multiplayer (which were also admittedly similar to each other), too?

There’s not a single unique thing, here.

I can’t watch this any more.

#6 3 months ago
  7. budoshi

sup guys here is a quick link for the radbrad you tube channel hes a reviewer of some kind and hes got the alpha so here it goes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPIZTu8v7nY i watched it its amazing cannot wait for the game make sure if you like to game to check it out and i don’t know if i can post that here if i can then enjoy if not well plz delete. take it easy!

#7 3 months ago
  8. budoshi

@TheWulf you are really biter aren’t you.. try smiling once in a while? lol and whats with all these extroverts hate ? they aren’t evil kind of humans lol you sure you know the difference between extroverts and introverts? because the way you see them as evil is kinda strange..

#8 3 months ago
  9. budoshi

@TheWulf you are really bitter aren’t you.. try smiling once in a while? lol and whats with all these extroverts hate ? they aren’t a evil kind of humans lol you sure you know the difference between extroverts and introverts? because the way you see them as evil is really strange.

#9 3 months ago
  10. dazedonthemoon

@budoshi
    He doesn’t have time to play games, not with all the long ass comments he writes.

As one who is currently playing the Alpha, it’s pretty damn fun. Feels more well put together than I though it would be for it being an alpha. One thing I was thinking by watching early footage was that it looked too easy, which is not the case. Got my ass whooped when I jumped into a public event that was above my level. Had to lay low and play smart. Loving it so far and tou can tell it’s a labor of love for Bungie.

#10 3 months ago
  11. futbolero619

SWEET! I just got a free Minecraft card code at http://minecraftcode.me/

#11 3 months ago