Minecraft: Mojang and Warner Bros working on movie deal

Thursday, 27th February 2014 22:56 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Minecraft creator Markus “Notch” Persson has said Mojang is working with Warner Bros. on a film adaptation of the phenomenally sucecssful sandbox.

minecraft

“Someone is trying leak the fact that we’re working with Warner Brothers on a potential Minecraft Movie. I wanted to be the leak,” Notch said on Twitter.

Unfortunately, as the word “potential” suggests, the project is not yet a done deal. In a statement issued to Polygon, Notch said his early reveal was inspired by the impending leak.

“It’s for real. I think every part of that tweet was real, including me wanting to be the one to spill the news about a potential movie,” he said.

“It would be nice to tell people when it’s 100% solid rather than to leak it before it’s completely final, but our hands were a bit tied and rushed here.”

The leak Notch is referring to may be a Deadline article, which claims Warner Bros. has already acquire the rights and that the fledgling deal is already attracting “huge interest”.

Lego Movie producer Roy Lee is said to be on board via Vertigo Entertainment.

Thanks, PlayerAttack.

1. Tiucaner

So that’s why he didn’t allow Rocket Jump’s production on their fan film…

#1 8 months ago
  2. Fin

JASON “BAMF” STATHAM TO STAR?

#2 8 months ago
  3. Xbone

#3 8 months ago
  4. kisame

i thing i must be the only gamer in the earth that haven’t played this game lol

#4 8 months ago
  5. CPC_RedDawn

Whilst I do not play Minecraft, I can see its appeal, and I can see this could be a massive success for both parties involved. Better do it quick though whilst Minecraft is still on people’s minds as I believe it will soon start to dwindle in popularity.

#5 8 months ago
  6. treeroy

@CPC_RedDawn I wouldn’t bet on it. Here in the UK, Minecraft has been in the top 10 selling games consistently for several years. It’s outselling GTA V right now. It just won’t stop selling!
    It’s going to be around and living for a very long time. If it were some niche thing then I would be inclined to agree with you, but it’s not. It’s currently the second best selling game EVER, beaten out only by Tetris. Tetris hasn’t gone away in its 30 years of existence. Minecraft’s been around for, what, 5 years? It’ll keep going.

#6 8 months ago
  7. helicz

jsem teda zvÄ›dav…

#7 8 months ago
  8. POOhead

if its true then im guessing a 2017 or 16 release then if all goes smoothly

#8 8 months ago
  9. X14EVR

hope its based on xbox version not pc version

#9 8 months ago
  10. X14EVR

@treeroy

only really been out 2 years
    pc version doesnt count since thats the shit version

#10 8 months ago