Dying Light producer decries “lazy” Mirror’s Edge, Dead Island comparisons

Monday, 25th November 2013 01:27 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Comparing Dying Light to other first-person action games only paints “a very small part of the picture” of what TechLand is trying to do, according to producer Tymon Smektala.

Speaking to Ausgamers, Smektala agreed with the comparisons but didn’t want the conversation to end there.

“I think it’s a lazy thing to say. If you look at the game, it has zombies in it and it’s melee-based, so it is Dead Island, then you look at it again and see that the motion has that free-running aspect to it, so it is Mirror’s Edge,” he said.

“Of course, that description is ok, and covers the basics of Dying Light, but I don’t personally really like that description because it’s just a very small part of the picture that we’re trying to paint here.”

The producer said Mirror’s Edge was an important game, but it was quite linear with very few interactive objects.

“With the current demo of Dying Light, and how the whole game plays right now you’re really not limited. You can think of any way to get around the environment and you can use that way, if it looks like it’s realistic for you to go there,” he said.

A recent Dying Light trailer shows off the game’s lighting capabilities. The horror sandbox is coming to PC, PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One next year.

1. TheWulf

That’s not really fair. Mirror’s Edge had lots of interactive objects, relating to what it was trying to be — a parkour experience. No, it didn’t have a computer sitting around that you could play Solitaire on like, say, an open world game. That would have ruined it, frankly. No, it had something much, much better — focus.

And yes, it was linear to a point in regards to it being a parkour racing game. But it had loads of secrets, hidden paths, and alternative routes which were meant to be found and used by speed runners. In that way, it was eloquent.

In fact, Mirror’s Edge 2 being open world terrifies me slightly as it might lose that, because it probably won’t be half as clever as, say, Burnout Paradise.

I don’t want open world in my enjoyable, finely crafted parkour experiences. That’s like putting syrup in my coffee. Whilst syrup might actually serve a purpose beyond being pure sugar in a liquid form, I don’t exactly want it in my coffee. I’d rather just have a tasty, clearly defined coffee drinking experience.

Of course, if you can add something novel to my coffee that will make it more interesting, I’m up for it. But I hate adding ubiquitous things to other things because ubiquitous.

And that’s what the open world thing is. It’s adding it to other stuff because ubiquitous.

And really, I think it’s kind of disingenuous of a developer to attack one of the few mainstream games to have been blessed with both creativity and vision. And it’s simply just plain dumb to do that if what you’re insulting it and developing a zombie game at the same time — because let’s face it, there’s nothing more homogeneous, ubiquitous, or lacking in creative vision than zombies.

Anyone can do a zombie game, that’s why it’s such a popular genre. Though I can only think of probably one instance of doing it rather well (and that would be The Walking Dead.)

#1 8 months ago
  2. Playmaker

State of Decay is a very very good Zombie game

#2 8 months ago
  3. SplatteredHouse

Whenever I see comments like that about audiences not understanding/misunderstanding what a game is, nine times out of ten, it’s a neon signpost to a lacking prelaunch/prolonged restrictive coverage and subsequent tunneled impression having been left. (and/or misperceptions having been left unchallenged for too long).

In these cases, I don’t have much sympathy for the secretive/dripfeeding publisher, as they’re the ones that left that stuff (medias/impressions) out there; but to then say that it’s a lazy way of considering it is a bit much. because, you can interpret what is shown any way, but they KNOW how it actually is, and, frankly, if they want to sell this game they have to, and their responsibility is to convey what the game is – and accurately, lest it harm them in the long run.

#3 8 months ago
  4. Djoenz

There arent a lot first person zombie games on consoles. Im a ps3 player so I havent played L4D ever and neither ZombiU. This leaves me with not a lot of options unfortunately. I love the fact DI and DI2 are first person and has melee weapons. For the second game they will put night and day adaptable gameplay in and parkour.

I will buy this most definitely. Im a sucker for zombies too.

#4 8 months ago
  5. wildBoar

Watch the gameplay trailer. It looks more like Mirror’s Edge than fucking Mirror’s Edge 2 does.. If I didn’t know any better I would’ve thought the jumping/climbing mechanics were pulled right out of the game engine.

Even the little snap-backwards quickturn Faith does while wallrunning, PULLED RIGHT OUT of Mirror’s Edge. Pretty much every free running animation in the game looks exactly the same.. And we shouldn’t compare the two?

Scumbag dev keeps scumbagging #News

#5 8 months ago
  6. Ali

I have seen enough vids of this game to come into conclusion that it can actually be safely described as a DeadIsland with Night twist + Mirror Edge agility. The amount of resemblance is so big that the devs shouldn’t try to hide or to deny. If anything, aside from the night twist, Mirror Edge similarities are what keeping me interested.

#6 8 months ago
  7. DrDamn

I had this pre-judged as yet another zombie game and then watched a video of someone playing the game. It looks like a fantastic amount of fun. Now very much interested.

#7 8 months ago
  8. ArithonUK

Saw this game at EuroGamer and the comparison to Mirror’s Edge was the first thought, but only in the sense that it included a well executed parkour element.
    Personally I didn’t see it as being like Dead Island that much other than being an RPG and featuring zombies. It just didn’t feel the same.

#8 8 months ago
  9. absolutezero

The melee animations are identical to Dead Island. They are pulled directly from that game, theres more than just those in the gameplay footage released so far. Zombie animations, the voice work, the movement and camera work. Its intensely similar in a hell of alot of places.

I hope by taking a more opaque approach to promotion that people will actually be able to see what the game is like before release not the Borderlands with zombies that the original Dead Island became.

#9 8 months ago
  10. Pitts

People like both games. What’s to get bent out of shape about?

#10 8 months ago
  11. talos

This comment probably reflects Dying Lights producer Tymon Smektala’s personality more than any relevant game gossip. People are always going to compare what they know to what they don’t, and Smektala simply missed an opportunity to spin these comparisons into something positive regarding his game. He should have said something to the effect of “Its an honor to be compared to such great games. We hope to expand upon the principles of many games, and in doing so invent a completely new experience” For goodness sakes he’s producing a ZOMBIE game… and takes offense to comparisons? For the record anyone who attacks Mirror’s Edge obviously spent no time with it. The game is brilliant, and that it STILL is the best example of free running in video games… is both frustrating and telling. The design of mirrors edge required incredible skill to mesh player and environment (a lot like the portal games). Mirror’s edge is much more a Tony Hawk, or Skate type game than action adventure – even in the story mode the gamer competes for best line, times, and smooth execution of level segments. Simply adding this control scheme to an open environment will not guarantee Dying Light’s success, but its certainly something I’d like to play (along with discovering everything else this game will have to offer)

#11 8 months ago