TellTale to announce new “dream IP” projects soon

Thursday, 31st October 2013 10:59 GMT By Dave Cook

Walking Dead: Season 2 developer TellTale Games has taken to Reddit to discuss its current and future projects with fans. Studio co-founder Dan Connors has teased that the studio is working on a few “Dream IP” projects that it will announce soon.

You’ll find the Reddit thread here, during which Connors was asked if he’d like to make a game based on the Star Wars license.

He replied, “Coming from LucasArts we have so many people here that love Star Wars and have worked with the license so that would be a great fit and very cool. In addition we will be working on a few licenses that definitely fall into our dream IP scenario and we can’t wait to announce those.”

Fellow co-founder Kevin Bruner added, “A Telltale Star Wars game would make me VERY happy! We’ve got some IP coming up that pretty much checks all of my personal favourites, which absolutely amazes/honours me.”

Would you like to see TellTale tackle the Star Wars license?

Meanwhile, you can check out some fresh screens from The Walking Dead: Season Two starring Clementine.

Via Polygon.

1. mauzed

Sandman?

#1 10 months ago
  2. DSB

I hope they don’t overextend themselves with all the stuff they’re doing. I’m sure they only have so many writers to go around.

Screw Star Wars though. Yuck.

#2 10 months ago
  3. absolutezero

I would kill someone if they make a Sandman title. Really.

They must have the process of making these games down to perfection at this point, its been over 10 years of the same game with different colours.

#3 10 months ago
  4. DSB

What I don’t get is how they can do Sam and Max with everything looking like raw 3D models, and then move on to two different comic books before they start cel-shading dat shit and writing it properly.

Y u do dis Telltale?

#4 10 months ago
  5. Ireland Michael

A Sandman game? Oh god, yes please.

#5 10 months ago
  6. absolutezero

pls no.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#6 10 months ago
  7. monkeygourmet

Clive Barkers ‘Books of Blood’ series please!!! This would be a dream come true!

#7 10 months ago
  8. SplatteredHouse

Would 2k let them have a go at Bioshock? Imagine for instance, a Telltale presenting of the events up to, and including the fall of Rapture, or an entirely new situation from which to adventure, which offers narrative weaves back to existing events.

@2 Absolutely. Another SW game is about as appetizing a suggestion as another Batman game using the current buildkit

#8 10 months ago
  9. VibraniumSpork

@1,5 Welp, Gaiman’s back in the Sandman business of late – maybe he’d take a run scripting it for Telltale?

#9 10 months ago
  10. Ireland Michael

@6 I think if anyone could do it justice, it would be Telltale. It will definitely be tricky to pull off though.

With the success of The Walking Dead and the critical acclaim for the first part of The Wolf Among Us, they probably have requests flying in from every corner, but my money is on more Vertigo / DC related stuff. Hellraiser, maybe?

#10 10 months ago
  11. bitsnark

I would be quite partial to some Preacher actually!

#11 10 months ago
  12. Dragon

Oh no, more QTE games!
    They aren’t games, they are movies. They are destroying the industry.
    ….

Anyway, glad they are doing well. VN type games are something I really like, and TellTale is one of the best in the western market in that regard.

#12 10 months ago
  13. Ireland Michael

I’ve always wondered…

If point and click adventures only started becoming a thing now, or the Internet had been prevalent in the early days of gaming… would people have derided them as “non games” the way some people deride these?

Their gameplay essentially consisted of nothing more than dialogue trees and clicking one item on another. In the more poorly designed ones, you just clicked everything on everything until you found the right answer.

Really, what’s the difference? These games are essentially just the evolution of that genre, in a more engaging and interactive manner, and I for one think that’s an absolutely great thing

#13 10 months ago
  14. DSB

@13 The genius of The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us is that they take the Sid Meier approach and make it about decisions, instead of puzzlesolving.

And because the writing is good, you don’t feel like a chump for simply picking “Gandhi” or “Hitler” like you would in a Bioware game, for example.

It’s the same reason why The Witcher 2 was great.

There really aren’t any puzzles there. A few QTEs, but QTEs never made anything better.

I guess it makes me a little ambivalent. It really is adventure games 2.0, more than it is “teh classics”.

But as long as I can stock up on Wadjet Eye games on the side, I’m good.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Dragon

@13,
    Platinumed Virtues Last Reward last week. Great VN.

#15 10 months ago
  16. Joe Musashi

@7 I don’t think “The Body Politic” would work half as well as a game than as a page-turner.

I was a massive Clive Barker fan back in the day. Things seemd to go rather tepid after around Coldheart Canyon.

JM

#16 10 months ago
  17. monkeygourmet

He is one of my favourite authors, haven’t tried Coldheart Canyon, but I had heard it didn’t have the same allure as some of his other work.

I adore Books of Blood though, so many fantastic and imaginative stories.

Body Politic was great but one of my favourites has to be ‘In the Hills, the Cities’ for the sheer imagery it creates. Incredible stuff!

And your right, thinking about it, I have no idea how half of the stories would work as a game! ;) Still, wishful thinking eh?!

#17 10 months ago
  18. absolutezero

I want an Abarat game

I want him to fucking finish Abarat.

#18 10 months ago
  19. DSB

Why settle for Barker though? Lovecraft, homies. Shub-Niggurath and Herbert West up in that bitch. I’m pretty sure that’s just the right kind of gloomy for Telltale.

#19 10 months ago
  20. absolutezero

Telltale Presents Dunwich : Noises in the Night.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

#20 10 months ago
  21. Joe Musashi

I found Barker’s imagination and imagery quite mind-blowing. Reading stuff like Stephen King aftwards seemed quite bland. Weaveworld was my introduction to his stuff and was probably the first book I ever read that I dreaded getting to the end of because I was enjoying it so much. That said, the last paragraph of that book was pitch-perfect.

I’d also recommend Michael Marshall Smith as someone with a similar imagination. Try “Only Forwards” and “Spares”*. More sci-fi than horror but with an equally dark streak. The stuff written under “Michael Marshall” is not so great though. He tended to write in the first person perspective which would probably translate well to a game. Only Forwards could work well – especially as an episodic tale.

JM

*Spares was bought and turned into a Michael Bay film that I’m not going to name. I’d say 1% of the book is in that film!

#21 10 months ago
  22. monkeygourmet

I will try those, thanks.

I highly recommend ‘The Saliva Tree’ by Brian Aldiss. A quaint British sci-fi short novel that oozes atmosphere and unease. A great page turner.

#22 10 months ago