Star Wars: Battlefront chance is “scary”, says DICE boss

Wednesday, 16 October 2013 00:43 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Star Wars: Battlefront is a dream project for Battlefield developer DICE – but also something of a nightmare, because “you can only screw up”, apparently.

Speaking at a BAFTA event, as reported by IGN, DICE executive producer Patrick Bach described the developer’s reaction to learning it had been given the chance to opportunity on Star Wars: Battlefront.

“We weren’t as cocky when we got the chance, because to take on something like this is scary, as you can imagine. You can only screw up, right?” he said.

“We’ve been promising ourselves if we’re doing this we need to do it right. So trust me, we’re hard at work to figure this one out.”

Interestingly, Bach revealed DICE had been having internal discussions about the project in the lead up to Disney granting EA the rights to develop Star Wars games.

“For some strange reason – coincidence, I don’t know – we had a discussion at the office about what happened to Battlefront. You know, the old IP that someone else made that was a ripoff of Battlefield. Bastards. We should’ve made it. It was a competition of powers. We couldn’t do both at the same time,” he said.

“For some reason EA was negotiating with Lucas slash Disney, as to whom should make the new Star Wars games. And just a week later it was like, ‘Oh, by the way, that discussion you were having about Star Wars? Do you want to make it?’ ‘Well, yeah.’”

The new Battlefront game is not Battlefront 3 but a standalone game. It’s coming in 2015, and DICE seems really excited about the project.

Latest