Red Dead Redemption name-dropped in Take-Two’s aim to establish permanent franchises

Wednesday, 31st July 2013 13:09 GMT By Dave Cook

Red Dead Redemption sequel rumours have died down recently, but according to Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick, the Wild West franchise is part of the publisher’s ongoing strategy to eke out permanent franchises. Could it be next on the company’s slate after GTA 5?

During Take Two’s investor call last night, Zelnick said, “Our goal is to try to create permanent franchises, that’s the unique goal in the industry. Our competitors do not see it that way.

“Our competitors’ view is that our franchise will have a certain life, and at the end of that life, you move onto the next thing, so you better make hay while the sun shines. Our view is to the contrary. The best franchises are permanent franchises.

“Outside of our business you can look at James Bond, for example. And it’s been our goal not just to preserve and grow the Grand Theft Auto franchise, but also to build other franchises that we think can be permanent, whether that’s the Red Dead franchise or the Borderlands franchise or the BioShock franchise or others, Civilization, for example.

“So I think in certain instances, we’d like to see releases paced a little more closely together. I don’t really think next-gen is going to change the production approach sufficiently that, that will be the difference that makes the difference.”

So then, where do you think Red Dead might go next? Let us know what you think below, and if you missed the Take-Two financials you can play catch up here.

Thanks, Seeking Alpha.

1. YoungZer0

Yes, please. RDR is my favorite Rockstar game, even with it’s writing.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

Prequel: lets see what John did in the past as he rode in a gang, an outlaw to the end.

#2 1 year ago
  3. YoungZer0

@2: No, I disagree. I like playing a western during the last days of the wild west.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

Thats interesting although would be very odd to see, i think a prequel is the right way to go: it will make understanding RDR much better.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Koolcast

Wonder if they would make a Red Dead Redemption 2, or if it would be a Red Dead 3. Red Dead Revolver was great too.

#5 1 year ago
  6. YoungZer0

@5: Probably Red Dead R*something.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Clupula

I wouldn’t think they’d use a number for whatever the next game is, rather they’d do what Zer0 says in 6 and just use a new R word.

#7 1 year ago
  8. tmac2011

they trade marked a bully 2 also so they might have two games that they’ll be working on, i cant wait for another red dead game!

#8 1 year ago
  9. Pytox

omg nice :D

#9 1 year ago
  10. silverstorm

@2 +1000. Imagine robbing a train with your outlaw buddies.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Lengendaryboss

The endless possibilities.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Kyle Jackson

PC please.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Sadismek

Red Dead Redemption was a system seller for me. Whenever they release the sequel, I might step on my principles and buy a next-gen console for this game only, just as I did with my PS3. That’s how much I loved this game.

#13 1 year ago
  14. FrankWhite

I don’t want the story to be connected to Marston or Redemption, in the same way that Redemption wasn’t connected to Red Dead Revolver. It should just be a western themed game, but not a direct sequel or prequel.

Also the voice actor for John Marston is retired from acting, so it is unlikely that the character of Marston would be voiced by him, and if it is not voiced by him, I don’t want to hear it.

#14 1 year ago
  15. YoungZer0

@12: Yeah, I wouldn’t mind a PC port as well. They seem to have figured it out with Max Payne 3, so this might actually be a good port now.

The modding possibilities. IMAGINE THEM!

#15 1 year ago
  16. joshua nash

Bully 2 and an RDR sequel would be most appreciated

#16 1 year ago
  17. mistermogul

Would love another RDR, was one of my fav games this gen..

#17 1 year ago
  18. NightCrawler1970

as long Rock star make that game im fine, but if rockstar give it to Takes 2… it going to be a cut up game and lotta DLC and expansions, like what happens with Mafia II

#18 1 year ago
  19. Sadismek

@18 Wat.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Lengendaryboss

Could he be referring to 2K games or TakeTwo?

#20 1 year ago
  21. Sadismek

@20 Figured as much, but Rockstar being wholly owned by Take-Two, what he said makes little to no sense at all. Rockstar “giving” the game to Take-Two? Ummm.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Juicimus Prime Rib

To echo what someone else said. You don’t have to make it a direct sequel to RDRedemption. A prequel could be cool. Either way they go, I’m cool as long as they return to the old west.

#22 1 year ago