Warframe coming to PlayStation 4

Wednesday, 5th June 2013 01:50 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Digital Extremes’ free-to-play sci-fi action effort Warframe is on the way to the PlayStation 4, which is a bit of a turn up for the books.

The previously PC-exclusive title will be a launch title for the new console, according to IGN, which ought to give it plenty of exposure.

The Dual Shock 4′s various special features will be used in-game, although details are not yet avaikable.

“Sony caught wind of [Warframe], and said, ‘hey, what do you think of bringing it over to PlayStation 4?’, and we were very surprised to hear that,” creative director Steve Sinclair said.

Sinclair said Sony has been “incredibly supportive and available” to the independent developer, and that the deal leaves Digital extremes with its rights.

“We don’t have to necessarily get into bed with a publisher and sell away our ideas and kind of lose our creative vision for the game,” he said.

The PlayStation 4 is “awesome”, and “incredible” to develop for, he added.

“I don’t want to speak disparagingly about any existing or prior platforms, but we showed Warframe for the first time to our entire studio, and everyone had their jaws on the floor, how 1080p, silky smooth and beautiful it was,” he said.

“So, I’m really, really enjoying working on the machine.”

Warframe is a procedurally-generated third-person co-op affair with loads of crafting and customisation, and multiple classes with various strengths, including melee. Sinclair describes it as “Mass Effect meets Ninja Gaiden”. It has over 1 million registered users.

1. ps3fanboy

i guess the pc master race must be furious now, since they lost this awesome exclusive…

2. YoungZer0

That makes me happy. Now more people can play this awesome game.

3. SlayerGT

Yes!! I only just heard about this game thanks to Bro Team. This game looks awesome. Ninjas with guns!? Yes!

4. YoungZer0

I just wish there was some kind of singleplayer focused storyline with much more open areas. Remember the old Dark Sector trailer? That’s basically what this game is:

5. NeoSquall

This game is like a cake with a pretty external frosting and a stale internal sponge.

6. TD_Monstrous69

NOOOOOOOO!!!! PC IS FOREVER THE MASTER RACE!!! HOW CAN THEY DO THIS?!!! Nah, I’m just fuckin with ya’ll, I look forward to playing it on PS4. Though I got to say, for a console that says it doesn’t want to be just an FPS console, it’s certainly compiled a significant number of them coming to PS4. Here’s just a few I can name off the top of my head; KillZone Shadowfall, Destiny, Call of Duty Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Black Light Retribution. Hope this shooting gallery’s broken up a bit at Sony’s E3 press conference.

7. machy

@6 sony only has power over the 1st party, 3rd party re free to do what ever they want .. so far KZ is the only FPS game from sony itself

and u can chill for few days and c for ur self at e3

8. livewired500

This is cool. I have yet to play this on the PC, but I might actually be more inclined on the console as I have a much larger friends list on PSN.

@6 you realize that Warframe is a TPS, right?

9. TD_Monstrous69

@Machy Have u ever heard of sarcasm? U should try it sometime, because that was 50% of my post, the rest was nothing more than a musing observance, not a compliant, and I get how content is distributed. Hope I’ve cleared the air a bit. Can’t wait for E3.
    And “egg on my face” moment, no I didn’t realize this was a 3rd person shooter, please excuse my ignorance.

10. Yoshi

‘although details are not yet avaikable.’
    available

11. redwood

really like this game but not a fan of their pay2Win model :(.. lets hope they balance it more on the ps4… good news btw :D

12. Yoshi

@11 I can’t see how it’s pay2win when the main focus is co-op :P

13. redwood

@12 yes yes.. true.. but if you pay the game is way more enjoyable

14. Llewelyn_MT

No, it’s not. Most of the good stuff is crafted and you can only get crafting materials through grinding. Revive tokens might be the only relevant thing bought with RL money, but you never need them if you play co-op. I’m spending my $10 worth of free platinum I got for free on new warframe and weapon slots. Even if I need more, these things are dirt cheap anyway.

15. redwood

hmm i guess i need to look deeper into it :) thanks

16. backup

PC are even losing MMO’s Now lol
    sony domination continues

17. hives

Cool, it’s really nice co-op shooter. First War Thunder, now this… Wonder if Planetside 2 will be on PS4 as well.

18. OmegaSlayer

Never followed this game…watched the vid and I’m in love now since I loved Mass Effect multiplayer soooooooooooooo much.
    Is there a cover system?

19. roadkill

Why would we be mad because more people can play the game!?

20. Christopher Jack

@1, Any decent person shouldn’t care if a previous exclusive franchise expands to other consoles.

21. redwood

would be awesome to have pc players vs ps4 players..

22. NeoSquall

@18 ME3 multiplayer is a thousand times better than Warframe, stick to it.
    And no, there’s no cover system in Warframe, nor any realistic hit detection system: enemy shots just pass through obstacles and hit you.
    Weapons feel dull and, at the first levels, pretty inaccurate, melee attacks look interesting but in the end aren’t worth the assle because they don’t “stick” to the enemy you’re performing it to like in ME3, and the skills don’t really change base “run and shoot” gameplay.

23. roadkill

What Neo said. I want to love this game because it looks pretty slick, it has a nice concept but the gameplay falls short of my expectations.

24. xino

oh sweeet!

MAKES me want to get a PS4 as soon as the beast comes out!